Article on Krav Maga

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Ivan, Dec 23, 2020.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    You’re deflecting by challenging credentials, rather than simply discussing the topic. He asked a questing. Why not just answer?

2. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

You're getting it mixed it. No one's going to use the guard on you. I agreed with you on that from the beginning. But you might use the guard on someone, and if you do, they may have some idea of the baaics on how to escape guard. If tbey do, you need to know how to keep them there. Which means you need to practice that in class, which involves both people learning how to escape guard for the practice to be useful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

Gotcha. My main point though was revolving around that video I originally posted where they're attempting to teach a systematic approach towards escaping the Guard in a self defense context (it's a bad approach, and the context behind it is dumb in of itself).

However, I completely agree that if you're learning the Guard for self defense, you need to practice dealing with people attempting to escape from the hold.

Looks like we just got our wires crossed. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oni_Kadaki

Oni_Kadaki Green Belt

I concur. As said, my first Aikido Sensei was retired NYPD, and NY sees quite a bit of action. He specifically said that he found Aikido more applicable to the job than a striking style. I'd be curious to know how much Aikido Stanly Stud studied... I've found that it takes awhile for the lesson about breaking down structure and balance, in order to assume control, to really sink in. At least, it did for me!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

Seems like it. I was wondering where the issue was, sometimes these things don't come across right over text. That video you posted was a horrible self defense drill for a couple reasons.

6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

This is my mindset as well. If I get into a fight, I'm more likely to encounter someone who is going to try and run their ground game on me. Which is why I'm always bringing up avoiding or preventing takedowns. I can look at random street fight videos and the ground game will come up often. If they think they can slam you they will try to do that. If they think they can ground and pound, then they will do that. The popularity of MMA has attracted many people to train it, especially BJJ.

My default assumption is that a person will try to take me down BJJ or MMA me. lol. All those fanboys out there

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

You should learn the Guard in case your attempts to prevent the takedown fail. The last place you want to be is on your back not knowing what to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Orange Belt

We started training with this mentality in my system as well a few years back. It makes logical sense, people will attempt to mimic what they see. Also as you said, no telling how many people out there have taken some basic mma classes at their local gym or train with their friends who do.

9. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    And I've seen some Aikido instructors who don't seem to teach that lesson, at all. From what I saw in the classes, folks appear to learn in on their own through repetition. This might be a training flaw engendered by the focus on Aiki, where some folks see any input of strength (even small ones) as not "aiki" enough. That leaves less experienced folks with few tools for breaking structure.

10. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I'll just add that my primary thought of ground game is that I'm not always sure I won't just trip during the encounter. I'm pretty good at takedown defense, but that doesn't help if I trip over a chair I didn't notice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I don't do a lot of ground fight work, but we do work on surviving mount, some basic getting into and protecting in guard, and reversing into mount (or just escaping). Pretty much everything else on the ground is a variation of side control.

12. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I'll also add, to @Hanzou's point, that schools that don't have an experienced ground fighter benefit a lot from occasional seminars on ground fighting, especially if the guest instructor brings a couple of mid-level students to play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. stanly stud

stanly stud Blue Belt

I think i have mate just not going to get into a silly online bitching match with a guy who is waffling about it. too much blah..blah with no substance behind it. Why get into a pointless discussion with a guy who i know has (in my opinion) never been in a ring?

14. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

This is why it's good to spar with schools of different systems.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    There's a problem in that statement.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stanly stud

stanly stud Blue Belt

not really mate, my opinion.123

• Funny Funny x 1