1st degree/dan black belt teaching??

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I was testing for my E Dan, we had seminars and demonstrations before the belt ceremony. It was a way to destress after the hours of testing we completed. During this my head instructor comes up to the front to give a little history lesson and began naming every master in order by rank. At the end of it, he mentioned how one of the master's sister (forgive me I can not remember the names) had to postpone her masters to go across seas ( I believe she was a doctor, or trying to be one). She would have been senior to her brother. My instructor said, " Do not judge someone by their rank, because they can be any times your senior."

So really, time is the greatest tell.

Aaron Lawson

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a 20 year old 1st dan black belt with eleven years of experience in okinawan goju ryu a state sparring and kata championship as well as southeast National through the AKA. I studied with my sensei right up until the week I shipped off to basic training. I would never open a school for money however a few of the guys in my unit would like to learn to perform better at combatives. Is there anyone who thinks it would be dishonest of me to teach them what I know?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a 20 year old 1st dan black belt with eleven years of experience in okinawan goju ryu a state sparring and kata championship as well as southeast National through the AKA. I studied with my sensei right up until the week I shipped off to basic training. I would never open a school for money however a few of the guys in my unit would like to learn to perform better at combatives. Is there anyone who thinks it would be dishonest of me to teach them what I know?
Not at all. If you are honest with them about your training history, and they trust you to teach what you know and are on board with it, then how could anyone be upset about that?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Welcome to Martial Talk, Aaron, and thank you for your service.

I think it's great you'll be helping your guys. Stay safe, bro.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I was working out when i saw some karate students coming down from the upstairs part of the gym. When they came down i noticed their teacher was only a 1st degree blackbelt Is this the certified teaching level for karate? I thought to teach any martial arts you have to be a master, or at a teacher level, or 4th degree or whatever. Not a 1st degree. This just seems kind of sketchy...

I know it changes from one martial art to another. But is this normal? I don't know if i have ever seen a 1st degree/dan teaching.

If you are to lazy to read all that, Whats the certified level to teach a karate class? Does it change from one school to another in karate? is a 1st degree

Yes, it is ok. As long as they know more than students and skilled to teach, people can learn.

What to say about arts with different standards for black belt or no belts at all? Belt colour is nearly random. No big deal.

Teaching was mandatory before black belt on my style... In BJJ, many start at brown belt, or even before if needed to match demand.

Random.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, it is ok. As long as they know more than students and skilled to teach, people can learn.

What to say about arts with different standards for black belt or no belts at all? Belt colour is nearly random. No big deal.

Teaching was mandatory before black belt on my style... In BJJ, many start at brown belt, or even before if needed to match demand.

Random.
Lol I think he has his answer nearly 3 years later

Latest Discussions