Boxing or American Kickboxing

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shouldn't the trainer/coach be almost second to the actual 'fighter'?

A good coach should surely work to the strengths and weaknesses of the person they are training, rather than pushing their own technique to the possible detriment of what their client is naturally better at.

Which brings it back around to the individual over the style.
Yes but every trainer still has his own style and will teach that way. Angelo Dundee wouldn't train his fighters the peak a boo style and cus d'amato wouldn't teach the rope a dope method either. Greg Jackson wouldn't train his fighters to brawl like Raffael Cordero taught his guys at chute box to do

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes but every trainer still has his own style and will teach that way. Angelo Dundee wouldn't train his fighters the peak a boo style and cus d'amato wouldn't teach the rope a dope method either. Greg Jackson wouldn't train his fighters to brawl like Raffael Cordero taught his guys at chute box to do

Fair point.

Hopefully though, those coaches would recognise that certain people just don't fit with their style of coaching and pass them to someone else (or at least suggest it).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In certain styles when you watch them fight you can tell who their coach/instructor is, supposing you didn't know beforehand. There's certain things they teach their fighters, some quite small, that just make you go 'aha, know where he/she trains.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair point.

Hopefully though, those coaches would recognise that certain people just don't fit with their style of coaching and pass them to someone else (or at least suggest it).
Sure but at the end of the day each coach has his own base. For example randy couture isn't the guy to train with if you want to be a high level kick boxer and mark hunt isn't the guy the guy to train with if you want to be a submission expert

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Time spent on punching from gym to gym will be the same. Time spent on things outside of punching will not be the same.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time spent on punching from gym to gym will be the same. Time spent on things outside of punching will not be the same.
So you're saying Mike Tyson punches the same way as Ali did are you?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're saying Mike Tyson and Floyd Patterson punched the same? It has nothing to do with the trainer.

Then why have a trainer?
Just how many boxing gyms and clubs have you actually been in let alone train in?

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Then why have a trainer?
Just how many boxing gyms and clubs have you actually been in let alone train in?

Because there are both universal principles in Western Boxing mechanics that instructors teach you, and aspects where individuals diverge.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay I'm done with this thread only so much nonsense someone can read

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Haha. No kickboxer of any style/organisation, punch as hard as boxers. Or punch as well as boxers. Ray Sefo got floored by a journeyman when he tried boxing. Ray Sefo!! A Kickboxing legend.
Early in his career, Jean-Yves Theriault (a Canadian kickboxing legend) had one of George Chuvalo's (a Canadian boxing legend) sparring partners come from Toronto to Ottawa to train with him for an upcoming fight. The boxer figured it would be easy money, spar for a couple days with a kickboxer, couldn't be too hard. He was gone by noon the first day, back on the train to Toronto. Said Jean-Yves hit harder than Chuvalo. George was a heavyweight, fought the likes of Ali, Frazier and Foreman. Jean-Yves was middleweight.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Early in his career, Jean-Yves Theriault (a Canadian kickboxing legend) had one of George Chuvalo's (a Canadian boxing legend) sparring partners come from Toronto to Ottawa to train with him for an upcoming fight. The boxer figured it would be easy money, spar for a couple days with a kickboxer, couldn't be too hard. He was gone by noon the first day, back on the train to Toronto. Said Jean-Yves hit harder than Chuvalo. George was a heavyweight, fought the likes of Ali, Frazier and Foreman. Jean-Yves was middleweight.

I'm not impressed with anecdotes. I can name a few KB who punched like tanks, equal to elite boxers - Branko Cikatić, Jerome Le Banner, Badr Hari. How many of those guys that can actually box overall at a decent level is an open question.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why does the subject keep shifting?

Istr it started that no kickboxer ever punches as hard as a boxer.

Then it became as hard or as well.

Then it sidestepped to being able to take a punch.

Then it went back to as hard.

Then power didn't matter suddenly.

Now we're at overall technique.

I'm confused.

Is it because I don't know much about boxing?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not impressed with anecdotes. I can name a few KB who punched like tanks, equal to elite boxers - Branko Cikatić, Jerome Le Banner, Badr Hari. How many of those guys that can actually box overall at a decent level is an open question.
Please make up your mind. Your comment was no kickboxer can hit as hard as a boxer. Then you say you know of a few kickboxers who hit as hard as elite boxers. Now you want to know how many of them can box at a decent level. Considering it is only part of their sport, probably not many. How any boxers can compete in elite level kickboxing?

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why does the subject keep shifting?

Istr it started that no kickboxer ever punches as hard as a boxer.

Then it became as hard or as well.

Then it sidestepped to being able to take a punch.

Then it went back to as hard.

Then power didn't matter suddenly.

Now we're at overall technique.

I'm confused.

Is it because I don't know much about boxing?

I don't know if they do or not. My guess is that a very select group of them do. I said repeatedly that it's not essential whether they do so or not. But you seem unreceptive.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If they don't care to box why does it matter? many people are happy with what they do, don't care about other styles and more importantly don't measure themselves by others standards. Do you think only boxers are the only ones that count?

Latest Discussions