Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Mixology

http://www.mixology.com/recipes/drinksearch40sr.asp

http://www.mixology.com/drinklab/index.htm

http://www.mixeddrinkrecipes.net/

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/search/

They didn’t have this WAAAAAAAY back when I was bartending; we had to memorize all this stuff, but to be honest it is not all that hard. All bars have pretty much a set number of drinks that get ordered by regulars. If someone else shows up with something you don’t know, either tell him or her never heard of it or ask him or her if they know what is in it. I believe I said this before here but in my opinion it is best, if they don’t know what is in it they should not be drinking it anyway.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Common Xue, belly up to the bar and we'll toast the Shaolin Temple...

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I leave in 15 min. for my first night of training. :D

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...am waiting impatiently for word about how it went...

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It went well. Busy as hell. Spent the first few hours following a waitress around even though I'll be bartending. They wanted me to get a taste of that side in case I need to cover a table. The bartending was fine. The biggest things for me are going to be learning different types of drinks and where to find what I'm looking for. That, and closing out the register at night. They do things a little different. But I'll catch on. Everyone was really great, friendly, made me feel right at home. I was whupped by the time I got home at about 2:15 though. It's busy work, I thought they were real busy right up til close, but they said it was actually a slower night. :eek: I enjoyed it though. :)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It went well. Busy as hell. Spent the first few hours following a waitress around even though I'll be bartending. They wanted me to get a taste of that side in case I need to cover a table. The bartending was fine. The biggest things for me are going to be learning different types of drinks and where to find what I'm looking for. That, and closing out the register at night. They do things a little different. But I'll catch on. Everyone was really great, friendly, made me feel right at home. I was whupped by the time I got home at about 2:15 though. It's busy work, I thought they were real busy right up til close, but they said it was actually a slower night. :eek: I enjoyed it though. :)

Sound great, like it'll be fun—and I would bet that the busier the night, the quicker the time passes. Most important thing is good vibes with your coworkers. That seems to be the deal-maker or deal-breaker. I'm very happy it worked out that way... and I'll bet it leads to still more good things.
icon14.gif
:highfive:

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, last night was my second night of training.

O.M.G.

I am not comfortable working by myself and closing by myself after last night. If I had someone working with me til close that would be fine. But, there is no bouncer, nothing, it would just be me. And last night there were almost 2 fights, and a couple of very rude and vulgar customers. I expect rudeness and vulgarity from drunk men in a bar, and it takes ALOT to offend me. However, I don't appreciate being grabbbed on the way to the bathroom, or repeatedly asked "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours." and "I've got a big 12 inch for ya". etc, etc. every time you serve them a drink, or hollering across the bar for your attention only to ask to "see yours".

The bartender I was training with said that it was a very weird night. I don't care if it's out of the ordinary. The rare time there's a night like that, I don't want to be alone in it. Another regular actually broke up the *almost* fights. Don't know what would have happened if he hadn't been there that night. And she said the the one particularly offensive regular she absolutely hates, but didn't know where he stood with the owner, and you don't want to piss anyone off who is close to the owner. Said he's a ****** tipper on top of it. Eventually the guy left and the owner stopped in later, when asked, he said kick the ******* out next time. Now, that is fine if you have back up. But when you're the only one there, and on the small side, that may not be so easy, nor am I comfortable doing it. Nor am I comfortable trying to kick a bunch of large drunk men, who don't want to leave, out at closing time.

The gal I was training with has been bartending for 14 years. She said this is the only place she's ever been who has the woman close all alone and she cautioned me heavily on safety and walking to my car, and checking out the window before putting the trash out, and not going to the outside cooler to restock beer. (There is no inside beer cooler)

Like I said, if I had someone else with me, I would be fine. I might get irritated with a few select people, but I wouldn't fear for my safety being the only person there til 1am.

However, I must say, after only 2 nights of training, where I'm not even at full earning potential, the money kicks ***. I can see how easy it is to stay in the job, and I actually enjoy it quite fine aside from the safety concerns of being there alone.

Anyway, I am going to ask the manager if there's still a day spot open. My husband said he will sit at the bar while I work, but he has to get up early in the morning, and I feel it's better to have another person behind the bar rather than depend on someone who has *no authority* so to speak, in asking folks to leave or holler last call.

One thing I noticed, my *awareness* needs to greatly improve, so that was a training opportunity.

Well folks, there's my update. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sad to hear that the 'downsides' of the job made themselves known quite so early. Still, it's better to know now rather than be surprised later.

However, I'm still of the opinion that any establishment whose reason for trading is to sell people alcohol needs more than one person on hand of an evening.

Easy for me to say of course, rather more difficult to get that to happen.

Still hoping for the best for you.

Latest Discussions