Bartending Anyone?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the continuation from the last Ink and the Workplace post I made. In order to not hijack that thread, and to get your feedback on this suggestion that was made to me.

Ok, it was suggested that I bartend. My aquaintence at the Harley dealer said I could make good money doing that. I have never bartended before, I've never even waitressed before. All of my jobs have been warehouse (loooong time ago) or office. She was very encouraging and said it's easy to do. Said has waitressed before and she has a friend who has never bartended who found a job bartending and now, 6 months later she is the manager and making more than she did in the data entry job she worked for 12 years. And apparently this is at small hole in the wall pub. (which is actually the enviroment I prefer). I don't really want to waitress, but I wouldnt mind learning to bartend and there are tons of neighborhood bars around here.

So, how easy is it to learn to bartend? Can you get a job bartending if you have no prior experience? I NEED A JOB!!! :D
My mother would recomend against it.
Sean

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Uhhhhh....what's a health card?"
JT a health card is merely documentation required by our state that shows that you completed a basic food and liquor handlers health safety course and passed the exam. Some of the stuff covered is how long food can be left out, what water temperature water has to be to disinfect, how often and when you should wash your hands, that kind of information. No big deal really.

"Also a Galiano bottle..."

Yup saw one of them used once. They have nice long reach and the unruly patron went straight down and out. He came in the next day for his credit card and apologized and to this day he thinks he passed out and hit his head on the bar. The bartender was so smooth nobody saw the hit…well cept for me LOL

Brian

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JT,

I have never bartended officially. But I know that the wages are normal, it are the "tips" that make the "Pay" worth while. If you are serious go ahead and buy a drink mix book to learn about a lot of the popular and favorite drinks.

Also work an afternoon or day shift and nto the weekend the first time out as it is not as busy and this will give you more time to make the drink(s).

Also learning to pour a draft without getting too much foam (* I bet you thought I was going to say something else ;) *) is also important.

Good Luck

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best wishes for the bartending! From what I hear, it can be really enjoyable (great pay, too)!

Health card... It'll be covered in your classes as to what you need to do... I'm not sure if it's like a food handlers card or not, but as a bartender, you have to follow a certain set of proper health and safety rules.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JT,

I have never bartended officially. But I know that the wages are normal, it are the "tips" that make the "Pay" worth while. If you are serious go ahead and buy a drink mix book to learn about a lot of the popular and favorite drinks.

Also work an afternoon or day shift and nto the weekend the first time out as it is not as busy and this will give you more time to make the drink(s).

Also learning to pour a draft without getting too much foam (* I bet you thought I was going to say something else ;) *) is also important.

Good Luck

All good advice Rich and hopefully wherever you work JT they will give you the crash course on how they want their drinks mixed.
icon6.gif

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well this is interesting.

I filled out an app at the neighborhood bar we go to. The manager came and talked to me. She likes me. I told her I don't have any experience at all and she said they prefer to hire people with no experience and train them to do things the way they want it done, rather then deal with bad habits learned elsewhere. She said they are currently staffed well, but have vacations and stuff coming up. That was on Monday. Yesterday we stopped back by. Both the manager and the owner were there. The manager approached me and said she wants to work me in somehow. She pointed out the owner and told me to go introduce myself, so I did. It went well. Guess I just wait and see now.

Now to the interesting part. Over the past couple months we have gotten to know another "regular" fairly well. We get along good and always spend time shooting the **** together. Well, last night was quiet and we weren't really there "partying", just hanging out more or less. He showed up too and he and my husband started talking business. He owns a company and started talking to me about sales. Said he'd teach me everything I needed to know and I could make big bucks selling for him like 2 days a week. I was honest, I told him sales have never been my cup of tea. He said he could hire me for admin work in the office for like 12 bucks an hour, but if I really wanted to make good money I should learn to sell. He reassured me I'd have no problem doing it and he would spend time to get me set up with all the material and skills I need. I checked out his website this morning. It's quite an interesting business. I have his number and think I'm going to give him a call and see where that goes too.

Ah, networking. It's a lovely thing. :D

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whew! You sure are finding quite a bit of interesting things to get into, Jade! Best wishes with whatever you decide on!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It certainly is, I make a hobby of it :D

Sales takes a certain personality, the salesmen I work with are very good but they'd sell you stuff you don't need in order to make their bonuses, you have to be prepared to be ruthless on some occasions. I'm not saying I know you well enough to know whether you have it or not, I don't, but I just thought I'd give you my take on it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well this is interesting.

I filled out an app at the neighborhood bar we go to. The manager came and talked to me. She likes me. I told her I don't have any experience at all and she said they prefer to hire people with no experience and train them to do things the way they want it done, rather then deal with bad habits learned elsewhere. She said they are currently staffed well, but have vacations and stuff coming up. That was on Monday. Yesterday we stopped back by. Both the manager and the owner were there. The manager approached me and said she wants to work me in somehow. She pointed out the owner and told me to go introduce myself, so I did. It went well. Guess I just wait and see now.

Now to the interesting part. Over the past couple months we have gotten to know another "regular" fairly well. We get along good and always spend time shooting the **** together. Well, last night was quiet and we weren't really there "partying", just hanging out more or less. He showed up too and he and my husband started talking business. He owns a company and started talking to me about sales. Said he'd teach me everything I needed to know and I could make big bucks selling for him like 2 days a week. I was honest, I told him sales have never been my cup of tea. He said he could hire me for admin work in the office for like 12 bucks an hour, but if I really wanted to make good money I should learn to sell. He reassured me I'd have no problem doing it and he would spend time to get me set up with all the material and skills I need. I checked out his website this morning. It's quite an interesting business. I have his number and think I'm going to give him a call and see where that goes too.

Good luck Jade I am sure that you will find something that fit's you.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You never know where or who a good opportunity will come from. Sometimes a good thing will just fall into your lap...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian and Qui-Gon speak for us all I think JT and your shared experiences show that it really pays to get along with people. If you never talk to anyone then you can never develop a 'network' that may one day bring you the help you need.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good for you JT
Many people would be surprised at just how much business is conducted in pubs/bars and the great majority legal businesses too. It sure helps to not only keep your ears open but to also let people know that you are looking for something. From a car or a job or a computer or other tools all can be found where people gather and get to know each other. People will go out of their way to help out a friend or even acquaintances and there are many possible friends to be made while working or even hanging out in a public gathering/social place. Good luck JT and congratulations.

Brian King

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. :) I called the guy today. He is totally on board with getting me started. He is making a couple calls today and I'll be getting some stuff in the mail. He asked if we'd be at the pub Saturday so we'll continue talking there. In the meantime the ball is starting to roll. I should be able to do that a couple days a week and then also work at the bar when needed. It's a great place, lots of regulars and I've talked with almost all of them at some point, and I talk with several all the time. Things are looking up. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes through as planned.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. :) I called the guy today. He is totally on board with getting me started. He is making a couple calls today and I'll be getting some stuff in the mail. He asked if we'd be at the pub Saturday so we'll continue talking there. In the meantime the ball is starting to roll. I should be able to do that a couple days a week and then also work at the bar when needed. It's a great place, lots of regulars and I've talked with almost all of them at some point, and I talk with several all the time. Things are looking up. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes through as planned.
Don't over serve, no matter how good the tips. The government will just take those tips right back in the form of a fine. Bartending is a dying art.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Fingers are crossed

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My fingers are crossed, too!

(toes, eyes,whatever else is crossable...)

Latest Discussions