attacking with kenpo

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would you hit someone whom threatened to kill your child that was standing next to you? This isn't a Chuck Noris movie.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Would you hit someone whom threatened to kill your child that was standing next to you? This isn't a Chuck Noris movie.
Sean

Sean, let me ask you this. If you were confronted and there was an avenue of escape, would you take it, while at the same time, trying to first, verbally defuse the situation, or would you, choose to take a swing at the guy even though you had the chance to leave without further confrontation?

As for your question though...if the person who made that comment made an aggressive move towards me, my child, or my wife, then yes, of course.

Mike

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is that it's all about distance. I very much advise, from a lot of experience, not to allow anyone who is being agressive within a certain range. You may diffuse a situation but do it from a safe distance. Standing nose to nose with someone means that person who gets hit will be the person who doesn't move first.

I know from a certain distance, I can pretty much hit anyone of any rank period (if I move first). This is not a boast, as I do not feel I am anyone special. This can be said for most well trained martial artists and some experienced street toughs. So I know what I am capable of, since I am no one special, that means others can be as capable or more.

I fully expect those that disagree with me will never believe what I say and nothing I say will make a difference. You see someone like Doc, an LEO, advising not allowing someone within arms reach. He is not just speaking from his martial arts training here, but a different kind of experience.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
There have been a few instances in which the person threatened bodily harm, only to never follow through. In many cases, his verbal threats, could simply be intimidation. Should we assume this always to be the case? Not at all. Having my hands up, slightly bladed stance, is providing me with a defense/offense if that need arises.
It is difficult, if not impossible, to discern the intent of other people.

I've always tried to take people at their word when they threaten me...whether I'm keeping distance, running away or ready to pounce...it doesn't always have to end up physical, but if it does I'd like to not get hurt.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MJS said:
Sean, let me ask you this. If you were confronted and there was an avenue of escape, would you take it, while at the same time, trying to first, verbally defuse the situation, or would you, choose to take a swing at the guy even though you had the chance to leave without further confrontation?

As for your question though...if the person who made that comment made an aggressive move towards me, my child, or my wife, then yes, of course.

Mike

I agree. If there is an avenue of escape, take it. Don't let someone into your space where they can attack you, and get out of there if possible. If not possible, if the person has invaded your space and is verbally and/or physically threatening you, then it is time to fight even if he hasn't thrown the first punch yet.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:

Mike

From reading this thread, the issue seems to be the individuals "line that has to be crossed" before action is initiated. What's interesting is that time wise, we're possibly talking about a split second. Not a lot of time if you're going to wait for them to initiate an agressive move.

I look at it this way, if the threat is against one of my children or a SO, then there will be no hesitation. Once I'm sure the attacker can no longer carry our his threat against them, we'll leave. But trying to get away and expecting those you're trying to protect to keep up, or risk the potential of being caught from behind wouldn't exactly be my first choice.

If it's just me, then I would probably be more inclined to your point of view. It's all a matter of perspective.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ray said:
It is difficult, if not impossible, to discern the intent of other people.

Difficult yes, impossible no. All the more reason for the importance of reading body language.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Zoran said:
The bottom line is that it's all about distance. I very much advise, from a lot of experience, not to allow anyone who is being agressive within a certain range. You may diffuse a situation but do it from a safe distance. Standing nose to nose with someone means that person who gets hit will be the person who doesn't move first.

I know from a certain distance, I can pretty much hit anyone of any rank period (if I move first). This is not a boast, as I do not feel I am anyone special. This can be said for most well trained martial artists and some experienced street toughs. So I know what I am capable of, since I am no one special, that means others can be as capable or more.

I fully expect those that disagree with me will never believe what I say and nothing I say will make a difference. You see someone like Doc, an LEO, advising not allowing someone within arms reach. He is not just speaking from his martial arts training here, but a different kind of experience.

The further the person, the less threat they are. Aside from pulling a gun and shooting you, neither you nor they can reach with punches or kicks. Can they run towards you? Sure, and if thats the case, again, all the more reason to be aware and ready. If you plan on launching an offense, they are going to need to be close enough to reach. If the person is aggressively moving towards you, it would be safe to bet that you'd better be prepared to do something. Having your hands up, gives you that barrier or zone around you. Once they are getting past that, again its safe to assume that they will most likely do something and you need to react.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:

Mike
What is to escape from. Its not as if the person who threatened to kill you or your family will just shrug his shoulders and go away. Sure maybe if you are a tourist and are simply being berated for something your country did before you were born, or you can tell its not the type of threat you need to concern yourself with past the moment you walk out the door, but threats should be taken as rainchecks.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jdinca said:
From reading this thread, the issue seems to be the individuals "line that has to be crossed" before action is initiated. What's interesting is that time wise, we're possibly talking about a split second. Not a lot of time if you're going to wait for them to initiate an agressive move.

I look at it this way, if the threat is against one of my children or a SO, then there will be no hesitation. Once I'm sure the attacker can no longer carry our his threat against them, we'll leave. But trying to get away and expecting those you're trying to protect to keep up, or risk the potential of being caught from behind wouldn't exactly be my first choice.

If it's just me, then I would probably be more inclined to your point of view. It's all a matter of perspective.

You're right. There may not even be a chance to verbally defuse this, due to what you said above..the distance can be closed quick. By all means, if there is no time to talk, then yes, I agree that an appropriate physical response will be necessary.

What we all need to keep in mind, is that every situation will be different. To go off of one persons thoughts, experiences, etc., is assuming that every single person will have the same thing happen to them. And we all know what happens when we assume something.:) I recall a road rage incident that happened to me, while I was with my family. When both vehicles finally came to a stop, I found it interesting that the aggressor, the one with the biggest mouth, the one saying that he was going to kick our ***, never left the side of his car. Instead, he was out of his car, standing between the car door. For someone that was so hell bent on causing bodily harm to both my Father and I, he never once made an aggressive move. When he realized that his 'threats' were not having the effect he was hoping for, he got back in his car, and drove away.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
What is to escape from. Its not as if the person who threatened to kill you or your family will just shrug his shoulders and go away. Sure maybe if you are a tourist and are simply being berated for something your country did before you were born, or you can tell its not the type of threat you need to concern yourself with past the moment you walk out the door, but threats should be taken as rainchecks.
Sean

Thanks for the reply, but you still didn't answer the question. If you had the choice between leaving if you could, or staying to deal with the threat, what would you do?

Mike

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
You're right. There may not even be a chance to verbally defuse this, due to what you said above..the distance can be closed quick. By all means, if there is no time to talk, then yes, I agree that an appropriate physical response will be necessary.

What we all need to keep in mind, is that every situation will be different. To go off of one persons thoughts, experiences, etc., is assuming that every single person will have the same thing happen to them. And we all know what happens when we assume something.:) I recall a road rage incident that happened to me, while I was with my family. When both vehicles finally came to a stop, I found it interesting that the aggressor, the one with the biggest mouth, the one saying that he was going to kick our ***, never left the side of his car. Instead, he was out of his car, standing between the car door. For someone that was so hell bent on causing bodily harm to both my Father and I, he never once made an aggressive move. When he realized that his 'threats' were not having the effect he was hoping for, he got back in his car, and drove away.

Mike

Good points. Hey, wait a minute, did you just call me an ***? :confused:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jdinca said:
Good points.

Thank you.:)

Hey, wait a minute, did you just call me an ***? :confused:

Not at all. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was just stating that nobody should assume certain things will happen in a confrontation. Just an over-all generalization. Looking at certain posts, it seems to me anyway, that because they have had certain things happen, that everyone else in the same situation will have the same results.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Thanks for the reply, but you still didn't answer the question. If you had the choice between leaving if you could, or staying to deal with the threat, what would you do?

Mike
I always do.
Sean

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please forgive me backstepping a little bit. I have many weaknesses, but Doc touched upon one that I didn't know I had. You all are a lot further along in your training than I am, I would love to hear your input.

Doc said:
When someone tells you they are going to do something to you, believe it.

I don't know if I could hit someone if I didn't feel threatened.

Have any of you felt that way...or is it just me and my inexperience?

Hitting someone is difficult for me to process. I have never hit or been hit (class excluded). I am a bit intuitive and analytical by nature...when I get a feeling that something is terribly wrong, I get away from that place.

If someone were to threaten to do something to me and I had some sense of danger, I think I could see myself hitting the person, or strongly considering it.

It seems possible that someone could threaten me in a way that just doesn't register as a credible threat. It would be much harder for me to hit someone if this was the case.

Have any of you felt this way or am I alone here?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Thank you.:)

Not at all. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was just stating that nobody should assume certain things will happen in a confrontation. Just an over-all generalization. Looking at certain posts, it seems to me anyway, that because they have had certain things happen, that everyone else in the same situation will have the same results.

Sorry, that was a joke. :wink2:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
Please forgive me backstepping a little bit. I have many weaknesses, but Doc touched upon one that I didn't know I had. You all are a lot further along in your training than I am, I would love to hear your input.

I don't know if I could hit someone if I didn't feel threatened.

Have any of you felt that way...or is it just me and my inexperience?

Hitting someone is difficult for me to process. I have never hit or been hit (class excluded). I am a bit intuitive and analytical by nature...when I get a feeling that something is terribly wrong, I get away from that place.

If someone were to threaten to do something to me and I had some sense of danger, I think I could see myself hitting the person, or strongly considering it.

It seems possible that someone could threaten me in a way that just doesn't register as a credible threat. It would be much harder for me to hit someone if this was the case.

Have any of you felt this way or am I alone here?
I suggest the book: "The Gift Of Fear." by Gavin DeBecker.
I feel this might put some of these things in context for you and help you understand the seriousness of decisions you must make and the mindset you should have with regard to your own safety on a day-to-day basis.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods we consider this a spiritule fitness issue. It helps to compile a list of things you would die for. If the situation isn't worth your life then walk away. A lack of spritual fitness could very well result in a faliure to protect your family, yourself, friends or any other principles you hold dear.
Sean

Latest Discussions