KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Dwarf Armadillos Specs

Head and body length: 260 — 335 mm.
Tail length: 100 — 140 mm.
Weight: Unspecified.

The shell is dark brown with whitish lateral edges, and the tail is yellowish. Posterior edges of the dorsal shell plates are thickly set with fine black hairs, and longer yellowish bristles are interspersed. The underparts are covered with coarse yellowish hairs. The claws on all feet are well-developed. Z. pichiy has small ears. The animal resembles Euphractus, but is more closely related to Chaetophractus.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Naked-tailed armadillos

Head and body length: 300 — 490 mm.
Tail length: 90 — 200 mm.
Weight: Unspecified.

Members of the genus Cabassous are closely related to Priodontes, and resemble P. maximus closely except for size. They possess a dark brown to almost black carapace, with yellowish edges. The underparts are yellow-gray. There are five large claws on forefeet, with the middle claw largest. The snout is short and broad, as is the head. There are 10 to 13 moveable bands across the back. Very few armor plates are present on the tail; those that are there are small, thin, and widely separated. The tail is slender and shorter than the body.

Attachments

• $c_chacoensis.jpg
    $c_chacoensis.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 101
T

TheRustyOne

i want the dwarf armadillo as a pet!

...still want a scorpion, too! ..and a sugar glider...

Attachments

• $i-possum.gif
    $i-possum.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 102
T

TheRustyOne

more sugar gliders *grin*

Attachments

• $i-2heads.gif
    $i-2heads.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 108

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Southern 3 Banded Armadillo

Talk about a compact Animal ~

Head and body length: 218 — 273 mm.
Tail length: 60 — 80 mm.
Weight: 1.00 — 1.59 kg.

Three-banded armadillos are blackish brown in color. Most animals have three moveable bands, although some possess only two, and others may have four. Members of the genus Tolypeutes are the only armadillos that can completely enclose themselves in their own shell by rolling into a ball. The large front and rear portions of the shell are not attached to the skin on the sides, providing ample free space to fit the head, legs and tail into the shell when the animals are rolled up. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes of the hind foot are grown together, almost like a hoof. The 1st and 5th toes remain separate. T. matacus has four toes on the fore foot. The claws on the forefeet are very strong. Three-banded armadillos generally walk on the tips of the foreclaws, even when running. The tail is short and thick. The diploid number of chromosomes is 2n=38, the lowest of any armadillo studied to date — most other armadillos have 2n=50 to 64. (Humans have a diploid chromosome number of 2n=46, for comparison.)

Attachments

• $t_matacus-rolled.jpg
    $t_matacus-rolled.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 103
T

TheRustyOne

..i need that...just so i don't hurt myself anymore :shrug:

E

edhead2000

Originally posted by KenpoTess
The underparts are yellow-gray.

First time I read that I thought it said "underpants" hehe......I was sitting here thinking about armadillos in underpants :)

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, you all need to take a trip somewhere warm and get out of the snow. I thought Delaware ws bad, but at least there are no thonged armadillos.

Latest Discussions