Average

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been hearing some pretty large claims about what martial arts schools are charging per month. I'm curious as to what the average per month charge is for martial arts around the country. If you don't mind, what do your schools charge on average per month for martial arts instruction?

7sm

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My home school charges $47 per month- it is 3 hours north of Sacramento in a town of about 70,000. My home away from home school (out of a garage) charges $50 per month (closer to the city). Most bigger schools in this area though charge upwards of $90 per month.....yikes!!

:asian: :karate:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For our Taekwondo classes, 12 month, unlimited - could be 9 classes a week - is still 49. per month. 3 mo. and 1 mo. rates are higher. This is a small, midwest town though.
I heard we are way below the norm. But our master wants to attract and keep people and even that is hard for some budgets. My whole family was in for a while so I got a 10 dollar break for each one. 49, 39, 29, 19 like. Other discounts for out of towners who travel.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I charge $40 a month for adults $25 or kids
I am by far the lowest priced school in the area

W

WLMantisKid

I pay 75 a month for my instruction.
up to 7 classes a week and some incentives to get new members. (money)

E

Elfan

WLMantisKid said:
I pay 75 a month for my instruction.
up to 7 classes a week and some incentives to get new members. (money)
NAPMA might have some hard stats. I belive the "average" is $65 or $70 a mounth but I'm not positive. Also, wherever that statistic came from its probably based on major commercial NAPMA like schools, not proverbial guys in their garrage who charge a lot less.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pay 80 something a month for unlimited classes and being part of the BB club, in southern NM.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for your sharing. These are well below what I was told and I think Elfan probably has it right, these stats I was given were probably from a select group of schools.

I had been told on average $100 a month was the low side.

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, one more thing, for those of you who have lots of time and enjoy research, anyone find any stats to show an average? Anything that might be a true stat and not tainted?

7sm

S

ShaolinWolf

At my school, you start with the beginner payment, $69, then Black Belt Club, $75(gets you to 1st degree). After that, you sign up for the Master Club(take you to 2nd and beyond. Master Club is $79. And then to become an instructor, you pay and extra $10 a month. So, right now I'm paying $89. I can go to as many classes a week as I wish.

Of course there were starter fees for each boost from beginner to black belt club to Master Club to Instructor. For black belt club, the down payment was like up in the $200-$400s(included sparring gear, foam chucks, foam short stick, and super large ATA Gym bag that everything fits into with a lot of room leftover) and the Master club was $310, and my instructor test/tuition was $250. then my Instructor uniform cost me $212.

Now I'm just paying $89 a month for unlimited classes and help teach a minimum of 4 hrs a week. LOL. Anyways, the normal that people pay is $75-79 at my school.

And I'm not saying how much additional weapons. Bo staff is $35. Foam Short Stick and foam chucks combo are $45 for single set(1 stick + 1 chuck). Anyways, sorry for the whole huge post. Too long and I know all you wanted to know was the monthly...LOL

:asian: Kudos for bearing with me!

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm 35 miles northwest of Boston. $75 per month for 3 classes/week, unlimited use of the dojo and gym when classes aren't in session.

R

rschoon

I charge 50.00 per month. County is about 100,000. That gives a student 2 groups per week at 1 1/2 hours each. I am a club of 7 students and do not intend on going higher. :asian:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
My classes range from Tuesdays £4.75 for 1.5 hrs and £3.50 Thursdays, but kids under 16 pay less. We all pay for each class we attend not a monthly ot yearly fee.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You guys have been very helpful, thank you. Keep them coming.

7sm

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One school charges $60/mo and offers four 2hr classes per week.
Another charges $40/mo and offers three 2hr classes per week.
Another charges $40/mo (and allows you to work instead of paying) for two 2hrs per week.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
At my old school it was $80/month for unlimited training, across all curriculums (sp?), meaning if you felt like trying out Muay Thai for a month, you could at no extra charge.

With my current instructor, in his backyard, he doesn't charge me anything for training, $10/sub-test (2 per level), then $25 for the level test.

W

white eagle

My school charges anywhere from 66-76 a mounth I pay 66 I thought that that was high though We have 1-1.5 hr classes Have to pay for testing fees and any extra stuff weapons and new uniforms and the like

D....

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I notice the trend is that those schools that charge more justify it with 'unlimited' access to other things, classes, .....

How many of those who are members of such programs really feel that they are maximinizing their return on investment by using any gyms, exercise classes, attending lower belt classes to reinforce the basics....?

It is nice to have such options, but -especially with child enrollments - if the 'worth' of the higher rate is the potential services available, is it really being used?

I would rather spend a little less - get specifically what I am looking for - and have testing fees and such inclusive instead of paying loads for services I have no time or intention of using - or that my child will not take advantage of either.

E

elcajon555

Tuition per month is 75, if another member is out of the same account then their tuition is 55. We have classes 6 days a week and on monday wednesday and friday there is a day and night class. So you could go to as many as 9 classes per week, around 1 hour per class. There is a testing fee, uniform fee, and sparring gear fee. We also have access to weights. I feel I get my moneys worth and since I am not testing alot(because I am a black belt, testing for the first time in three years) I don;t have to spend that extra money. The way I think about it is one average I go 4-5 classes a week, which is 16-20 classes a month. Which is about 4 dollars per class which is not a lot at all. I like the unlimited access.

Latest Discussions