Boxer Rebellion?

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are there any books on the Boxer Rebellion?
Thanks for any replies.

- Brian

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are you looking for something specific of a general history

And whatever you do DON'T watch 55 Days at Peking for anything even close to historical accuracy

What I am looking for is information of what life was like before, during, and after the boxer rebellion. What arts were taught before, and have since been lost. Just little bit of everything.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What I am looking for is information of what life was like before, during, and after the boxer rebellion. What arts were taught before, and have since been lost. Just little bit of everything.

That would likely be several books and a lot of independant research.

Most books on the boxer rebellion are not that in depth or so wide ranging outside of the politics of it and the interaction of those countries involved, but a good book on it may be a good place to start. And life in the country side in China changed little where life in the cities changed a lot... but that is how most Dynastic changes have gone throughout Chinese history. And there were a lot of arts lost throughout Chinese history that we will never know about than what was likely lost after the Boxer Rebellion. Actually I do not think all that many were lost after the Boxer Rebellion a lot of Martial Artists were lost, (look up Cheng Tinghua). However there were a lot lost after Mao took over.

I shall have to look to see what book I had to read in college, if I can still find it and get back to you.

There was a good website on the topic a while back, I will have to look and see if I can find it and post it