Any point doing the splits?

Styles316

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi

I've been trying to do the splits on and off for some time now I know it helps your flexibility. Does anyone know the best and fastest way to do the splits? Also, how does it help you in your training? As in can you kick higher, prevent any injuries? etc.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It looks cool.

Dynamic movement is more important. Actually do the movements you are wanting to the stretch for.

If you are going to do static splits get your muscles well warmed up. Best time for static stretching is 'after' your workout. Don't over stretch. Get to the point you feel the tension in the area you are stretching and hold for a minute. If you are in pain or any real discomfort you are over stretching. Give it time. Everyone is different as to range of flexibility and movement.

PNF - Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation stretching will also help. However, be careful with such as soft tissue damage can occur. PNF is where the muscle group to be stretched is such that the muscles are stretched and under tension. The individual then contracts the stretched muscle group for 5 – 6 seconds while a partner or immovable object maintains enough resistance to prevent movement. The contracted muscle group is then relaxed and a slightly increased controlled stretch is applied for about 20 to 30 seconds. The muscle group is then completely relaxed allowing 30 seconds to recover and the process is repeated 2 – 4 times.

OP
Styles316

Styles316

White Belt
Reaction score
It looks cool.

I like the part when you said it looks cool!!!
clip_image001.png
That's so true

Dynamic movement is more important. Actually do the movements you are wanting to the stretch for.

So, for instance if I want to do high kicks in kickboxing do I continue to do high kicks to be more flexible?

If you are going to do static splits get your muscles well warmed up. Best time for static stretching is 'after' your workout. Don't over stretch. Get to the point you feel the tension in the area you are stretching and hold for a minute. If you are in pain or any real discomfort you are over stretching. Give it time. Everyone is different as to range of flexibility and movement.

Good advice!

PNF - Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation stretching will also help. However, be careful with such as soft tissue damage can occur. PNF is where the muscle group to be stretched is such that the muscles are stretched and under tension. The individual then contracts the stretched muscle group for 5 – 6 seconds while a partner or immovable object maintains enough resistance to prevent movement. The contracted muscle group is then relaxed and a slightly increased controlled stretch is applied for about 20 to 30 seconds. The muscle group is then completely relaxed allowing 30 seconds to recover and the process is repeated 2 – 4 times.

Cheers pal!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found them very useful for my side kicks when I started TKD. I can't do the full splits, but that stretch really helped with side kick.

What I do is lay on my back, put my butt next to the wall, and do the splits along the wall and let gravity do the work. Then you can read or play games on your phone.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most people approach flexibility as if more is always better. I tend to disagree with this view. Ideally, being flexible enough to optimally perform the physical activities that you want to take part in, and no more than that, is probably safest and healthiest (unless sitting on the couch watching TV is the only activity you want to take part in). If your art involves kicks to the head you need a lot more flexibility than if you never kick above the waist. If you never want to kick above the waist there's not really any reason to develop the flexibility to kick all the way to head height and some reasons not to and the same thing goes for general things like the splits. That being said, if you want to look cool doing the splits I think that's plenty of reason to train yourself to be able to do them.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On the subject of flexibility, can you guys update me on the current accepted wisdom real stretching and flexibility without injury.

I pulled a muscle or popped a tendon or something doing a front kick faster than my feeble frame is currently good for.

Also any injury recovery advice would be great and lastly (on the actual topic) any advice for getting to the splits for a guy who feels like he's falling apart?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been trying to do the splits on and off for some time now I know it helps your flexibility. Does anyone know the best and fastest way to do the splits? Also, how does it help you in your training? As in can you kick higher, prevent any injuries? etc.
The "cool" is enough reason to do them, if you just want to. As Danny says, dynamic flexibility is more important. I can kick to the head/face, but can't usually touch my toes. So, I've got decent (not great) kicking range, though I'm pretty inflexible from a static position. Mind you, it's better to have both, but I'd rather have the dynamic flexibility, given a choice.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the subject of flexibility, can you guys update me on the current accepted wisdom real stretching and flexibility without injury.

I pulled a muscle or popped a tendon or something doing a front kick faster than my feeble frame is currently good for.

Also any injury recovery advice would be great and lastly (on the actual topic) any advice for getting to the splits for a guy who feels like he's falling apart?
Someone with more knowledge than me said if you get an injury like a pull/strain, lay off the stretching for a few days, because it's already pulled apart a bit, and you're making it worse. After that, lightly stretch it (no pain) as it heals so you don't lose range of motion.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi

All flexibility is good. It reduces the risk of tendon and muscle injury, increases your range of motion, and even stimulates stem cell growth in your joints.

Plus ya, doing the splits is JCVD cool. :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi

As others have said, dynamic stretches at the start then finish a workout with static. If you have a wall with a stair rail on it to pull against it really helps. To prevent knee injury if you partner stretching, make sure your partner is not pushing at your ankles. Instead have them put their feet about mid-calf.

OP
Styles316

Styles316

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the messages and the awesome videos!

Can someone explain this? Just incase I don't get the wrong idea.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Many people have already posted that dynamic stretching is better to do before you start a workout than static stretching. This is true and can be backed by numerous reports you can find on the web. Oddly enough, there are still many MA schools that will do static stretching before a workout. Not everyone has caught up yet to use proper methodology.

You should seek medical attention to determine the nature of your injury but 'popping' a tendon or 'pulling' the muscle has more to do with not warming the muscles up to allow them to stretch without injury than anything else.

Injury recovery advice depends on what you actually did to your leg but if it is muscular in nature, I found that the RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) method of recovery is the best method to get you back to training.

Regarding getting to the splits for a guy who feels he is falling apart, the best advice I can give you is to keep practicing doing the splits. Over time, you should begin to get better at. In other words, persist.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many people have already posted that dynamic stretching is better to do before you start a workout than static stretching. This is true and can be backed by numerous reports you can find on the web. Oddly enough, there are still many MA schools that will do static stretching before a workout. Not everyone has caught up yet to use proper methodology.

You should seek medical attention to determine the nature of your injury but 'popping' a tendon or 'pulling' the muscle has more to do with not warming the muscles up to allow them to stretch without injury than anything else.

Injury recovery advice depends on what you actually did to your leg but if it is muscular in nature, I found that the RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) method of recovery is the best method to get you back to training.

Regarding getting to the splits for a guy who feels he is falling apart, the best advice I can give you is to keep practicing doing the splits. Over time, you should begin to get better at. In other words, persist.
And what do these reports say happens to you if you do static streach before excersise ? Im assuming yiuve read them all, before quoting them ? or even one if them , ? No !

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am guessing from your post what I said challenges what you do in practice and the best way for you to respond is to ask me if I read ALL the reports before quoting them.

Interesting...........

Latest Discussions