Appreciating British Humor

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Divorce is not really a funny subject but those chaps over the other side of the pond do know how to twist it around to make it funny.
I GOT the joke but just thought it was just plain mean (while laughing the whole time)... :rolleyes:

[yt]1cjf_u_Q-ho[/yt]

What are your favorite British funny bits? Post 'em here.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was awful, but really funny! Thanks, Mac!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is my favourite ever sketch from Smack The Pony.. I just love Sally Phillips.. PLEASE watch this it is SOOO funny.. :D

Oooh, and check Russell Brand..
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're gonna have to spell it 'humour' you know lol!
A lot of our humour is much crueler than American I think, it tends to be much darker. I'm not sure how much carries over as a lot of our comedy shows tend to get remade and repackaged for the American market.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my favourite ever sketch from Smack The Pony.. I just love Sally Phillips.. PLEASE watch this it is SOOO funny.. :D

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

This one is funny, it stems from the fact that English ie well brought up middle class people don't make scenes in public regardless of what is happening, one must always behave with decorum lol!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lfao::lfao::lfao:

Those are so flippin funny! It is 6am and I am NOT a morning person, yet here I am LMAO!!!! Thanks! :D

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
No discussion on British humour is complete with out mentioning The Benny Hill Show . cue fast music and Benny chasing women in skimpy clothing.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Aye, I recall that sketch well, especially because I didn't actually see the punch-line coming :tup:.

However, as to Russell Brand ...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last Comic Standing had a british comedian with a violin. Truly hillarious!
icon14.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No discussion on British humour is complete with out mentioning The Benny Hill Show . cue fast music and Benny chasing women in skimpy clothing.

Benny Hill was always more popular with men rather than women lol! We never quite appreciated his sense of humour. For really British humour you should try Les Dawson,The Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise also programmes like Only Fools and Horses, Allo Allo and Last of the Summer Wine, the last is a gentle sort of humour. To the Manor Born is a comedy of British attitudes as is The Good Life.
Of course Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister! The Young Ones, Fry and Laurie ( yep the same Laurie from House!) Victoria Wood in Dinner Ladies as well as her own shows. French and Saunders, also in Ab Fab. The Royle Family, the Blackadder series, The Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers, Men Behaving Badly. A few to go on with lol!

lemon_meringue

Green Belt
Reaction score
Benny Hill was always more popular with men rather than women lol! We never quite appreciated his sense of humour. For really British humour you should try Les Dawson,The Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise also programmes like Only Fools and Horses, Allo Allo and Last of the Summer Wine, the last is a gentle sort of humour. To the Manor Born is a comedy of British attitudes as is The Good Life.
Of course Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister! The Young Ones, Fry and Laurie ( yep the same Laurie from House!) Victoria Wood in Dinner Ladies as well as her own shows. French and Saunders, also in Ab Fab. The Royle Family, the Blackadder series, The Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers, Men Behaving Badly. A few to go on with lol!

Blackadder is genius. I remember when my old history teacher couldn't be bothered to teach, he'd stick in one of his Blackadder tapes for an hour and swear we were learning :D He always tailored the episode to the era we were studying too!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So we can all agree that win it comes to the sitcom making game, the British won?

As for American remakes of British shows, anyone see the US Red Dwarf pilot? Yikes :eek:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackadder is genius. I remember when my old history teacher couldn't be bothered to teach, he'd stick in one of his Blackadder tapes for an hour and swear we were learning :D He always tailored the episode to the era we were studying too!

I remember when the Blackadder set in the First World War had the last programme, I was truly shocked. the last episode finished in November close to Remembrance Sunday, the series as always had been very funny. Edmund and Baldrick were in the trenches, with the usual lines "I've got a cunning plan" etc and the order came through that they were 'going over the top'. You thought somehow that surely Blackadder and Baldrick would get out of it somehow as they were all doomed to be killed if they didn't but it was a comedy programme so they'd be alright. But they weren't, they all went bravely over the top to what they knew was certain death. The programme finished in silence, no music just the sight of the trenches. It was extremely moving in a way that factual programmes aren't always. It brought tears to my eyes, still does.

Latest Discussions