Northern Praying Mantis

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good NPM school in Orange County CA? When I say "good" I mean more for go than show. One that gets down to the root of the system in form, and application. I know of the California Martial Arts school run by Sifu Cheng. I went to observe the school a few years ago, and I'm sorry to say that I was a little turned off by it. Looked very commercial, a lot of kids running around and the Sifu that was running it seemed more interested into fitness, and greeting at the door than the actual teaching. Now with that said, I am not speaking in anyway shape or form about Sifu Cheng, his abilities, or knowledge. I am simply stating why I was a little disapointed in that particular location, and that was the Irvine one I believe. Does anyone know the location that Sifu Cheng is at, and are we able to learn from him? Also does anyone have other NPM schools in the OC area? Thanks everyone !

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good NPM school in Orange County CA? When I say "good" I mean more for go than show. One that gets down to the root of the system in form, and application. I know of the California Martial Arts school run by Sifu Cheng. I went to observe the school a few years ago, and I'm sorry to say that I was a little turned off by it. Looked very commercial, a lot of kids running around and the Sifu that was running it seemed more interested into fitness, and greeting at the door than the actual teaching. Now with that said, I am not speaking in anyway shape or form about Sifu Cheng, his abilities, or knowledge. I am simply stating why I was a little disapointed in that particular location, and that was the Irvine one I believe. Does anyone know the location that Sifu Cheng is at, and are we able to learn from him? Also does anyone have other NPM schools in the OC area? Thanks everyone !

Sorry... I don't know anybody of in OC.

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know there's some out there, I would to find Sifu Cheng and train there, I'm relying on you all here, as my ability is limited in information gathering due to being in Afghanistan.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Damn that's tough trying to coordinate from the 'Stan.

I know a guy in San Diego that fits what you're looking for, but OC not off the top of my head. I'll look & ask, but I can't quality what I can/can't find.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I think it is, having never met him I can't be sure. Does anyone here train with him, and if so does he do the teaching and where? Thanks for the link Xue!

At the end of the article it has

Mark Cheng is a traditional Chinese-medicine physician and martial arts researcher based in West Los Angeles

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Damn that's tough trying to coordinate from the 'Stan.

I know a guy in San Diego that fits what you're looking for, but OC not off the top of my head. I'll look & ask, but I can't quality what I can/can't find.
Yeah it is, I don't have much free time and when i do i try to split it between the gym, talking to my wife and reading up on the various kung fu's hahaha, needless to say my wife wonders why I haven't grown up yet hahaha, oh well !!!! I'm not opposed to San Diego, it's a bit of a drive but if it's worth it, it is what it is. Thanks CLF

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At the end of the article it has

I read that, the only problem is I've also read he's based out of a school in Orange County. One of 3 locations. Which is why I'm trying to pin point his true location.

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Or if there's anyone else around.