Bansenshukai Ninjutsu

Shidoshi0153

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,
There is another form of ninjutsu out there called bansenshukai ninjutsu. I know this because I, along with two other martial artists started it. I would like to announce it here as I do not want any misunderstandings when it is discovered. If you have any questions about the who's, what's, why's etc. of bansenshukai, please let me know. I will be as forthcoming as possible. I only ask that you do not make any assumptions before coming to conclusions.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
There is another form of ninjutsu out there called bansenshukai ninjutsu. I know this because I, along with two other martial artists started it. I would like to announce it here as I do not want any misunderstandings when it is discovered. If you have any questions about the who's, what's, why's etc. of bansenshukai, please let me know. I will be as forthcoming as possible. I only ask that you do not make any assumptions before coming to conclusions.

Perhaps you could share a bit about this style. :)

Mike

OP
S

Shidoshi0153

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sure thing,

It is set up very similiar to the bujinkan, as that is where I have the most experience. It has ten kyu levels and then the dan levels. The major difference, however, is the emphasis of 21st adaptation of principles and a philosophy of taking ownership of your own training. In every kyu level we implement and test on:
  • Kamae - Postures for efficient body movement
  • Taihenjutsu - Skills for falling, evasion, and counters
  • Dakentaijutsu - Striking and kickboxing skills
  • Jutaijutsu - Grappling and joint manipulation skills
  • Kyushojutsu - Pressure points and vital targets
  • Nage Waza - Throwing methods
  • Shime Waza - Choking methods
  • Jujutsu - Ground Fighting skills
  • Shinobi no Buki - Weapons training
  • Okyu Shochi - First aid measures
  • Zanson - Survival techniques
  • Intonjutsu - Escape and evasion methods
  • Shinobi Iri - Stealth walking and movement techniques
  • Hensojutsu - Acting and disquise techniques
  • Mokuso - Meditation and Kuji-in

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Please elaborate on your training with the Bujinkan and other arts. You mentioned that the Bujinkan was where you have the most experience, I was just curious about what other systems and/or styles influence your curriculum.

Also, if you could expand upon the "...21st [century, I assume] adaptation of principles and a philosophy of taking ownership of your own training."

Are you focusing more on the legal ramifications of slaming a drugged-up person's skull into the concrete and self-protection in a post-9/11 world or the more MMA oriented fighters that you find on the streets today?

I am also interested in taking ownership of your own training. I assume that this doesn't mean self-teaching, right?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure thing,

It is set up very similiar to the bujinkan, as that is where I have the most experience. It has ten kyu levels and then the dan levels. The major difference, however, is the emphasis of 21st adaptation of principles and a philosophy of taking ownership of your own training. In every kyu level we implement and test on:
  • Kamae - Postures for efficient body movement
  • Taihenjutsu - Skills for falling, evasion, and counters
  • Dakentaijutsu - Striking and kickboxing skills
  • Jutaijutsu - Grappling and joint manipulation skills
  • Kyushojutsu - Pressure points and vital targets
  • Nage Waza - Throwing methods
  • Shime Waza - Choking methods
  • Jujutsu - Ground Fighting skills
  • Shinobi no Buki - Weapons training
  • Okyu Shochi - First aid measures
  • Zanson - Survival techniques
  • Intonjutsu - Escape and evasion methods
  • Shinobi Iri - Stealth walking and movement techniques
  • Hensojutsu - Acting and disquise techniques
  • Mokuso - Meditation and Kuji-in

Thanks for the breakdown. :) For the record, I really know nothing about Ninjutsu, so alot of the terms, etc., will be foreign to me. As far as the 21st adaptation goes, I'm assuming you're basically going along the same lines of what SKH did with Toshindo?

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who besides yourself started this system and what are their qualifications:
rank and systems studied and time in system.
What title do the three of you call yourselves
Why did you start this system?
Do you realy have the time ( years of experence ) in the bujinkan to feel that you can improve upon what is taught there?
If you are combining other training into the bujinkan training why are you still calling this a ninjutsu system?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That last question goes well with what I asked because I'll bet I have been in the martial arts longer than he has been alive yet that is not saying he has no right to start his own system or that he and the others do not have the knowledge to do so

OP
S

Shidoshi0153

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the questions. I will try to answer as concisely as possible as I tend to ramble. I will certainly elaborate more if need be.

I will try and answer your questions in order:
As far as the 21st adaptation goes, I'm assuming you're basically going along the same lines of what SKH did with Toshindo?

Well I would say I may be going along the same theory as SKH but not exactly along the same lines. Though I have trained with SKH on a couple of occassions, my two partners in bansenshukai used to run a Quest Center and would have more information for you. I can tell you there is quite a bit of difference.

Who besides yourself started this system and what are their qualifications:
If you search for bansenshukai ninjutsu, you will come across the web page and it will indicate who the three of us are. I don't want to speak for them as I don't know how they feel about forums. The experience between us, however, comes from many years in the bujinkan, ajj, karate, tae kwon do, military training, police training and experience with resistings. I also used to teach at a school which housed a boxing instructor, kung fu, bjj, karate, and mma instructors. We spent some years exchanging information.

rank and systems studied and time in system.
Again, I can only speak for myself. My bio is on the website, but I have 17 years in the bujinkan. I attained my 5th dan in 2001 and simply lost interest in belt rank. I have studied many years in other martial arts over the last 10 years but have never requested rank as it was usually instructors getting together to train and exchange information.

Why did you start this system?
For no other reason than to create a system that contained all my interests with a practical modern day approach. Do not get me wrong, I don't believe any system superior than another. I just didn't find a system with all the elements in it I really enjoyed, so we created one.

Do you realy have the time ( years of experence ) in the bujinkan to feel that you can improve upon what is taught there?
Nope. Not trying to change or improve a thing about the bujinkan. Matter of fact, I still train with some bujinkan guys. I do feel I have the training and experience to establish the Bansenshukai though. I have 5 years military experience, 9 years experience as a state trooper and 20 years in the martial arts (of several systems). I also continue to train with very talented men and women who constantly give their input. Yes, I am young, only 33. But I feel the bansenshukai is young as well and I will grow into it as Hatsumi had to upon the death of his instructor.

If you are combining other training into the bujinkan training why are you still calling this a ninjutsu system?
Well, this one is a little tricky. It all depends on how you define ninjutsu. If you define it as bujinkan budo taijutsu, than it might be misnamed. I, however, feel ninjutsu is a philosophy along with the combination of a variety of skills. In this we are very much ninjutsu. If this explanation is not enough, I can elaborate if you wish.

Regardless of your opinions on my endeavors, I want to truly thank you for your questions and for taking the time to post the classes. I cannot ask for more than that.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for your direct answers.
I wish the other gentelmen who started this with you could have responded also but I understand that not all people want to post on forums

midnightfox00

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where will you be trying to start dojos? I am wanting to train in Bujinkan as I have posted on another topic regarding this...however no dojos are in the fecinity. I like Bujinkan because in the information I was given it is the closest thing to ninjutsu that is available today...of course it has a more technical name previously mentioned but to me I just want to learn what the ancestors of this art were taught...I ask because if you are willing to train I am willing to help spread this new art.

I would like to learn Bujinkan first though...just so I can learn the art and philosiphy that is Ninjutsu.

OP
S

Shidoshi0153

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not starting any physical dojo's at this time. My dojo is 100% online, which makes it nice for people on the move or who do not have current access to an instructor where they live. I know there is a great post floating around here somewhere about the location of bujinkan dojos, but the thread and post escapes me. Good luck in your search though.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not starting any physical dojo's at this time. My dojo is 100% online, which makes it nice for people on the move or who do not have current access to an instructor where they live. I know there is a great post floating around here somewhere about the location of bujinkan dojos, but the thread and post escapes me. Good luck in your search though.

I will let others debate the issue of "Creating" an new art or system and its' merits.

I will comment on the online issue and in general video learning only.

While some people who have already learned a system in contact with a live person, they can use a video to refresh their memory or to even practice from. (* In my opinion the second requires a much greater understand og the body and movement and the art in general and specific. *)

To learn a system via video only in my opinion will not give the student what they need and deserve.

My opinion though and with that and $5 you can get a coffee at Carribou. ;)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinion though and with that and $5 you can get a coffee at Carribou. ;)

C'mon, Rich—now we know where all those fighters in the Mortal Kombat game learned their budo skills! I mean, what better place for a video fighter to learn than an online dojo, eh? :lol:

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the questions. I will try to answer as concisely as possible as I tend to ramble. I will certainly elaborate more if need be.

I will try and answer your questions in order:

Well I would say I may be going along the same theory as SKH but not exactly along the same lines. Though I have trained with SKH on a couple of occassions, my two partners in bansenshukai used to run a Quest Center and would have more information for you. I can tell you there is quite a bit of difference.

If you search for bansenshukai ninjutsu, you will come across the web page and it will indicate who the three of us are. I don't want to speak for them as I don't know how they feel about forums. The experience between us, however, comes from many years in the bujinkan, ajj, karate, tae kwon do, military training, police training and experience with resistings. I also used to teach at a school which housed a boxing instructor, kung fu, bjj, karate, and mma instructors. We spent some years exchanging information.

Again, I can only speak for myself. My bio is on the website, but I have 17 years in the bujinkan. I attained my 5th dan in 2001 and simply lost interest in belt rank. I have studied many years in other martial arts over the last 10 years but have never requested rank as it was usually instructors getting together to train and exchange information.

For no other reason than to create a system that contained all my interests with a practical modern day approach. Do not get me wrong, I don't believe any system superior than another. I just didn't find a system with all the elements in it I really enjoyed, so we created one.

Nope. Not trying to change or improve a thing about the bujinkan. Matter of fact, I still train with some bujinkan guys. I do feel I have the training and experience to establish the Bansenshukai though. I have 5 years military experience, 9 years experience as a state trooper and 20 years in the martial arts (of several systems). I also continue to train with very talented men and women who constantly give their input. Yes, I am young, only 33. But I feel the bansenshukai is young as well and I will grow into it as Hatsumi had to upon the death of his instructor.

Well, this one is a little tricky. It all depends on how you define ninjutsu. If you define it as bujinkan budo taijutsu, than it might be misnamed. I, however, feel ninjutsu is a philosophy along with the combination of a variety of skills. In this we are very much ninjutsu. If this explanation is not enough, I can elaborate if you wish.

Regardless of your opinions on my endeavors, I want to truly thank you for your questions and for taking the time to post the classes. I cannot ask for more than that.

I see I am not the only one who feels ninjitsu is more philosophy and method , rather than rigid adherance to tradition.

Tetsujin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see I am not the only one who feels ninjitsu is more philosophy and method , rather than rigid adherance to tradition.
Oh boy. I can't believe you just necro'ed a two year old thread. You sure appear to be getting rather desperate in your attempts to justify what you are doing. (Which is weird in itself given your repeated claims not to care what others here think.)

Did you miss this part of the post you quoted (my emphasis)?:
Shidoshi0153 said:
I, however, feel ninjutsu is a philosophy along with the combination of a variety of skills. In this we are very much ninjutsu.
The bold part is important. It states the posters (correct) belief that the art is MORE than ONLY a philosophy (and method). It is also a variety of skills. And if you've never trained in those particular skills then any new style you create will NOT be Ninjutsu.

Perhaps you also missed the part where the above poster stated he trained to 5th dan in a legitimate form of Ninjutsu before deciding to form his own hybrid style.

And you are yet again misrepresenting those who oppose the naming of your new 'art' by suggesting that the issue is one of "rigid adherence to tradition". You know that is not the issue. You know this because you have been told repeatedly that the real issue is your attempt to form your own style of a martial art in which you have never trained.

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wellfor sure this gentleman has extensive time with the bujinkan, I believe he said 17 years or so, which certainly is quite different than myself. You will also get agreement from me about the skills part. My art has a skillset as well, and combined with the philosophy and methodology, equates to what I call Kug Maky Ung Ryu Ninjitsu, however, in doing some research, I feel I may have come up with a more descriptive name. Kug Maky Ung Ryu Ninpo Shugenbojutsu. This speaks more descriptively to the foundation of my system, and would help differentiate me from the X kan systems, of which I have no affiliation.

Latest Discussions