Baguazhang?

tigercrane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread to say the least. It is said somewhere that Buguazhang is a high level art that is duly appreciated by any hard style practitioner for its guerrilla style warfare that is replete with evasive ground footwork, joint locks, and the famous "coiling body". I think any internal art will take longer time to understand.

I am about to start learning Bagua while still practicing Okinawan karate. Actually, after I have tried the circle walking, I immediately thought to myself that it was probably mostly useless. Then, after reading more about it, I saw that I was wrong.
I think Baguazhang and other internal styles offer one to transition from hard to soft, where as someone who just practiced Internal style would do the opposite, i.e. transition from soft to hard.

In conclusion, I think as we age and we lose our physical strength and stamina, Bagua and other Neijia style offer to much more in terms of martial arts as opposed to hard styles. I have heard of many JMA and CMA practitioners having health issues because of physically demanding training.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there any video of Bagua sparring? Or maybe just some application? I've always thought it sounds interesting but I haven't seen it in action very much.

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has any experience with this art? I am also kind of wondering why it isn't mentioned in the internal arts section. Am I, ah, in the wrong martial arts section for it?

I do love me some circle walking meditation time.

I'm a martial artist of 35 years - my experience with baguazhang is limited to circle walking with basic 8 palms - Cheng style, learned from the book "The Whirling Circles of Baguazhang" - circle walking is amazing. It has improved my footwork, meditation, concentration, awareness and my overall practice in many ways. Like chi kung (qigong), watching someone does it doesn't give you anything - you have to DO it. A master of baguazhang will move high, low and around the back of you - very hard to locate!