A little blurb on WC politics

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is just something I've been thinking about recently and figured I'd share it with y'all.

If you practice TKD and meet a fellow TKD practitioner from another school, chances are that you've found a friend. If you practice WC and meet a fellow WC practitioner, chances are that you've found an enemy. My teacher went to a few other WC schools to train with them, and what tended to happen was that the teacher and classmates were very rude and condescending. One even accused him of being a "spy" from another school and kicked him out when he showed them his wooden dummy form. I know for myself that if I meet another WC guy and he's trained wherever he's at for long enough, I tend to sense a bit of tension.

People like to blame this on WC's lack of standardization, but I find this theory to be flawed because most people are generally able to accept that, in all hobbies, whether it be martial arts, music, painting, etc, "right" and "wrong" are generally shades of gray rather than being absolutes. I think that the root of WC's problems lies not in who is teaching WC and how they are teaching it, but rather in who WC is being taught to.

I've found that at the root of a lot of WC controversies, the core of the issue isn't necessarily people that makes absurd claims or trains in a way a few might disagree with, but people who seem to have very hard-headed and aggressive personalities, and the reason for that may be that WC's close-quarters "dirty" nature tend to attract these kinds of people. I think that in order for WC to evolve harmoniously, instructors of future generations must first analyze their students' individual characters and personalities, and then make the decision of whether or not to train them based on that.

Perhaps we can also stop trying to advertise WC as "deadly" or "aggressive" whether or not it actually is so.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is just something I've been thinking about recently and figured I'd share it with y'all.

If you practice TKD and meet a fellow TKD practitioner from another school, chances are that you've found a friend. If you practice WC and meet a fellow WC practitioner, chances are that you've found an enemy. My teacher went to a few other WC schools to train with them, and what tended to happen was that the teacher and classmates were very rude and condescending. One even accused him of being a "spy" from another school and kicked him out when he showed them his wooden dummy form. I know for myself that if I meet another WC guy and he's trained wherever he's at for long enough, I tend to sense a bit of tension.

People like to blame this on WC's lack of standardization, but I find this theory to be flawed because most people are generally able to accept that, in all hobbies, whether it be martial arts, music, painting, etc, "right" and "wrong" are generally shades of gray rather than being absolutes. I think that the root of WC's problems lies not in who is teaching WC and how they are teaching it, but rather in who WC is being taught to.

I've found that at the root of a lot of WC controversies, the core of the issue isn't necessarily people that makes absurd claims or trains in a way a few might disagree with, but people who seem to have very hard-headed and aggressive personalities, and the reason for that may be that WC's close-quarters "dirty" nature tend to attract these kinds of people. I think that in order for WC to evolve harmoniously, instructors of future generations must first analyze their students' individual characters and personalities, and then make the decision of whether or not to train them based on that.

Perhaps we can also stop trying to advertise WC as "deadly" or "aggressive" whether or not it actually is so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really don't worry about what others do. Wing chun world is not a community. There are all sorts of people doing wing chun. Some friendly others are not.

Last edited:

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would love to run into someone in everyday life who also does WC! I'd actually be interested in how they might do things differently. Some friendly chi-sau would be a great tactile exercise I would hope even different lineages could engage in.

Some of the tension might come from outsiders coming to an established school, and for good reason if their intentions go beyond simply wanting to be a part of the school and train. My Sifu has been asked to give private instruction to people in other towns in the past, and is now wary of it because on more than one occasion people trained just long enough to take what he has taught them and then declare themselves ready to go teach others (and they weren't). He doesn't want his name associated with that.

I think competitiveness can exist in any art, it just depends on the person. One TKD guy could look down on another from a different organization that expresses their TKD more sport / tournament style for example. BJJ guys often qualify their BJJ by who their school or teacher is associated with, Gracie family or not, because that matters to them.

Anuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We have had students from other schools and lineages come to our school and immediately integrate into class. I only ever met one random stranger who also did WC, but I was way too green to chi sau with him.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's harder to let your guard down and be friendly it you are teaching. People feel like they've got a reputation at stake. When I first came back into WC after a very long absence, I really enjoyed just being a student again. Then, after a couple of years my Si-dei and training partner had to relocate for his career, so I had to take over his class and put on the instructor hat again. Now I'm supposed to be maintaining the image of my lineage in AZ. So if I ever get around to looking up JP, Joy and a few others to do Chi-Sau, I'm not supposed to look bad, and give people the opportunity to say bad things about me.

The problem is 1. I'm not all that great... and 2. I don't really care how I "look".

Really, I'd rather make some new friends, have a good time, and learn something. Weird huh? ;)

Pat M

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Firstly my perspective is that behaviour towards others is based on respect, I can understand people being guarded however respect should remain and if it is mutual we can all get along. Having started from scratch on more than a few occasions in MA schools I guess pouring every drop out of that cup has become second nature to me however it is not that hard, is it?

Secondarily we have been blessed in WC with a vehicle with which to share and grow with other practitioners of WC, yes yes oh but this lineage does work with that lineage to play Chi Sau well I disagree. Chi Sau is like music it can be enjoyed anywhere with anyone, it's an international language, get on board.

In 2013 I was in Foshan to attend GM Ip Chun's 90th birthday with a group I no longer have involvement with and we randomly meet a shopkeeper on Zumiao Road downtown Foshan, he noted the WC characters on our shirts and within 5 min we were playing Chi Sau on the street (11.30pm), followed by him bringing students to the roof of our hotel the next day then to be taken to his school 40 min drive away the following night. The language barrier was great however Chi Sau cut through all of that. Please note that they way they played was different, however you don't grow if you don't experience different things, with mutual respect we can all play together.

Sifu Liangjia Peng and myself at his Kwoon

LeungPeng.jpg

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the basic rules still apply:

Rule #1: Don't be a d!ck
Rule #2: Don't chi sao with anyone who is a d!ck

I've touched hands with probably 40 people outside my school, some were better than me, others not. Don't need to be going around telling everybody what I thought of so-and-so, what business is it of anyone else's anyways?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the basic rules still apply:

Rule #1: Don't be a d!ck
Rule #2: Don't chi sao with anyone who is a d!ck

Good rules to live by! Is that in the Bible? If not, maybe I've got the wrong translation.