Atacx gym shaolin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you forget that I hold a Black Belt in Shaolin Kempo as well? Here's my variant of Shaolin Kempo Combination 3. It's much more functional than the traditional version. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who is the "you" to whom you refer?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many black belts do you have? I can think of four you've said off the top of my head.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not bad. You can also change your height and then the groin is just fine as a target for a punch. And instead of grabbing the arm, you can grab the shoulder and pull down... As long as the guy reacts to the groin shot.

Does your dm3 not have a takedown already? Mine didn't stop at the back two-knuckle punch.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not bad. You can also change your height and then the groin is just fine as a target for a punch. And instead of grabbing the arm, you can grab the shoulder and pull down... As long as the guy reacts to the groin shot.

Does your dm3 not have a takedown already? Mine didn't stop at the back two-knuckle punch.

Absolutely. Your variants and suggestions are dead on target. I tend to focus on the bladder/groin shot set up because it's gender and largely age nuetral...kids of either sex, smaller men and women can use this approach with greater success.

The takedowns I teach at my Gym at that lowest of ranks...Pre-White Belt Lvl A...are all used with every attack in that rank. So we'll do whatever sequence [ dm 3 in this case ] and shoot the double or single [ usually with help from another tech like a good bite on his thigh. I couldn't show that on the video because my uke--AL--is untrained and is no fan of such a move, lol ] or osotogare, tai otoshi, ashi, bodylock trip, etc. after, before, and in the midst of every attack sequence.

We get in copious amounts of reps [ usually 300 per practice ] and work up lotsa sweat, but it's fun as hell and nobody gets bored...and my students get good really fast as a result.

And NO...the way I was initially taught dm 3? We had NO TAKEDOWNS in it. What did yours have?

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many black belts do you have? I can think of four you've said off the top of my head.

Black belts in: Shaolin Kempo, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Hapkido, Judo, Kenpo Karate, Hung Gar [ black sash ] the equivalent of same [ coach or assistant coach rank ] in boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai, and I'm a Capoeira instructor too. Capoeira has cords, not belts. There's more, but you get the point.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The takedown in my version is right after the back two-knuckle, you grab the opposite shoulder, pulling it to you, while simultaneously pushing the opposite shoulder away, and pull down to take him to the ground. As he's falling, you can throw a front two-knuckle to the chin. From what I understand, it's a fairly common takedown from dm3. What lineage was yours though?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be bluntly honest, Ras, I'd say that you've learnt some mechanics of all these systems, but you haven't learnt any martial art yet (itself). That's from your seeming complete lack of understanding of how and why they structure techniques the way they do, and the insistence that each art, regardless of it's history or origin, or it's ideal context, needs to be designed for your immediate needs where you are then and there. In this clip you show no understanding of the changing methods of attack that have been preferred in different areas, and at different times, as well as missing the basic tactics that the initial technique is teaching you. Additionally, your mechanics don't suit this system, as you've taken them from your more standard Kempo, and just changed the order of the strikes. Oh, and your guy isn't going to hit you a lot of the time, so your distancing, as well as your timing, is out.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To be bluntly honest, Ras, I'd say that you've learnt some mechanics of all these systems, but you haven't learnt any martial art yet (itself). That's from your seeming complete lack of understanding of how and why they structure techniques the way they do, and the insistence that each art, regardless of it's history or origin, or it's ideal context, needs to be designed for your immediate needs where you are then and there. In this clip you show no understanding of the changing methods of attack that have been preferred in different areas, and at different times, as well as missing the basic tactics that the initial technique is teaching you. Additionally, your mechanics don't suit this system, as you've taken them from your more standard Kempo, and just changed the order of the strikes. Oh, and your guy isn't going to hit you a lot of the time, so your distancing, as well as your timing, is out.

The entirety of this analysis, top to bottom, is incorrect. You have the right to voice your [ comprehensively incorrect in all forms ] analysis of what you think I know of mechanics and martial arts [ even though your analysis and perceptions have less to do with any form of reality than the The Cat in The Hat on a LSD trip induced dream ].

And this:
. That's from your seeming complete lack of understanding of how and why they structure techniques the way they do, and the insistence that each art, regardless of it's history or origin, or it's ideal context, needs to be designed for your immediate needs where you are then and there. In this clip you show no understanding of the changing methods of attack that have been preferred in different areas, and at different times, as well as missing the basic tactics that the initial technique is teaching you. Additionally, your mechanics don't suit this system, as you've taken them from your more standard Kempo, and just changed the order of the strikes. Oh, and your guy isn't going to hit you a lot of the time, so your distancing, as well as your timing, is out.

A few decades ago I had the opportunity to show this sequence to one of Fred Villari's top West Coast guys. He was quite impressed...especially since this was decades before the UFC got its current full head of steam, and during the time that Pancrase had not yet yielded its position in the minds of combat martial arts fans worldwide as the premier and most popular combat sport on the planet. He proceeded to say the exact opposite of all that you opined above.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then counter my criticism, Ras. Explain how the mechanics, power source, philosophy etc are different for Shaolin Kempo versus your American Kempo. Explain how you aren't missing the basic tactics of the technique in your version.

In other words, just saying "you're wrong" without any backup isn't a very convincing argument from you. And I'm basing my assessment of your knowledge on a lot more than just this one clip.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then counter my criticism, Ras. Explain how the mechanics, power source, philosophy etc are different for Shaolin Kempo versus your American Kempo. Explain how you aren't missing the basic tactics of the technique in your version.

In other words, just saying "you're wrong" without any backup isn't a very convincing argument from you. And I'm basing my assessment of your knowledge on a lot more than just this one clip.

The above isn't a counter to your criticism. The first part to any aspect of doing the above would be first for you to verify with an empirical analysis that your opinion holds factual merit. My grasp of mechanics, my power source, understanding of philosophy, etc etc are not questionable merely because you said they are.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, you added a bit....

And this:

A few decades ago I had the opportunity to show this sequence to one of Fred Villari's top West Coast guys. He was quite impressed...especially since this was decades before the UFC got its current full head of steam, and during the time that Pancrase had not yet yielded its position in the minds of combat martial arts fans worldwide as the premier and most popular combat sport on the planet. He proceeded to say the exact opposite of all that you opined above.

Frankly, that's irrelevant (and a few decades ago? You would have been, what, 12?). Who knows, maybe you did it better back then than you did on this video? But what does the UFC/MMA have to do with a Shaolin Kempo technique? Name dropping out of context doesn't mean much, Ras.

The above isn't a counter to your criticism. The first part to any aspect of doing the above would be first for you to verify with an empirical analysis that your opinion holds factual merit. My grasp of mechanics, my power source, understanding of philosophy, etc etc are not questionable merely because you said they are.

No kidding it's not a counter...

But no, that's not the first part. Partially because that's not what "empirical" means (again), but mainly because you're the one demonstrating, you're the one claiming to have all these disparate ranks, and you're the one whose clips all look the same no matter what art it is you're claiming to be showing. Your Judo clip has been classified as not being Judo, your Shaolin clip here looks just like your American Kempo stuff, your Capoeira suffers from similar issues, and so on. I'm actually giving you the opportunity to demonstrate some credibility here, you might want to grab hold of it while you can.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Frankly, that's irrelevant (and a few decades ago? You would have been, what, 12?). Who knows, maybe you did it better back then than you did on this video? But what does the UFC/MMA have to do with a Shaolin Kempo technique? Name dropping out of context doesn't mean much, Ras.

You're incorrect--again--in every regard. Since you're in Australia, you might not appreciate the context of my commen regarding the UFC and Pancrase...which may explain why you misunderstood it.

QUOTE=Chris Parker;1488078]
But no, that's not the first part. Partially because that's not what "empirical" means (again), but mainly because you're the one demonstrating, you're the one claiming to have all these disparate ranks, and you're the one whose clips all look the same no matter what art it is you're claiming to be showing.[/QUOTE]

I apologize for assuming that you've spent time around enough quality scientists who use the term "empirical analysis" as shorthand for an analysis presenting comprehensive empirical data which propels their objective analysis to the reasonable conclusion which they have reached.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please. I go back a while too, Ras. I was around when it all started, and again I ask what on earth that has to do with your understanding of the differences between arts, as you have yet to display any actual understanding whatsoever of anything beyond different combinations and sequences of movements.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please. I go back a while too, Ras. I was around when it all started, and again I ask what on earth that has to do with your understanding of the differences between arts, as you have yet to display any actual understanding whatsoever of anything beyond different combinations and sequences of movements.

My grasp of mechanics, my power source, understanding of philosophy, etc etc are not questionable merely because you said they are.

In order to evoke the response that you wish, you need to provide evidence of the correctness of your assertion. You have not done so...you have merely opined about my [ in your opinion ] lack of understanding of this and that. Provide evidence that your opinion is frocked with something more potent, more concrete, more sure than...the posts asserting your opinions.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The evidence is your own videos and posts scattered throughout this forum and others, versus my posts on similar topics (the particulars of martial arts and so forth). You're not looking that good, and ducking the question like this just makes you look worse, Ras. I'm offering you a way out here.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The evidence is your own videos and posts scattered throughout this forum and others, versus my posts on similar topics (the particulars of martial arts and so forth). You're not looking that good, and ducking the question like this just makes you look worse, Ras. I'm offering you a way out here.

Thank you for the offer. But this exchange would be curtailed if you would offer video of what you are specifically referring to. If the evidence is in my own videos? Simply copy and paste the relevant videos. You have spent 30 minutes going back and forth over various threads of mine responding to this and that post. Surely a mere minute or two more to post the specific video you're referring to won't inconvenience you further

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Er, I think you meant to post that in the Sword and Hammer thread, Ras... you're not getting confused, now, are you?

No, not confused. Observe the time stamps on this thread in question:

Today, 11:41 AM#17 Chris Parker

• Re: Atacx gym shaolin
The evidence is your own videos and posts scattered throughout this forum and others, versus my posts on similar topics (the particulars of martial arts and so forth). You're not looking that good, and ducking the question like this just makes you look worse, Ras. I'm offering you a way out here.​
With respect,
Chris Parker

Observe the time stamp of my response:

Today, 12:13 PM#18 ATACX GYM

user-online.png
Martial Talk
2nd Black Belt

reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_greenh.gif

Join Date Feb 2011Posts 868Thanks 131Thanked 98 Times in 79 PostsRep Power2

Re: Atacx gym shaolin

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Chris Parker

Thank you for the offer. But this exchange would be curtailed if you would offer video of what you are specifically referring to. If the evidence is in my own videos? Simply copy and paste the relevant videos. You have spent 30 minutes going back and forth over various threads of mine responding to this and that post. Surely a mere minute or two more to post the specific video you're referring to won't inconvenience you further

That's more than 30 minutes.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions