I am back

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been gone for a bit getting things on track here in DC with my new family. I have started teaching my daughter some martial arts I started her out with Naifanchi Shodan. While watching her and going through movements by myself I have come to learn that how you move will change every outcome of every move although some moves look the same body movement and direction change the final move. A few years ago I took this kata and kept the same hand and foot strikes, but changed directional movement and hip and shoulder rotation. I have refound what I have always known to be true slowing down your katas and changing movements will make any kata limitless. Sorry I ranted like this just have a lot to say with little time

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True insights are seldom empty rants, good sir :tup:.

One of the core tenets of Iai, as an example, is that every move you make changs the situation and requires you to evaluate what your next move will be.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to have you back, plus thanks for sharing a little of what you have been up to. Your insight proves two things, (1) kata is a very personal endeavor, and (2) A kata is not just a bunch of moves slapped together for remembrance sake. A kata IMO is a living, breathing segment of a real self defense situation subject to change at any time. Welcome back.
icon7.gif