Battle of the martial arts YouTubers episode 1: fighting on a bus

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe this all happened in Sydney. Which is still pretty far away from me.

But I am kind of disappointed I didn't go.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have done a lot of training on sniper initiated tubular assaults, for hostage rescue, but not this. Looks fun.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting idea
I'd have much preferred it if they had focused on developing & sharing insights into what works, changes etc vs "which YouTuber is best"

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting idea
I'd have much preferred it if they had focused on developing & sharing insights into what works, changes etc vs "which YouTuber is best"
Several of these guys regularly present excellent technical breakdowns on their own channels, so I'm hopeful that after the series is over they will offer more insights in their own videos.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A moving vehicle changes movement.
Try it in a car with even more limited movement.
Good for them to do this

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm torn. On the one hand, that does look like fun. On the other hand, 2 of the 6 guys in the thumbnail, I can't stand to watch on youtube. There's a couple I don't know, and one I really like (unless one of the other two is in his video).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm torn. On the one hand, that does look like fun. On the other hand, 2 of the 6 guys in the thumbnail, I can't stand to watch on youtube. There's a couple I don't know, and one I really like (unless one of the other two is in his video).

There are some legit guys in that group.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Icy Mike is the first participant to put out his own breakdown of the episode.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the first episode. It's so different than other fight challenges. I kinda want to try it now.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently Icy Mike(YouTube channel hard2hurt) wasn't that hard to hurt 😂😂😂

Jeff Chan(winner) produces great content, I've been following him for years. He's a pro fighter, knowledge and humble.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Icy Mike is the first participant to put out his own breakdown of the episode.

So the takeaway from that is do MMA.

And to be thematic. Here is ramsey Dewey explaining the difference.

Last edited:

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... and here's Ramsey's behind the scenes perspective on episode 1:
Thanks Tony,
I could only get thru the first 13:40 minutes of Ramsey's video. I enjoy behind the scene's explanation of what the participants went thru, but I gosh, stop with the excuses. I sort of wanna go back and start over and keep track of the excuses just to get a number, perhaps how many in each minute or something. His explanation that they couldn't figure out how to score the sparring matches on the bus until after they sparred makes sense to me as I was wondering why in the world they were getting scored on using the environment, yet none did other than Icy Mike, who was sort of using the low ceiling as a support. No one used the space in between the seats to arm or leg bar, no one stuffed anyone under the seat while fighting in the aisles, no one crawled across the top of the seats to create distance, no noe used a cushion as protection or to smother ...

Have you seen the movie "nobody' ? There is an interesting fight scene on a bus in that movie.

Thanks again for posting the video. Will watch the rest later.

Regards
Brian King

mrpatapon

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tony,
I could only get thru the first 13:40 minutes of Ramsey's video. I enjoy behind the scene's explanation of what the participants went thru, but I gosh, stop with the excuses. I sort of wanna go back and start over and keep track of the excuses just to get a number, perhaps how many in each minute or something. His explanation that they couldn't figure out how to score the sparring matches on the bus until after they sparred makes sense to me as I was wondering why in the world they were getting scored on using the environment, yet none did other than Icy Mike, who was sort of using the low ceiling as a support. No one used the space in between the seats to arm or leg bar, no one stuffed anyone under the seat while fighting in the aisles, no one crawled across the top of the seats to create distance, no noe used a cushion as protection or to smother ...

Have you seen the movie "nobody' ? There is an interesting fight scene on a bus in that movie.

Thanks again for posting the video. Will watch the rest later.

Regards
Brian King
This is real life, not a movie. Even then, we should remember that fight scene takes place on a stationary bus, not one that is moving and turning.

But yeah I think that's kind of the problem with this kind of format. It's supposed to be a "self-defense" yet the judging doesn't really reward those who minimize damage to themselves, like any good self-defense should.

I think the problem is that too many people kind of conflate street fighting with self defense like they're the same thing. If you're goal is truly about self-defense then you shouldn't be awarding aggression more like it's a UFC fight.

Personally I wouldn't take this tournament too seriously. It's just a series gimmick matches. It has more in common with fight circus than serious combat sport event, like that one time they put two fighter in a phone booth.

It's not even a realistic test for self defense since people don't go around in public wearing sparring helmets and safety gear. Also realistically the bus should be crowded with more passangers who could interfere.

Also hello! I'm new to this forum and this id my first post!

Latest Discussions