Are "dojo" and "gi" English words at this point?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the e and the o sounds were the only real vowels used in Proto indo European language? There was an a vowel sound? Hmm. Been a minute (more like 30 years) since Iā€™ve read up in it, so likely weā€™ve learned more about it.
There are multiple 'h' sounds, which they claim one of those sounds very similar/was used for the same purpose as the vowel a, and morphed into that vowel. Which doesn't fully make sense to me that they don't just call it an a.

That said, we're talking about a language that was around for thousands of years. People trying to definitively state stuff like it only had these 2 vowels because that's what we found on some hittite excavations (which used either a sister or daughter language), seems like an act in futility to me. It'd be like someone coming about and either A: claiming that germans only have these letters and sounds they use, because they have documentation that's what americans used (if sister language), or B: Same thing but swedish and old norse.

I am far from an expert though - last class I took on it was almost 10 years ago. Just something about the study always seemed odd to me when very specific things are claimed, like 'only 2 vowels'.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You all impress me with your philological discussion. I have heard that the word tempura and the food preparation called tempura both originate from the Portuguese. Can anyone confirm that?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are multiple 'h' sounds, which they claim one of those sounds very similar/was used for the same purpose as the vowel a, and morphed into that vowel. Which doesn't fully make sense to me that they don't just call it an a.

That said, we're talking about a language that was around for thousands of years. People trying to definitively state stuff like it only had these 2 vowels because that's what we found on some hittite excavations (which used either a sister or daughter language), seems like an act in futility to me. It'd be like someone coming about and either A: claiming that germans only have these letters and sounds they use, because they have documentation that's what americans used (if sister language), or B: Same thing but swedish and old norse.

I am far from an expert though - last class I took on it was almost 10 years ago. Just something about the study always seemed odd to me when very specific things are claimed, like 'only 2 vowels'.
You all are my kind of nerds. šŸ˜‚

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You all are my kind of nerds. šŸ˜‚
yep this thread went nerd in a hurry. The only response I really had was that there are words that we use in English that aren't really English words. There are just foreign words that we learn that are incorporated into our English. I was watching something Netflix about the English language and the origin, and it has stuff like this in it.

But this is as far as my knowledge goes. My wife is from the Philippines so I hear a lot of mixing of languages on the daily. The one thing I noticed with language is that the words that don't have an English equivalent are the words that get adopted very quickly. I here more English speaking people say expressions in a foreign language more than ever now..

I like it and actually prefer it. There was a time where it wasn't possible for me to listen to Japanese or Korean shows, but now. I have an endless supply. The more I watch the more it creeps into my own English vocabulary based on History, I'm sure we will continue to incorporate foreign words into the English vocabulary and things will get to a point. Where we begin to think of the word as English.. Hola is one of those words that no longer translates in my mind when I hear it. De Nada. is another phrase that I say without thinking to actually say it.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Japanese use many English words for things they had no words for: Basukettobooru, maaketingu, webudezainu, beddo...They are not written in kanji or the phonetic hiragana alphabet, but a special phonetic alphabet just for foreign words. Interestingly, the names of Okinawan kata also are also written in this katagana in recognition of their non-Japanese origins.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought the e and the o sounds were the only real vowels used in Proto indo European language? There was an a vowel sound? Hmm. Been a minute (more like 30 years) since Iā€™ve read up in it, so likely weā€™ve learned more about it.
It's a subject of great linguistic interest, the "a" vowel.

Still, it implies the same thing in Greek, Latin, English, Sanskrit, when found at the beginning of a word (breathing life).

Babylonian and ancient Hawaiian too. "Va", "ha". "Aaaaah" is the sound of exhalation no matter what your language is.

That's why they're the Aaaaanimaniacs.

Last edited: