Any point doing the splits?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am guessing from your post what I said challenges what you do in practice and the best way for you to respond is to ask me if I read ALL the reports before quoting them.

Interesting...........
Well less so, more so what you said is WRONG, now its just a question of if you read the reports, any of them and miss undrrstood or Just made the whole thing up yourself

So what happen to you Bad, if you static stre h BEFORE exercise?

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well less so, more so what you said is WRONG, now its just a question of if you read the reports, any of them and miss undrrstood or Just made the whole thing up yourself

So what happen to you Bad, if you static stre h BEFORE exercise?
You are free to believe what you like. I am sure that whatever you do works well for you.

The reports are out there as I have said and seemingly others in this forum were able to find to help them form their opinion. If you are really interested feel free to have a look.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the messages and the awesome videos!

Can someone explain this? Just incase I don't get the wrong idea.
Your muscles react differently to static stretching (held positions) and dynamic stretching (movement that takes you into the "stretching" range of the muscle/tendons). Dynamic flexibility is more important. I can't touch my toes when standing straight-legged, but can readily kick above my own chin height, even without a warm-up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what do these reports say happens to you if you do static streach before excersise ? Im assuming yiuve read them all, before quoting them ? or even one if them , ? No !
The ones I've read say there's a period of relative muscle inflexibility following static stretch. It's apparently a limited time (10-12 minutes, if memory serves), but since many folks go from warm-up to harder exercise (including kicks), they can increase their chances of pulling a muscle during that time.

Someone with more extensive information may be able to further clarify or correct.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, go to 1:23 here and watch:

or a bit older, to the shoulder for this demo, but I believe he could have hit head if he wanted.

See the photo on page 6 here: http://www.icspert.com/onewebmedia/EBooks/BlackBelt/Guides/Bill-Superfoot-Wallace-Guide.pdf
Ok well, the point of Kungfu Wang is that high kicks that go up to the side, primarily side kicks, roundhouse kicks, and hook kicks, tend to degrade the hips over time. The higher you throw these kicks, and the more of them you do over time, the more likely you are to have hip problems as you age.

Sure, he made a statement for which you can probably find an example to the exception. That’s not surprising.

But his point is still valid and I would not look to the exception as justification to believe it will not happen to you if you engage in the activity. Meaning, if you throw a lot of high side kicks, roundhouse kicks, and hook kicks in your life, when you get older there is a chance that you will have hip problems, possibly even need replacement(s). That possibility is real, even if Bill Wallace can still throw a high one as he gets older.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the messages and the awesome videos!

Can someone explain this? Just incase I don't get the wrong idea.
Dynamic simply said means moving warmups. Walking when taking a long stride would be an example of a dynamic stretch.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok well, the point of Kungfu Wang is that high kicks that go up to the side, primarily side kicks, roundhouse kicks, and hook kicks, tend to degrade the hips over time. The higher you throw these kicks, and the more of them you do over time, the more likely you are to have hip problems as you age.

Sure, he made a statement for which you can probably find an example to the exception. That’s not surprising.

But his point is still valid and I would not look to the exception as justification to believe it will not happen to you if you engage in the activity. Meaning, if you throw a lot of high side kicks, roundhouse kicks, and hook kicks in your life, when you get older there is a chance that you will have hip problems, possibly even need replacement(s). That possibility is real, even if Bill Wallace can still throw a high one as he gets older.
I’m not sure I am in this camp. I think technique used has a lot to do with whether the hips degrade as a function of usage of these kicks.

I have no hard evidence of to support this but anecdotally I have seen and heard how using proper kicking technique from a body mechanics perspective can alleviate the stress on the joints. I certainly am conscious about it in my own training as there are tons of examples of guys who suffer from years of kicking without this consideration.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m not sure I am in this camp. I think technique used has a lot to do with whether the hips degrade as a function of usage of these kicks.

I have no hard evidence of to support this but anecdotally I have seen and heard how using proper kicking technique from a body mechanics perspective can alleviate the stress on the joints. I certainly am conscious about it in my own training as there are tons of examples of guys who suffer from years of kicking without this consideration.
Of course consistently better technique should lessen the damage and may prolong the good years.

I am a believer tho, that the hips are not well designed for extreme sideways movement. Non—extreme may be just fine, and where the divider line lies may differ from person to person. But in the main, I believe it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are free to believe what you like. I am sure that whatever you do works well for you.

The reports are out there as I have said and seemingly others in this forum were able to find to help them form their opinion. If you are really interested feel free to have a look.
I have, which is how i know your wrong

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your muscles react differently to static stretching (held positions) and dynamic stretching (movement that takes you into the "stretching" range of the muscle/tendons). Dynamic flexibility is more important. I can't touch my toes when standing straight-legged, but can readily kick above my own chin height, even without a warm-up.

The ones I've read say there's a period of relative muscle inflexibility following static stretch. It's apparently a limited time (10-12 minutes, if memory serves), but since many folks go from warm-up to harder exercise (including kicks), they can increase their chances of pulling a muscle during that time.

Someone with more extensive information may be able to further clarify or correct.

When I lead stretching in TKD, I've found that it generally works best if we start off with some rotational motions (i.e. twist body side to side, arm circles, ankle rotation), then static stretch, and before stretching is over again work out the kinks from stretching by doing knee and hip rotations. We typically do a cool-down stretch from one to the next (i.e. butterflies after splits) and we do jumping jacks between stretching and practice. We also do jumping jacks after periods where one group has been sitting down, to get the blood flowing again.

One of the other black belts will typically do stretch kicks between static stretching and class.

I am of the opinion that both static and dynamic stretching is important. Static stretch helps with control and balance.

Latest Discussions