Anybody know if this school is legit?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From the website:

Well, if they were to apply for the proper visa ad do all the paper work and..... they most certainly are not going to do that.... that would cost them money

Wow know plenty of people teaching English in guangzhou and they are Americans.
You can look online for agency. Most required a bachelor. I know
One school took someone who did not have a bachelor and told the parents
That they had a bachelor degree. So in some cases the school might hire you
With out one.

It is not as easy as it use to be and it takes the proper visa and someone on the China side of things willing to go through that process

This school sounds more interested in money then anything.
Not to say its not legit well as legit as xaolin can be these days.
You can most likely find better quality instruction for way less with out
Having to change your b.s. detectors batteries.

BINGO!!!!!

It is exactly as legit as just about any other Shaolin school in China, you got the cash and you can go.

And there are more "realistic" teachers all over China that are not Shaolin that are interested in foreign $$$ to varying degrees. But you "NEED" to speak the language to go to them.

In all honesty if someone wants to go learn shaolin wushu at shaolin these days they are far better off looking to a physical education university in one of the major cities. They are getting paid too but the living conditions are likely better, the training is more serious and when you are done you have a better credential IMO.

There is a guy near me that is from the one in Beijing and he is absolutely amazing and his Sanda is damn impressive. If I were 20 to 30 years younger I would be going there all the time

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If it were me ... I would:
1) find a half-decent CMA teacher in my hometown who knows people in China
2) spend a few years (at least) developing basic CMA skills, learning Mandarin (or Cantonese, of course) and Chinese culture; and showing interest in Chinese culture to my teacher (building connections in the community)
3) save my money
4) take a trip to China (2 weeks) visiting contacts recommended to me by my teacher (to test the waters, make new contacts and see how well I cope in the environment)
5) return stateside with a new perspective to refine my skills, maintain Chinese contacts, make plans, gain credentials, make applications
6) return to China for six months using contacts & arrangements made
7) revisit plans. Stay? Return home?

In this plan, you make contacts, grow your cross-cultural social skills, and most importantly, develop enough martial skills to be able to tell good martial arts from bad and hopefully have something to show your Chinese hosts (willingness to learn isn't enough; they need to see proof of dedication shown over the long term).

An indication of long-term commitment to the art (shown by level of skill) would separate you from the stereotypical westerner.
And get referrals. Those are a big deal anywhere.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1) find a half-decent CMA teacher in my hometown who knows people in China
2) spend a few years (at least) developing basic CMA skills, learning Mandarin (or Cantonese, of course) and Chinese culture; and showing interest in Chinese culture to my teacher (building connections in the community)
3) save my money
4) take a trip to China (2 weeks) visiting contacts recommended to me by my teacher (to test the waters, make new contacts and see how well I cope in the environment)
5) return stateside with a new perspective to refine my skills, maintain Chinese contacts, make plans, gain credentials, make applications
6) return to China for six months using contacts & arrangements made
7) revisit plans. Stay? Return home?

In this plan, you make contacts, grow your cross-cultural social skills, and most importantly, develop enough martial skills to be able to tell good martial arts from bad and hopefully have something to show your Chinese hosts (willingness to learn isn't enough; they need to see proof of dedication shown over the long term).

An indication of long-term commitment to the art (shown by level of skill) would separate you from the stereotypical westerner.
And get referrals. Those are a big deal anywhere.

This is really, really good advice.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have 10 grand a year. I wonder what would happen if I told them I would teach English to the children there in exchange. It's been done before.

Anyway, I have now located Shaolin warrior monks teaching in New York, Texas and California. Outside the U.S I found monks in Italy, Canada and India.

How do you imagine that you can teach English to Chinese people when you don't speak Chinese?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

And I want to add; Protect that contact from EVERYBODY.... do not try and help anybody out you are not 100% sure of or it could REALLY mess up that contact.

I learned that one the hard way trying to help someone out.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And I want to add; Protect that contact from EVERYBODY.... do not try and help anybody out you are not 100% sure of or it could REALLY mess up that contact.

I learned that one the hard way trying to help someone out.

As in, be careful who you refer or introduce to your contact, because that person will be perceived as a reflection on you? Or do you mean something else?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I forgot that mr. President said a woman spoke to the xiaolin guy.
The real question should be is that woman cute and how can we be sure her cutness is legit?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As in, be careful who you refer or introduce to your contact, because that person will be perceived as a reflection on you? Or do you mean something else?

Yup, and if your contact goes out of thier way and takes time to find things out for the reference and the reference does not go through with anything....well...nuff said

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was probably unclear. I was referring to the method, not the location. Regardless of where, I want to learn Shaolin Kung Fu. Is there another "style" or another way of learning Kung Fu? Are there those who learn Kung Fu that isn't Shaolin oriented? If so, are there better methods or styles of Kung Fu?

From the little I know. Shaolin Kung Fu, Northern and southern styles have a pretty complete package.

Not just the physical aspects of it, but the actual energetic. The chi, Tai chi chuan, is an essential part of it.

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No Chinese students live "at the temple". They live near & around, but not there. Hell even the abbot doesn't live there. He's got a spot not far from the Temple with his wife & kid(s??) & commutes everyday in his bullet proof Abbot-mobile Benz.

Neih sihk ng sihk teng-ah?

Why stop there?
The abbot also has a place with his mistress, who he sometimes engages in aleister crowley sex acts, when he has free time from running with the chinese triad.

Anybody can make stuff up.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why stop there?
The abbot also has a place with his mistress, who he sometimes engages in aleister crowley sex acts, when he has free time from running with the chinese triad.

Anybody can make stuff up.

He might with #1 since he's central party... might with #2 just because... probably with #3 but that's a different story althogether.

Your point?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From the little I know. Shaolin Kung Fu, Northern and southern styles have a pretty complete package.

Not just the physical aspects of it, but the actual energetic. The chi, Tai chi chuan, is an essential part of it.

I don't think the Chi of Tai Chi Chuan is what you think it is.

Chi...or in Pinyin Qi is 气 which is basically energy

Tai Chi Chuan... or in pinyin Taijiquan is 太极拳 which is supreme ultimate fist

and 气 does not equal 太极拳

And even if you go with the Wade Giles, which is where the spelling Tai Chi Chuan comes from it is actually
T'ai chi ch'uan and if you go with the Wade Giles spelling again where Chi comes form it is ch'i and again not the same

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What do I think it is?

I know I wrote, but the actual energetic. The chi,

I didn't say what I thought Tai chi chuan was.

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
He might with #1 since he's central party... might with #2 just because... probably with #3 but that's a different story althogether.

Your point?

That anybody can make stuff up.

But I am more than happy to assume that he is a divine being, like an Abbot should be, whatever Abbot of whatever monastery we are not talking about.

The funny thing is, in the history, triad secret groups started with 5 monks, 5 elders, which have nothing to do with the triad criminal gangs of the past century, but they are linked in a historical perspective.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What do I think it is?

I know I wrote, but the actual energetic. The chi,

I didn't say what I thought Tai chi chuan was.

Never asked what you thought it was, you used Chi and then Tai Chi Chuan and they way it was written I apparently miss understood what where saying. I thought you were saying taking "Chi" out of Tai "Chi" Chuan and making the statement that the "Chi" in Tai Chi Chuan stood for "Qi"

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That anybody can make stuff up.

That's funny.

But I am more than happy to assume that he is a divine being, like an Abbot should be, whatever Abbot of whatever monastery we are not talking about.

Yeah... ok...

The funny thing is, in the history, triad secret groups started with 5 monks, 5 elders, which have nothing to do with the triad criminal gangs of the past century, but they are linked in a historical perspective.

There so much more to it than that it's not funny. And yes, I know exactly what I'm talking about concerning it.

Last edited:

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Never asked what you thought it was, you used Chi and then Tai Chi Chuan and they way it was written I apparently miss understood what where saying. I thought you were saying taking "Chi" out of Tai "Chi" Chuan and making the statement that the "Chi" in Tai Chi Chuan stood for "Qi"

I thought you thought that, but wanted to make sure.

I am familiar with what is called chi, and have been even before I knew it as a concept and was able to talk about it.

I am just learning Tai chi chuan.

Latest Discussions