Bouncing Bouncing Bouncing ??

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Video? What's this bouncing look like?
The vid here is a good training vid with some good sport competitors. You will see them bounce before striking a target or person. The bounce is to show movement and hide intentions. A person that knows what the bounce is for and how to use will never get timed as some say and you do not lose power when bouncing as you never strike at the top of you bounce. Just watch the kids towards the end of the video and you will see some good fast strong techniques with bouncing. There is a kid in red cloths in the middle of the clip that is pretty good to.
[yt]y4dyhX0jVqU[/yt]

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
The vid here is a good training vid with some good sport competitors. You will see them bounce before striking a target or person. The bounce is to show movement and hide intentions. A person that knows what the bounce is for and how to use will never get timed as some say and you do not lose power when bouncing as you never strike at the top of you bounce. Just watch the kids towards the end of the video and you will see some good fast strong techniques with bouncing. There is a kid in red cloths in the middle of the clip that is pretty good to.
[yt]y4dyhX0jVqU[/yt]

I tend to think that people on both sides of the debate make too much of things. I make use of bouncing at times when sparring but to say that people who know how to use it will never be timed or lose power is, in my opinion, making too much of things. It's like saying people who really know how to do a tollyo chugi will never miss. There are just too many variables. That being said, bouncing is a skill that can stand one in good stead during a sparring match.

The video you linked to is excellent and shows some great skills. If people could just skip the rest of this thread and view that it would be great.

Pax,

Chris

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to think that people on both sides of the debate make too much of things. I make use of bouncing at times when sparring but to say that people who know how to use it will never be timed or lose power is, in my opinion, making too much of things. It's like saying people who really know how to do a tollyo chugi will never miss. There are just too many variables. That being said, bouncing is a skill that can stand one in good stead during a sparring match.

The video you linked to is excellent and shows some great skills. If people could just skip the rest of this thread and view that it would be great.

Pax,

Chris
You are correct. I did not mean to make and absolute. I simply meant to say that those saying that they simply time those that bounce, as if they could time everyone who bounces, are being silly. Everyone gets hit, no matter what.

Now there are those that just bounce to be bouncing, and yes they most likely can be timed just about every time. But those that know what they are doing, will be much harder to time. But it is really not about them being timed but more of makine sure that you don't see what come when they attack or strike.

I teach the sport as well as the art, and I show the diiference between motion and no motion, and every time no motion competitors can be seen coming from a mile away. If you are not moving and then move to strike me, I can see that coming every time, and that makes it much easier for me to time them than it is for someone to time my motion.

But I agree with what you stated.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pax,

Chris

It made me feel old and tired! and my bones ached when they stretched! Ah to be young again, I started martial arts in my late thirties so have never had that youthful energy. Not my thing Olympic style sparring but nice video all the same.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I like the school, which looks Russian or Eastern European, where they train with shoes.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Everybody wants to be like Mike. :ultracool

From my understandin. Back in the days ppl didnt bounce around. It was when Mike Warren went to Korea in '73 and swept through the competition. From what Mike & Cheeks told when they went to a reunion ppl were comin up to them tellin them that they had recorded Mike & Cheeks when they were fightin and had studed how they moved.

Latest Discussions