Because Okinawa is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because Okinawa is considered part of Japan's prefecture, is Karate still considered as a Japanese art?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends who you ask...

Okinawa was not always a Japanese Prefecture. It has a different history, dialect and culture. At different points it was independant, Chinese, Japaneses, etc.

So how about Hawaiian fire dancing and belly dancing, are those "American" arts?

After the Native Americans found Columbus did the peace pipe and medicine wheel become European traditions?

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Depends who you ask...

Okinawa was not always a Japanese Prefecture. It has a different history, dialect and culture. At different points it was independant, Chinese, Japaneses, etc.

So how about Hawaiian fire dancing and belly dancing, are those "American" arts?

After the Native Americans found Columbus did the peace pipe and medicine wheel become European traditions?
Yes, I had a Hawaiian friend whose family believe that the US took over their homeland.

But as you stated it is still called Hawaiian Dancing, etc,,,,

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, just like a luau would be described as Hawaiian, not American, I'd call Karate as originally developed Okinawan, not Japanese.

However, I'd call Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, etc., Japanese.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yes, just like a luau would be described as Hawaiian, not American, I'd call Karate as originally developed Okinawan, not Japanese.

However, I'd call Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, etc., Japanese.
So the distinction is of place or the founder?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it's only fair to give credit where it's due, no?

In addition, the Japanese styles of Karate are noticeably different from the Okinawan styles.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Well, it's only fair to give credit where it's due, no?

In addition, the Japanese styles of Karate are noticeably different from the Okinawan styles.
Yes, but others view TKD as Shotokan or Japanese based and not Korean. Is this fair to state that TKD is not Korean?

Are we speaking in terms of origin, place, or founder?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Yes, but others view TKD as Shotokan or Japanese based and not Korean. Is this fair to state that TKD is not Korean?

Wonder how many Japanese practice TKD?

Nah, usually that is just Shotokan practitioners that like to feel superior to others... ;)

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
ok... wonder how many would if it wasn't an Olympic sport...

I am wondering how many people world wide would study it if it wasn't an Olympic sport........

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Wonder how many Japanese practice TKD?

Nah, usually that is just Shotokan practitioners that like to feel superior to others... ;)
Yes, and many other Japanese martial art practitioners.
Many people studied TKD long before it became a Olympic sport.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:

TKD borrows alot from Shotokan in the same sense that Shotokan borrowed alot from Okinawan-te.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
TKD borrows alot from Shotokan in the same sense that Shotokan borrowed alot from Okinawan-te.
Borrowed?? Wow... that's forgiving.. :boing2:

IMHO & experience if it weren't for JMA, there'd be no KMA around today... Olympics or not.

RRouuselot ... please clean a space out in your PM box. I've got an off line question for you please.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Now they are two very distinct arts, so I'd say it is accurate.

Kung Fu began as a series of excercises taught to Monks by an "outsider", So should we say that Kung fu is not really Chinese? No, it borrowed, branched off and found its own feet to stand on. Same as TKD.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
clfsean said:

IMHO & experience if it weren't for JMA, there'd be no KMA around today... Olympics or not.

RRouuselot ... please clean a space out in your PM box. I've got an off line question for you please.

Korean = Jap./Oki.

Tang Soo Do = Karate Do (old kara kanji)

TKD = Shotokan

Hapkido = Aikido (They use the exact same kanji to write it in Jap. And Kor.)

Yudo = Judo

Kumdo = Kendo

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Now they are two very distinct arts, so I'd say it is accurate.

Kung Fu began as a series of excercises taught to Monks by an "outsider", So should we say that Kung fu is not really Chinese? No, it borrowed, branched off and found its own feet to stand on. Same as TKD.

Those monks expanded on what they were taught that went way beyond the depth and scope of the original art they were exposed to.

The arts I listed in my last post have not.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well specifically you're talking about the legend of Tamo & the Songshan Shaolin Monks. Problem with that is there were already martial arts being practiced in China, Shuai Jiao as an example from the steppes of Mongolia, before then. That's one specific legend regarding it.

Kung Fu is Chinese.

Taekwondo is Korean-ized Shotokan.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
TKD = Shotokan
Yup, that prooves it right there...?

All countries have martial arts, Korea was no exception. There was martial arts practiced there before the Japanese Occupation.

TKD may have began as modified Shotokan, but since then it has changed. It has different forms, different techniques and different competition rules. It even went on to become an Olympic sport.

While I don't agree with attempts to rewrite it's history, it does have one that goes beyond Shotokan.

I'd say there are a lot more differences between Shotokan and TKD then Okinawan karate and Shotokan, and right up there with Okinawan karate and certain forms of Kung fu from which it originated. Yet, Okinawan karate is Okinawan not Chinese, Shotokan is Japanese not Okinawan and TKD is Korean, not Japanese.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Yup, that prooves it right there...?

All countries have martial arts, Korea was no exception. There was martial arts practiced there before the Japanese Occupation.

TKD may have began as modified Shotokan, but since then it has changed. It has different forms, different techniques and different competition rules. It even went on to become an Olympic sport.

While I don't agree with attempts to rewrite it's history, it does have one that goes beyond Shotokan.

I'd say there are a lot more differences between Shotokan and TKD then Okinawan karate and Shotokan, and right up there with Okinawan karate and certain forms of Kung fu from which it originated. Yet, Okinawan karate is Okinawan not Chinese, Shotokan is Japanese not Okinawan and TKD is Korean, not Japanese.
Oh there is no doubt it has changed from Shotokan to whatever it is now, but for what reasons?

Was the change motivated by martial necessity or by Ultra nationalistic pride?

Okinawa te did not solely come from Chinese Chuan Fa. Chinese arts were blended with already existing Okinawan arts which is why outside of a few styles like Goju and Uechi you will find hardly any kata that are similar between Okinawan and Chinese arts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions