Anyone ever train with or know of this instructor?

OldGhost

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello been about ten years since I have been back to the forums or really attended any with instructor training. I want to get back into training I come from a Parkers Kenpo background. I was a green belt when I left, still remember a lot of the material. Long story short not really wanting to return to my old school. And no other Kenpo school close by. So I'm limited by what's close to me 25 or so miles range. I found a Win Chun school pretty close to be honest I know very little of this style other than what I have seen on you tube. Best I can tell I could really get into the system need to visit the school I am posting about. Here is a link to the instructor, Wing Chun Dallas. Wondering if anyone has trained with? Or knows anything about the school? I know this place is a huge wealth of knowledge. So thanks in advance everyone.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, don't know him. I do know this guy in Dallas (check him out): Dallas Wing Chun Academy | Sifu Jim Gillentine

BTW on the site you asked about, I noticed that they had a number of pictures of pairs of students training chi-sau, and they were all wearing some kind of arm cover or protection. I've never heard of that before. I can't imagine how it would be helpful. Did anybody else notice that?

Tiger84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello been about ten years since I have been back to the forums or really attended any with instructor training. I want to get back into training I come from a Parkers Kenpo background. I was a green belt when I left, still remember a lot of the material. Long story short not really wanting to return to my old school. And no other Kenpo school close by. So I'm limited by what's close to me 25 or so miles range. I found a Win Chun school pretty close to be honest I know very little of this style other than what I have seen on you tube. Best I can tell I could really get into the system need to visit the school I am posting about. Here is a link to the instructor, Wing Chun Dallas. Wondering if anyone has trained with? Or knows anything about the school? I know this place is a huge wealth of knowledge. So thanks in advance everyone.
There are Kenpo schools in Dallas Tx, the queso grande himself lives in Austin Tx. Mr. Lee Wedlake is excellent.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have heard the name before but don't know him nor know about his instructional skills.
Sorry, don't know him. I do know this guy in Dallas (check him out): Dallas Wing Chun Academy | Sifu Jim Gillentine
Have hear this name also but again I don't know of his skills personally though I have hear some good remarks.
BTW on the site you asked about, I noticed that they had a number of pictures of pairs of students training chi-sau, and they were all wearing some kind of arm cover or protection. I've never heard of that before. I can't imagine how it would be helpful. Did anybody else notice that?
One of the first things I noticed. I think these compression sleeves would prevent tempering of the forearms as well as making a good attachment to the training partners skin impossible.

OP
OldGhost

OldGhost

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll for the replies I knew this is the place to ask, I know of Mr. Wedlake but Austin is about 200 miles from my house. Also Mr, Fowlers school located in Irving is a little to far away also. I also looked at Dallas Wing Chun Academy, looks like a very nice school and the instructor has impressive training history. The problem I run into I'm on a budget, after paying around $100 + a month for training I need to find a school pretty close to me. Since I live in Forney about 25 miles SE of Dallas I'm on wrong side of Dallas it seems. Most schools are in North Dallas, Irving, Arlington or Ft. Worth. I do have several schools in Forney but really not interested in the style taught. One just really seemed shady so I just passed on a free class.

It's late and 5 am will be here way too soon, I have some other questions but as slow as I type will post tomorrow. Again thanks everyone for the good info.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what is the distance you would consider commuting for training? Actually, I think this is probably a good topic for it's own thread. It's been discussed before but not from the standpoint of the typical student selecting a school.

OP
OldGhost

OldGhost

White Belt
Reaction score
Well it's really not so much just the mileage, that does come into play but getting from one side of Dallas to the other can be a real pain traffic wise. 20 mile trip that should take 20-25 min on say 635 the main loop around Dallas will take an hour sometimes. I work down town Dallas its 25 miles from my house but I get off work at 3pm I can make it home in 25 min. But same trip at 5-6-6:30 will take an hour or more.

Seeing as I would like to attend class twice a week and maybe most Saturdays, the miles do add up. And after working all day, a 45 min drive to the school, 1-3 hours training, 45 min ride home several days a week it will drain a person.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't imagine how it would be helpful. Did anybody else notice that?

Never seen that before; but I wonder if they view it from a hygiene concern(?).
Or, perhaps it is a "chi-containment" device? :D

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll for the replies I knew this is the place to ask, I know of Mr. Wedlake but Austin is about 200 miles from my house. Also Mr, Fowlers school located in Irving is a little to far away also. I also looked at Dallas Wing Chun Academy, looks like a very nice school and the instructor has impressive training history. The problem I run into I'm on a budget, after paying around $100 + a month for training I need to find a school pretty close to me. Since I live in Forney about 25 miles SE of Dallas I'm on wrong side of Dallas it seems. Most schools are in North Dallas, Irving, Arlington or Ft. Worth. I do have several schools in Forney but really not interested in the style taught. One just really seemed shady so I just passed on a free class.

It's late and 5 am will be here way too soon, I have some other questions but as slow as I type will post tomorrow. Again thanks everyone for the good info.

Suggestion: Move or find a way to travel to the school you wish to train at.

I would humbly suggest that it is better to not train at all than to train at a substandard facility because it is closer, cheaper, or more convenient. A workman who lives on a budget nevertheless spends money on the best work shoes. Why? His living depends on being able to get around on his feet. A martial artist should not consider cost or convenience over superior training.

OP
OldGhost

OldGhost

White Belt
Reaction score
Suggestion: Move or find a way to travel to the school you wish to train at.

I would humbly suggest that it is better to not train at all than to train at a substandard facility because it is closer, cheaper, or more convenient. A workman who lives on a budget nevertheless spends money on the best work shoes. Why? His living depends on being able to get around on his feet. A martial artist should not consider cost or convenience over superior training.

True to a point at age 19 I was single, no kids and a job that was easy to replace and uproot to a new location. My decisions only really affected me to any real degree so it would be realistic to follow the advice given above.

But fast forward to age 42, a wife two daughters, mortgage, and a decent job, now my needs and desires take a back seat to my kiddo's and my wife. That's just reality so rather than not stay in any kind of shape or train in any form I will find a school/style that might not be my first choice and give it 100% until the situation changes.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True to a point at age 19 I was single, no kids and a job that was easy to replace and uproot to a new location. My decisions only really affected me to any real degree so it would be realistic to follow the advice given above.

But fast forward to age 42, a wife two daughters, mortgage, and a decent job, now my needs and desires take a back seat to my kiddo's and my wife. That's just reality so rather than not stay in any kind of shape or train in any form I will find a school/style that might not be my first choice and give it 100% until the situation changes.

I'm 54, married, and I have to drive 40 minutes to get to my dojo three nights a week. There are plenty of closer dojos. And they suck. I'd prefer not to suck; not sure why I'd be training otherwise.

Things either are or are not important to you. If martial arts training is not worth the additional hassle, expense, and so on, I totally get that. We all make decisions like that every day. I was offered a position as a sound guy for a local band that is doing rather well, and it sucked to say no, but I my reasons were just like yours. However, becoming part of a rich and famous band was less important to me than keeping my day job, staying where I currently live, etc. Martial arts training? If my employer transferred me so I could not attend my dojo, I'd quit. That's the decision I have made about how important my martial arts training is to me.

I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to place the same importance on martial arts training that I do. My advice is predicated on how I would react, that's all.

I wish you the best of luck with your circumstances and your decisions, in all sincerity.