Boxing or American Kickboxing

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
LOL, you are still looking for 'proof' that kickboxers can't punch aren't you. Well, Bob Sapp isn't a kick boxer either. He was an American footballer then a wrestler. He lost more fights than he won in kickboxing and the first fight against Hoost was controversial, the majority of damage dealt by Sapp to end the fight appeared to be inflicted after the bell, both fights were doctor stoppages. Sapp was supposed to fight a friend of mine ( his pro record is 28 Wins, 10 Losses, 2 Draws, 2x world champion, European champion and 4x British champion plus MMA fights and 8x world champion x8 Ju-Jitsu) but chickened out a couple of days before the fight.

Don't keep coming up with things like this to 'prove' your point, it isn't working. there are poor kick boxers, there's poor boxers, it proves nothing about the styles.

Ernesto Hoost was a phenomenal kickboxer. Tough as nails (shaky chin though which makes it even more impressive). He got destroyed twice by Sapp by just punches.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
both fights were doctor stoppages. .

No they weren't. Hoost didn't want to come out in one of them. He was pretty fried at that point. How more fair and Square can you win? You are making excuses.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget Ray Sefo, let's throw in K1 "technician" Ernesto Hoost against a half decent boxer. I mean, Hoost only got outboxed by a wild, swinging Bob Sapp, twice! And Sapp barely threw a kick. I think Sapp threw a few that missed:D

Need I point out that Bob Sapp is not a boxer?.:rolleyes:
So, your evidence now includes someone not even in the population you're talking about?

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, your evidence now includes someone not even in the population you're talking about?

Yes. If a non boxer who's just "big" can outbox one of the all-time great kickboxers, what do you think Boxers would do to Hoost? You think prime Bob Sapp would do well against a half decent boxer?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. If a non boxer who's just "big" can outbox one of the all-time great kickboxers, what do you think Boxers would do to Hoost? You think prime Bob Sapp would do well against a half decent boxer?
So, once again, you're providing evidence that the fighter matters more than the style. You don't see that, do you?

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, once again, you're providing evidence that the fighter matters more than the style. You don't see that, do you?

Don't you see that Bob Sapp against ANY decent boxer would be a farce? I'm providing evidence that Kickboxers defence to punches is nowhere near as good as a boxers. Hoost was not the only kickboxer he beat when he was in his prime.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you see that Bob Sapp against ANY decent boxer would be a farce? I'm providing evidence that Kickboxers defence to punches is nowhere near as good as a boxers. Hoost was not the only kickboxer he beat when he was in his prime.
So, in summary, you don't see it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UserC

The thing is you seem to think that no one here actually knows these people, hasn't watched them live or been on the shows ( either working or spectating) they've been on etc etc. You don't know the 'audience' you are peddling your spiel to, do you? Do you think that there aren't people here who have judged, coached etc K1, MMA, boxing etc or do you assume that like you they are just fanboys with incorrect information. You should always be careful when arguing on here that you aren't arguing with people who actually understand their sport, have been there done it got the t shirt which has worn out sort of thing.

if you don't understand something try not to keep digging yourself into a hole that's just getting bigger and bigger.

Last edited:

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
UserC

The thing is you seem to think that no one here actually knows these people, hasn't watched them live or been on the shows ( either working or spectating) they've been on etc etc. You don't know the 'audience' you are peddling your spiel to, do you? Do you think that there aren't people here who have judged, coached etc K1, MMA, boxing etc or do you assume that like you they are just fanboys with incorrect information. You should always be careful when arguing on here that you aren't arguing with people who actually understand their sport, have been there done it got the t shirt which has worn out sort of thing.

if you don't understand something try not to keep digging yourself into a hole that's just getting bigger and bigger.

This is coming from someone who deemed K1 fighters legends or not based on their statistical records, not taking into account level of opposition and the fact they still fought after their prime.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me, the superior use of fists comes from boxing rather that kick boxing. BUT, that would depend on the trainer.

UserC, how long have you been boxing?

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To me, the superior use of fists comes from boxing rather that kick boxing. BUT, that would depend on the trainer.

Why would it depend on the trainer? The boxing curriculum is pretty uniform. It's the same no matter where you are located.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is coming from someone who deemed K1 fighters legends or not based on their statistical records, not taking into account level of opposition and the fact they still fought after their prime.

Dear boy, stop putting words into my mouth I didn't say they were legends, I have also actually been to and watched the actual fights not just seen bits on videos or read about them.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

UserC, how long have you been boxing?
According to his other thread 4 months lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would it depend on the trainer? The boxing curriculum is pretty uniform. It's the same no matter where you are located.
Sigh...I haven't felt this way since teaching my kid the alphabet. It depends on the trainer because every fighter has a different focus. One kickboxing trainer may prefer to use his hands one may prefer his kicks. A boxing trainer may prefer to use footwork, another may prefer to clinch another may prefer to power punch and brawl. All coaches have different styles of coaching

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing about this thread I'll say is I don't think @Tez3 has ever agreed with me so much lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well since you claim kickboxing is just boxing with kicks added, that would be 4 years and 4 months.
Yep and according to you your coach told you you've got the worst technique in his gym yet you're trash talking pro fighters calling them cans and nobodies. Maybe you should be training more than talking then your technique will be better then maybe you'll learn something because you really don't seem to have a clue about boxing or kickboxing

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sigh...I haven't felt this way since teaching my kid the alphabet. It depends on the trainer because every fighter has a different focus. One kickboxing trainer may prefer to use his hands one may prefer his kicks. A boxing trainer may prefer to use footwork, another may prefer to clinch another may prefer to power punch and brawl. All coaches have different styles of coaching

Shouldn't the trainer/coach be almost second to the actual 'fighter'?

A good coach should surely work to the strengths and weaknesses of the person they are training, rather than pushing their own technique to the possible detriment of what their client is naturally better at.

Which brings it back around to the individual over the style.

Edit: I've re-evaluated Buka's comment - maybe to mean kickboxing coach A can have more focus on developing handwork than kickboxing coach B.

Latest Discussions