As I have grown

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Over the years I have seen a constant change of thinking every year with different things. When I first started in the Martial Arts I just wanted to learn BJJ that I had seen Gracie perform in UFC 1 (as I thought it was the ultimate martial art), then I saw the importance of striking and throwing and defence. There was a period of time when I saw no use for Kata, now I believe Kata is needed, there was a time when I thought all you had to learn was the hurting part of the martial arts, now I see the value in learning how to heal, and yet when I thought I was about done with my way of thinking I still have many basic ways of thinking that are changing daily. So what has changed for you over the years?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like you alot, when I first started it was about fighting , then self defense. Now it is about finding enlightment though training. I know it wil change again when I hit the platto, but that is the fun thoughout the journey learning always learning.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like you alot, when I first started it was about fighting , then self defense. Now it is about finding enlightment though training. I know it wil change again when I hit the platto, but that is the fun thoughout the journey learning always learning.[/quote]

So true. My journey has gone from a past need to get back to my roots, then to self defense, and now health maintenance and competition. And I feel like I'm still a beginner. I think that'll always be the case, which is a good thing IMO.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
basically my focus has gone from self defense because i was scared, to sport fighting because i felt i had something to prove, to training for the hell of it so i don't lose my mind. also teaching so i can help others grow as i have, if they are willing to.

jf

Last edited:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's important to change over the years since thats what allows us to grow and it also keeps it interesting! In the beginning sparring was my main interest. Over time I also became interested in teaching and in also learning weapons. Then I enjoyed promoting seminars and then opened my own school. Now I enjoy providing a place for the community to come and train and share in martial arts and in using this place to help others. I still am a student, however, being versatile has taught me a lot and has kept me interested enough to make martial arts a lifetime study.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not even sure I can list all of the changes that have occured over the ages, Lets just say some things and people I belived in I no longer belive in and I have come to realise that there is really no end to the learning of a system or the martial arts in general

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I started my training I was looking to become more effective at self defense, and it was a matter of " When all you have is a hammer the whole world looks like a nail".

Now I have a whole toolbox and many more options, self defense is still my focus but I've become interested in the principles and what makes things work, and the opportunity to continue learning and improving.

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
change is not a bad thing. no one style is going to prevail over another. its going to be the one who is most prepared..parker, tuiolosega, woo, they all knew this and encouraged you to learn all you could. trying out new things or ideas is not a new concept. not all students do every set or move in exactly the same way and a good instructor can watch and learn from this in itsself and incorporate changes. martial arts IS a constant learning experience, as it should be.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What a great question! This is why I think it's a little shortsighted to worry about WHY a person is joining a class (outside the reason of wanting to hurt people!). I have trained for many reasons, too.

I started for s-d b/c I was worried about being attacked, then I was worried I would never be attacked and NEVER get to use my skills! Then I started growing as a person and looking for lessons within my training, then I just wanted to learn cool things, now I like to meet new people and learn new things b/c it's FUN!

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Didn't Bruce Lee say something to the effect of:
"Before I started martial arts, I thought a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick. Then I started ma and thought it was more. Now I realize that a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."
Can someone find the correct quote?

AoG

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Over the years I have seen a constant change of thinking every year with different things. When I first started in the Martial Arts I just wanted to learn BJJ that I had seen Gracie perform in UFC 1 (as I thought it was the ultimate martial art), then I saw the importance of striking and throwing and defence. There was a period of time when I saw no use for Kata, now I believe Kata is needed, there was a time when I thought all you had to learn was the hurting part of the martial arts, now I see the value in learning how to heal, and yet when I thought I was about done with my way of thinking I still have many basic ways of thinking that are changing daily. So what has changed for you over the years?

Well I started in American Kenpo Karate back in 95 or 96 which I trained in for 2.5 years followed by 7 years in Ryukyu Kempo. I had a fair wmount of time off due to an extremely sour taste left in my mouth from my Ryukyu instructor. I have returned to the martial arts, now studying BJJ and reality based self defense. As I have grown and met various instructors my opinions have changed vastly. As I see it now there are certain necessities in the arts and certain things that may help but aren't necessary for one to be able to successfully defend oneself (the following is not everything one can defend oneself with but for someone to learn self defense as quickly as possible). One must have solid striking and grappling and some knowledge of basic throws. Other than that everything else is gravy. Kata for example which past instructors have put emphasis on may help (after massive amounts of training) but is not essential to learning self defense. Pressure points are hit and and miss and though may assist are in no way an essential tool to learn. I used to believe that it was best to use minimal force all of the time however I have come to learn now that this may not always be possible and it is better to walk away alive especially against more than one assailant or an armed one. I also am able to sus out those full of :bs:

Cheers
Sam:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's important to change over the years since thats what allows us to grow and it also keeps it interesting! In the beginning sparring was my main interest. Over time I also became interested in teaching and in also learning weapons. Then I enjoyed promoting seminars and then opened my own school. Now I enjoy providing a place for the community to come and train and share in martial arts and in using this place to help others. I still am a student, however, being versatile has taught me a lot and has kept me interested enough to make martial arts a lifetime study.

Couldn't have said it better! :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started without expectations; I was talked into starting by the guy I was dating at the time (who has, I might add, long since quit). When I first started, I had never done any athletic endeavour at which I had any success - so my first experience was finding out that, if I was interested enough, I could actually learn something athletic. It shocked the blazes out of me. From that beginning, my whole journey has been about learning new things that I could do - all the other aspects, self-defense, sparring, breaking, patterns, etc., have been demonstrations of that - and it still freaks me out on occasion, that as a non-athletic, uncoordinated kid, I learned all that I have, and continue to learn more - even though when I started, I never intended to be in TKD (or any other MA) at all.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I began martial arts with a goal toward fitness, then my goal changed to serious self defense. I went through a cocky phase as an orange belt, feeling invincible, then humbled quickly when I realized how much more there was to learn. For a couple of years I strongly desired to impress others with my art, but in the last year or so I have changed that to wanting to impress only myself. Now it's all about the art, not the rank, and I feel grateful every day that I can train with other martial artists. It is a privilege indeed.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kata for example which past instructors have put emphasis on may help (after massive amounts of training) but is not essential to learning self defense. Pressure points are hit and and miss and though may assist are in no way an essential tool to learn.

Cheers
Sam:asian:
I agree with you here I am very pro Kata though I am not for teaching a vast amount of Kata. Pressure Points are in no way essential though I think if you want to grow a little more its good to know and a good way to help make your art a little more complete. That is another way that I have grown is in that way of thinking. I have really enjoyed reading everyones experiances here would love to read more.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent question!

Wow, I'm not in most ways the same person that I was at 14 (when I started MA). I figured I'd have every part of Taekwondo figured out by the time I was a BB. So, after I received my 1st Dan I looked over the fence at the "greener grass" & dabbled in a bit of Aikido & Hapkido. In college & after, I idolized Jean Yves Theriault, Rick Roufus & other PKA kickboxing folks. There was a time when I thought being the Middleweight full-contact rules world champion was the thing for me to pursue. So, I found a trainer of world champions & drove 25 miles one-way to train to be be the next Theriault. After 3 months of exhausting training, I was hooked, but I knew I didn't have what it took to train at that level.

I've grown to appreciate my Art again & teaching every part of it to my students. I've grown to love forms in a way I never thought I would. I've learned that I don't need to stop training in my Art to learn other things. (I guess I've learned to multi-task:))

I started MA to take care of a bully problem. In all my 26+ years of training, I've never been in a single fight outside of class. Boy, I'm sure glad I found much more to my Art than just SD. But that part is fun, too!

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a vital point to consider. Thank you for sharing your experience 🙏

You can usually gauge when a person begun based on the sport or style they have chosen to pursue. The OP began with BJJ because of seeing the Gracie performance in UFC1 and wanted to emulate - we often pick a martial hero to aspire toward, it seems to be a common human trait.

As a youngster fighting was a daily experience. We lived in a rough part of town :)

A Karate dojo opened up nearby and it was supposed to be a tough place to train. It was a kyokushin dojo and we were active kids seeking a challenge, so we joined. The physical training was tough, everyone was given the same treatment regardless of their age. At the time I was not even 9yrs old, but I loved the tough training regime and made some good friends.

We learnt the katas and the techniques, took the gradings and began testing the techniques. It soon dawned on me that most of this stuff was not applicable to reality. The lessons and directions being given were perfect for sports events and demonstrations. The reality of using them in real fight situations was about as close to useless as you could possibly get - this kind of teaching would be funny if it was not so dangerous to those who believe it.

It was not all bad though. As a result of joining the club I started reading around the subject and came across the spiritual aspects and philosophies of the martial way, and it is the spiritual aspects which have given me the greatest benefits over the years.

Along the way, I took Western Boxing and Aikido as my main arts. These two gave me a good grounding from which to investigate other styles. These days I am quite partial to the CMA, especially Taijiquan and the other internal practices. It requires more discipline to heal, and it is 100% more important than winning trophies, gaining belts or learning how to harm.

"The Way of a Warrior is based on humanity, love, and sincerity; the heart of martial valor is true bravery, wisdom, love, and friendship. Emphasis on the physical aspects of warriorship is futile, for the power of the body is always limited." ~ Morihei Ueshiba

Latest Discussions