Anybody know if this school is legit?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was probably unclear. I was referring to the method, not the location. Regardless of where, I want to learn Shaolin Kung Fu. Is there another "style" or another way of learning Kung Fu? Are there those who learn Kung Fu that isn't Shaolin oriented? If so, are there better methods or styles of Kung Fu?

Tell what...study these and get back to me and then you can answer that question yourself,

Not all Chinese martial arts come from or for that matter have anything to do with Shaolin.

Word of advice, since you do not seem to be going on anything but something akin to hero worship based on a Shaolin that no longer exists.....stay in the USA and look for a good Shaolin school

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Or, to put it another way, just to get an idea where you're coming from ... what martial art(s) are you practicing now? For how long? How far along are you?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wonder ... if Shaolin has been watered down, would it be possible to take a solid style that came from Shaolin and reverse-engineer it back to Shaolin? :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wonder ... if Shaolin has been watered down, would it be possible to take a solid style that came from Shaolin and reverse-engineer it back to Shaolin? :D

Actually there is a guy in China that has to some extent and is still working on it, but he is not a monk, and I believe the monk now in Canada was trying to as well. I use to have the webpage of the non-monk guy but I lost it a couple of PC upgrades ago.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was probably unclear. I was referring to the method, not the location. Regardless of where, I want to learn Shaolin Kung Fu. Is there another "style" or another way of learning Kung Fu? Are there those who learn Kung Fu that isn't Shaolin oriented? If so, are there better methods or styles of Kung Fu?

Without a doubt, San Soo. No question about it. Can not be disputed.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the three main points that you need to consider are:

1) "Kung fu" is an all encompassing term that people apply to all Chinese Martial Arts. There are many, many, many different styles of "Kung Fu." Some of the most well known that you might be able to find outside of China are Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, and Wing Chun, along with internal arts like Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, and Baguaquan.

2) There is also modern "Wushu", which has nothing to do with traditional arts and is not about fighting.

3) Shaolin no longer teaches traditional Chinese Martial Arts, or "Kung fu," they teach modern Wushu, which is just for show and entertainment. They also teach Sanda, or sportive kick-boxing.

My advice? Do some heavy research on Chinese Martial Arts. Educate yourself about all of the different styles, find out which, if any, really appeal to you, and then seek out a good teacher in that style. But since you haven't done that on your own, I think that most here doubt the sincerity of your interest in Chinese Martial Arts. Make sure that you don't just like the idea of learning CMA in general, but rather that you really want to put in the study, time, and practice required to do so, and that you actually know what it is you would be learning.

In any case, best of luck to you.

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
1) "Kung fu" is an all encompassing term that people apply to all Chinese Martial Arts. There are many, many, many different styles of "Kung Fu." Some of the most well known that you might be able to find outside of China are Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, and Wing Chun, along with internal arts like Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, and Baguaquan.

2) There is also modern "Wushu", which has nothing to do with traditional arts and is not about fighting.

I already know all that.

Shaolin no longer teaches traditional Chinese Martial Arts, or "Kung fu," they teach modern Wushu, which is just for show and entertainment. They also teach Sanda, or sportive kick-boxing.

I know what Sanda/Sanshou is. I spoke to the temple. Asked them about their current curriculum. They told me that traditional Chinese methods are still taught. Chin Na, Tanglangquan, Hou Quan, Xiao Hong Quan etc.

A recent student turned monk, an indian named Kanishka Sharma (forgot his monk name), teaches self defense and various incapacitation techniques to army forces, so I think there are still those in Shaolin who learn actual combat.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They teach Sanshou to military in China, not the sanshou you see in the ring, but it is still a standardized version of Military Sanshou... they do not teach any thing "Shaolin" to the military in China. However there are those that go to shaolin in hopes to be able to get into the military. So, if this "monk" is teaching military forces, it is not in China. And how long was thie "Monk" at the temple?

Let me ask this again....when you talked with this monk...was in in a Chinese dialect or English? Also did you call him on the phone or was this e-mail/texting, or did you go to China to talk to him?

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
they do not teach any thing "Shaolin" to the military in China. However there are those that go to shaolin in hopes to be able to get into the military. So, if this "monk" is teaching military forces, it is not in China.

I didn't mean that he's teaching in China. He was in Shaolin a few years, practiced and lived with them, got the monk name and went back to India to teach.

Let me ask this again....when you talked with this monk...was in in a Chinese dialect or English?

It wasn't actually me who did the talking. I know a teacher in Beijing who teaches Mandarin to foreigners. I asked her to call. She reported back to me what they said.

Shi Yan Du is the Indian's monk name.

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okie dokie.... nuff said.... if you go...enjoy spending your money

I don't have 10 grand a year. I wonder what would happen if I told them I would teach English to the children there in exchange. It's been done before.

Anyway, I have now located Shaolin warrior monks teaching in New York, Texas and California. Outside the U.S I found monks in Italy, Canada and India.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have 10 grand a year. I wonder what would happen if I told them I would teach English to the children there in exchange. It's been done before.
From the website:
Many interested students send Mr. Che e-mail messages asking if they can come to China and work at the academy or nearby to pay for their training or for discounts, or ask for training or instructional videos for free. There is NO employment for foreign students (because the chinese government does not allow it), and there is absolutely NO financial assistance available from the academy for any students, and there are NO discounts, free lessons or free instructional videos, regardless of the student's country of origin or financial condition.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow know plenty of people teaching English in guangzhou and they are Americans.
You can look online for agency. Most required a bachelor. I know
One school took someone who did not have a bachelor and told the parents
That they had a bachelor degree. So in some cases the school might hire you
With out one.

mysurvive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
honestly 10k for housing for a year is cheap. I wish it was that cheap where I live :p.

Why did you ask if there is any other type of kung fu other than shaolin, and then when it was explained you said that you knew those styles were kung fu?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This school sounds more interested in money then anything.
Not to say its not legit well as legit as xaolin can be these days.
You can most likely find better quality instruction for way less with out
Having to change your b.s. detectors batteries.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thats 10k a year usd compared to chinese rmb its really expensive.
Think 1usd to every 6 rmb average.

mysurvive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thats 10k a year usd compared to chinese rmb its really expensive.
Think 1usd to every 6 rmb average.

10k usd is 10k usd even if you convert it. Yeah it may seem like tons to them, but it's still 10k to us. I still wish my rent was that cheap :p

Latest Discussions