Boy barred from playing on girl's field hockey team

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/stor...d-from-girls-varsity-field-hockey-team-042612

Thought this was an interesting article. So, do you think that since there is no equivalent of a boy's team that he should be allowed to play? What about all the girl's who have to be allowed on the boys teams when there is not an equivalent sport (football, wrestling for example). Or do we REALLY get down to what people don't want to say about gender equality? Basically, the rule states that a boy can play a girl sport as long as he's not too good. Or translation, we will let girls play football and wrestling because they won't be good enough to change the dynamic of the sport, but if we allow boy's to play they will be better than the girls and overtake the sport. Which isn't gender equality at all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here mixed teams in sports are usually allowed up to the age of about 11, after that the size and strength differences start to be apparent which leads to inequalities.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you imagine the uproar if this was a girl banned from playing on a boy's team? "Gender equality" only exists one way and only when it's convenient.

The strength advantage does exist though. In something like wrestling or Judo its very difficult for any girl to overcome a similarly sized boy regardless of skill level. I don't think girls should be competing against boys at all, but if girls are allowed on the boy's team there's no reason this kid shouldn't be allowed to play.

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/stor...d-from-girls-varsity-field-hockey-team-042612

Thought this was an interesting article. So, do you think that since there is no equivalent of a boy's team that he should be allowed to play? What about all the girl's who have to be allowed on the boys teams when there is not an equivalent sport (football, wrestling for example). Or do we REALLY get down to what people don't want to say about gender equality? Basically, the rule states that a boy can play a girl sport as long as he's not too good. Or translation, we will let girls play football and wrestling because they won't be good enough to change the dynamic of the sport, but if we allow boy's to play they will be better than the girls and overtake the sport. Which isn't gender equality at all.

In high school (* early 80's *) I tried out for the volley ball team. It was all girls. We had girls on the football team. They may have not been a started but they made the team.
I tried to convince them I would not spike the ball (* There concern as mentioned was size and strength *) and would only set or block in the front row. The coach said no out right. The school said you have a point. The league pointed out hieght. I mentioned that most of teh girls were as tall or taller than me. The league said no as others might then arge once on the team that I should be allowed full stiking in any position. I was not happy, but I understood.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering the fight girl athletics had to go through to even get girl teams going....why let a boy in on their team?

On the other hand, we didn't have competitive teams in school, our afternoon club was coed. Not really any difference between the ladies and the gents there.

Now, girls wanting to play football, there is no girl team. After all guys are allowed in cheerleading (and flag twirling for band)
There is a trend to make up teams for girls only - as a sport, not just having the genders separated for whatever sake - like equestrian teams or even crew.
Now, in the spirit of equality, I don't condone that either (especially not in riding, since the playing field there is about as level as it gets)

And in this spirit, considering it a 'girl sport' is hilarious and insulting!

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, but if women can serve with men in combat then everything should open up. There should be no bias in who plays on which teams. In fact, there should no longer be boy's and girl's sports but only sports. Try outs should be open to everyone, and then to please everyone, there should be proportional representation of each sex on every team, regardless of skill or talent. This is the necessary end of the line of true equality. Law suits against the professional teams should start up so that a 5' 3" female should be a starter for the Chicago Bulls, or the Bears or any other team out there.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
In Europe, field hockey is a men's sport as well, if I'm not mistaken-it's only here in the U.S. that it's a "girl's sport."

Yeah, they should let him on the team.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More likely it's for his safety! We played mixed hockey in the RAF and the men, bless their little cotton socks, found it hard to go up against the women who are extremely competitive. Hockey is a violent game.

Bili, we are talking children here not combat soldiers so behave. In MMA, boxing and a good many other combat sports we have weight divisions as well as experience divisions, children's divisions for sport are similiar.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, but if women can serve with men in combat then everything should open up. There should be no bias in who plays on which teams. In fact, there should no longer be boy's and girl's sports but only sports. Try outs should be open to everyone, and then to please everyone, there should be proportional representation of each sex on every team, regardless of skill or talent. This is the necessary end of the line of true equality. Law suits against the professional teams should start up so that a 5' 3" female should be a starter for the Chicago Bulls, or the Bears or any other team out there.

This is what I think some people would like to see happen, which is unbelievably stupid.

I'm too small and short to play football, but if I was female suddenly it's a big human rights issue that I'm not big enough?

Women shouldn't play against men, period. No amount of skill can make up for the physical differences in most sports. However if girls playing high school football is kosher, so should boys playing field hockey. Equality is equality.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I think some people would like to see happen, which is unbelievably stupid.

I'm too small and short to play football, but if I was female suddenly it's a big human rights issue that I'm not big enough?

Women shouldn't play against men, period. No amount of skill can make up for the physical differences in most sports. However if girls playing high school football is kosher, so should boys playing field hockey. Equality is equality.

Here, as I said children don't play on mixed teams beyond primary school age ie 11.

In the rest of the world hockey is very much a men's game, it's known as 'hockey' the game played on ice being known spookily enough as ice hockey. It's a big sport, with some very strong teams both mens and womens. The Olympics are coming up of course so looking forward to watching some exciting matches.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here, as I said children don't play on mixed teams beyond primary school age ie 11.

In the rest of the world hockey is very much a men's game, it's known as 'hockey' the game played on ice being known spookily enough as ice hockey. It's a big sport, with some very strong teams both mens and womens. The Olympics are coming up of course so looking forward to watching some exciting matches.

Field hockey and ice hockey are 2 different sports.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Field hockey and ice hockey are 2 different sports.

She meant to illustrate that yes...they are different...however, 'Hockey' is far from being a girly sport.

The big difference it though they are played on different surfaces and one uses a ball. Some of the techniques translate (having only watched 'Ice Hockey' I found it easy to play a couple of scrimmages in school with what I had observed)

Regardless, those officials are condescending twits, the boy is being short changed.
The girls don't need sheltering from one little boy and heaven forbid more boys would pick up the sport of 'Field Hockey'

it is pathetic really the gender demarcation line.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do men play field hockey other places?

Germany, Pakistan, India...the sport is huge in the latter 2.
I know I am missing a lot of places...I am sure all over Europe, too, but then again, they play <GASP> soccer, another girly sport! :lfao:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My daughters play field hockey and my older son plays ice hockey they are not that similar. Field hockey is far less violent amd alot slower.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My daughters play field hockey and my older son plays ice hockey they are not that similar. Field hockey is far less violent amd alot slower.

LOL, maybe in the girly US....

Plus, as many sports, take the padding off, things look different. ;)

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about field hockey. How similiar/different is field hockey to lacrosse? The reason I ask is that the boys can not play on the softball team and girls can't play on the baseball team because they are considered similiar enough. Same case with basketball, because there is a boys and girls team sport they can't be co-ed.

So would they have a legitimate argument that he could play lacrosse instead, even if the school doesn't have one?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about field hockey. How similiar/different is field hockey to lacrosse? The reason I ask is that the boys can not play on the softball team and girls can't play on the baseball team because they are considered similiar enough. Same case with basketball, because there is a boys and girls team sport they can't be co-ed.

So would they have a legitimate argument that he could play lacrosse instead, even if the school doesn't have one?

They are not that similiar. My daughters played both but they hate lacrosse and love field hockey.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are not that similiar. My daughters played both but they hate lacrosse and love field hockey.

I suppose the same is true about softball and baseball.

I hate it when they tell girls they can't play a certain sport because it's a boy thing, but I have to say I am equally outraged when they tell this boy he can't play the sport he exsells at because there are no other boys his age playing it.
Oh my goodness, the humanity, should other boys discover the fun of field hockey. The school would lose some baseball/football/basketball prospects.

makes me want to puke.

The boy is no different than the chick that wants to be kicker for LSU.

What's the term? Reverse discrimination? F that. It's discrimination. Plain and simple.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont think the boys should be playing with the girls after a certain age High School age I guess it a good age to start. The physical difference is to great. It would be like in Martial Arts Ill spar a female in class because it a controlled enviroment but Id never fight one in real life.

The high school in my town is small it does not have a girls soccer team so there were 2 girls on the boys team. They get KILLED every game by the boys on the other team. Physically beatten thrwn to the ground brused and banged up. Mostly because the other team cant deal with playing a girl so they go to the extream. One girl ended up quitting. Its not fair but like discussed in other threads teenagers dont think clearly they are kids. We are currently in a fight with the county school board to allow girls at our school that want to play a sport not offered there to be allowed to play at the other high school which is about 12 miles away same county but much larger and they have all the girls sports.