Branches of Aikido

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Caine said:
Here is an excerpt from an interview with Minori Hirai who was partly responsible for the name change:

I believe you played major role in the name-change from Aiki Budo to Aikido when you were a representative of the Kobukan Dojo to the Daí Nihon Butokukai (see side bar).

I was the Director of General Affairs of the Kobukan beginning around 1942 and I helped out Ueshiba Sensei in dayly matters. "Aikido", rather than being a specifically selected name, was the term used to refer to "Butokukai-Ryu", aiki budo within the Daí Nippon Butokukai. The headquarters of the Daí Nippon Butokukai was located in Kyoto and Butokuden centers were set up in all prefectures. Tatsuo Hisatomi from the Kodokan, and Shohei Fujinuma from Kendo, were close friends of mine. The Butokukai was an independent, umbrella organization for the martial arts, and it also was in charge of martial arts in the police departments.

Go here for further reading

http://www.aikidojournal.com/articles/_article.asp?ArticleID=738
If you mention Minori Hirai you should also mention he founded his own Aikido M.A.: "Korindo Aikido". Unlike most of the Aikido styles you mentioned so far, Korindo Aikido not only does not consider itself to be a branch of Ueshiba's teaching, it is also not based on daito ryu, rather on other Koryu styles Minori Hirai studied.

Amir

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never heard of Korindo Aikido--can you say more about it? What were the styles on which it was based?

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What would you like to know ?

Korindo Aikido is mostly based on the styles Hirai sensei learned, some of those were: Togun Ryu Jujutsu, Takanouchi ryu, Kito-Ryo. Hirai specialized in Nito (two swords) as well as empty handed fighting and developed his own method of movement practice: now known among Korindo Aikido practitioners as the 8 circular tai-sabaki moves. He opened his first Dojo "Kogado-Dojo" at 1934 in Okayama. Hirai met Ueshiba for the first time in 1939 and later came to Tokyo at Ueshiba invitation and became thhe general manger of Ueshiba dojo. Hirai later (1942) left Ueshiba for a job at the Dai-Nihon-Butokukai, as the head of the department named as "Aikido" (note this is the coining of the "aikido" name, in a committee with Shohei Fujinuma & Tatsu Hisatomi , the latter invented the name). Hirai started his own dojo and system after the war, and named it "Korindo Aikido", the system has evolved under Hirai leadership and has several branches in Japan, Honk-Kong, Israel, Germany and I believe currently there are affiliated branches also in Italy & Mexico. Hirai passed away during the year of 1997 at the age of 94.

Today's Korindo Aikido includes even more Koryu systems then those Hirai has learned. Hirai had an open mind and encouraged the inclusion of more traditional weapons work, based on studies his students had made in other koryu systems (I am afraid I have not research this issue well enough to give specifics, I do know our studies of Bo are based on material learned by one of the Shihans).

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Amir

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today's Korindo Aikido includes even more Koryu systems then those Hirai has learned.

So, it's to some extent a collection of traditional systems, but with its own take on movement?

It's interesting to learn about a whole different type of Aikido!

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, it's to some extent a collection of traditional systems, but with its own take on movement?
Its a modern eclectic style that is based on it's historical predecessors and takes material from them, then adds it's own concept of movement, tactics and strategy to construct a distinct M.A.

Amir

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yari said:
I do agree, and would love to see it in "action"!

/Yari
I am afraid you would have to look very hard for a Korindo Aikido Dojo. Unlike Ueshiba Aikido, Korindo is a very small M.A. with less then a thousand trainees world wide. I should also warn that different teachers teach different content, having been in Japan, I came to the conclusion Hirai, Korindo Aikido founder, did have a single form in mind and tried believed the M.A. itself should be soft and adapt to the practitioner.

Amir

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like Ueshiba Aikido, many styles and forms have popped up inspired by peoples individuality.

/Yari

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yari said:
Sounds like Ueshiba Aikido, many styles and forms have popped up inspired by peoples individuality.

/Yari
I don't know about Ueshiba Aikido, in Korindo, it is still a single branch, with different approaches. As I have said, I have heard direct students of Hirai saying he told several of them they were practicing a correct form although each performed the same movement in a diffrent way.

Amir

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
amir said:
....Hirai saying he told several of them they were practicing a correct form although each performed the same movement in a diffrent way.

Amir

I can't see this for me, could you come with an example? Wouldn't the form change if the movement changes? Typically the same thing we see in other styles.

/Yari

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess the problem is with my English.

A simple example would be a certain Tai-Sabaki, which both of these senior teachers taught with slight differences (angles of movement, depth of going down), each said he knows his interpretation is correct since Hirai told him so.

Looking at it from my side, I cam to the conclusion both interpretations were correct, depending on the implementation one thinks of. And when looking at the Tai-Sabaki movement as a general concept, both interpretations were worth practice since each emphasized another principle (strength of movement Vs fluidity and mobility to next movement).

I hope I am more understandable now.

Amir

P.S.
I should note that Korindo Aikido consider a set of 8 Tai-Sabaki movements as one of the pillars of study in the art.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
amir said:
I guess the problem is with my English.

A simple example would be a certain Tai-Sabaki, which both of these senior teachers taught with slight differences (angles of movement, depth of going down), each said he knows his interpretation is correct since Hirai told him so.

Looking at it from my side, I cam to the conclusion both interpretations were correct, depending on the implementation one thinks of. And when looking at the Tai-Sabaki movement as a general concept, both interpretations were worth practice since each emphasized another principle (strength of movement Vs fluidity and mobility to next movement).

I hope I am more understandable now.

Amir

P.S.
I should note that Korindo Aikido consider a set of 8 Tai-Sabaki movements as one of the pillars of study in the art.

Ok I get the point. What are your 8 Taisabaki movements?

/Yari

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since ther is no chance I will be able to explain them all in words, it might be better to read some more on the intention behind the moves:

http://www.freewebz.com/aikido/lecture/unit3.htm

The 4 "first" Tai Sabaki are:
180 degrees turn (turn in place)
360 degrees turn (similar to tenkan in Ueshiba Aikido yet different in the use of the hip).
Kote Kiri or 45 degrees outing
Irimi Sabaki (enter in irmi then turn 180 stepping back)

I doubt I would be able to describe the next 4, I could recomend a book my teacher wrote which describes them in detail with pictures though (but it is only available through him - no distribution).

Amir

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. loved reading about it.

I know of different aikido schools were the same different taisabaki are using. I don't know if the finer details are the same, but it looks the same.

Another point I found very interessting is the "were to rotate on the foot" discussion.

/Yari

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yari said:
Thanks. loved reading about it.

I know of different aikido schools were the same different taisabaki are using. I don't know if the finer details are the same, but it looks the same.

/Yari
I have never seen similar Tai sabaki in any other Aikido school, the only "tai sabaki" I saw being taught in a methodical way in Ueshiba Aikido is the tenkan, which has some external similarity to the 360 degrees turn in korindo, though the inner movement is not similar.
I would be most interested to hear of Tai-Sabaki in other Aikido schools besides Korindo.

Amir

H

Hazuki-san

I have recently made a decision to begin training in the art of Aikido (for Self-Defense and to better myself). However, I am not sure what style to study. I was thinking of studying the style developed by O'Sensei. Thoughts and Opinions? Is there an online Database where I can research the different styles (compare and contrast aspects and techniques), so that I can make an educated decision on which style suites what I want? Thanks in advance.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
amir said:
I have never seen similar Tai sabaki in any other Aikido school, the only "tai sabaki" I saw being taught in a methodical way in Ueshiba Aikido is the tenkan, which has some external similarity to the 360 degrees turn in korindo, though the inner movement is not similar.
I would be most interested to hear of Tai-Sabaki in other Aikido schools besides Korindo.

Amir

It would be hard to define on "print" the different ways of taisabaki. But if you look at "the dynamic Sphere of Aikido" (I think it's called), they have describe many taisabaki. Maybe that would give you a hint.

/Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hazuki-san said:
I have recently made a decision to begin training in the art of Aikido (for Self-Defense and to better myself). However, I am not sure what style to study. I was thinking of studying the style developed by O'Sensei. Thoughts and Opinions? Is there an online Database where I can research the different styles (compare and contrast aspects and techniques), so that I can make an educated decision on which style suites what I want? Thanks in advance.

That wouls be hard, since alot of styles have individual slants inside the same style. I would "shop" around if possible, and then descide. Another factor is the teacher him/herself.

/Yari

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hazuki-san said:
The style is much less important then the teacher. Look for a good teacher for Aikido, and one that places importance on S.D. look at a few lessons, see if the practice corresponds with your expectations. For example, if S.D. is of importance, you would expect advanced students to practice against multiple attack situations including punches, kicks and repetitive attacks rather then only arm grabbing situations.

The Ueshiba Aikido styles are large, there are very good teachers for S.D. in styles less reputed for it and vice versa.

Yari said:
It would be hard to define on "print" the different ways of taisabaki. But if you look at "the dynamic Sphere of Aikido" (I think it's called), they have describe many taisabaki. Maybe that would give you a hint.

Never read the book, and I do not know what is written inside. I have however seen lots of other styles of Aikido (not all, I have yet to see Tomiki style). I even practiced in an Aikikai dojo for a few months. I have never seen any movement that resembles the basic TaiSabaki we practice. I have seen many cases in which the movement became much longer and less applicable in my eyes due to this lack.

Amir

Latest Discussions