Any hockey fans?

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok!! LET'S GET IT ON!!! Tonight will decide who gets the first win of the Stanley Cup Finals, passion, blood, sweat and tears will decide the winner of one of sports toughest trophies to win. I have my video set, and cannot wait!!!

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Aaaah, Maggie the Monkey. She IS 9-5, so there has to be something in it.... Doesn't there? ;) I happen to agree with her. I think the Canes momentum will carry them onto a first game win, but then the rested Oilers stamina will get them back into contention.... Thoughts peeps?

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going with Edmonton tonight 3-2. I think the Canes will step out on the ice and underestimate the Oil just like everyone else has,and the Oil will make them pay.

I am intersted to see how Roloson will do in net...he hasn't seen the same quality of scorers in the playoffs that Ward has. I also expect to see some hard hits tonight..both teams like to take the body and for the first time have other big bodies to line up. WHOOHOO!!! Fasten your seat belts..and keep your heads up,boys..it's gonna be a good one!

:drinkbeer :partyon: :drinky: :cheers:

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul B said:
I'm going with Edmonton tonight 3-2. I think the Canes will step out on the ice and underestimate the Oil just like everyone else has,and the Oil will make them pay.

I am intersted to see how Roloson will do in net...he hasn't seen the same quality of scorers in the playoffs that Ward has. I also expect to see some hard hits tonight..both teams like to take the body and for the first time have other big bodies to line up. WHOOHOO!!! Fasten your seat belts..and keep your heads up,boys..it's gonna be a good one!

:drinkbeer :partyon: :drinky: :cheers:

To be honest guys, I don't really rate either goalie. I think one silly mistake will lead to a flood of goals. :)

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kensai said:
To be honest guys, I don't really rate either goalie. I think one silly mistake will lead to a flood of goals. :)

Oh yeah?!!..:fanboy: Sweet!! Hmm..maybe not for MrH,though..I am concerned for his constitution.:p 4 more hours till...SHOWTIME!!:partyon:

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul B said:
Oh yeah?!!..:fanboy: Sweet!! Hmm..maybe not for MrH,though..I am concerned for his constitution.:p 4 more hours till...SHOWTIME!!:partyon:

Yeah BABY!! *HI-5's Paul, puts feet up, cracks open can of lager... Settles *** groove.* :)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh gosh :partyon:

Well, its the first game, but this game had everything in it... a 3 goal come back, a short handed goal, a late period goal, a penalty shot (first successful in the Stanley Cup finals), critical injuries, long killed 5-on-3, high scoring.... gosh, what a good game :)

I'm curious to see how Roloson is. If they lose him, its going to be tough. Especially if Conklin has to fill in. The last goal was pretty much his mistake. Thats one thing Carolina has in their edge, both goalies have experience.

Personally, I'd hate to see the playoffs determined by injuries (aka Buffalo), but I'd still take it LOL

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, Roloson is out for the playoffs. I'm not going to write them off yet, but this sure does put a hamper on their plans. Roloson has been playing great these playoffs, and Conklin simply does not have the experience. At least this shifts the odds in Carolinas favor! I don't expect a sweep, but now I'd not be too suprised either...

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gutted. I left it at 3-1, and thought it'd be ok from there. Is there any evidence of foul play in taking "Roley the Goalie" out? Seems a bit suspect... I heard he got run, and had his hand caught in the net, AND did his knee in... *scratches head*... Oh well, I can only hope the Oil destroy them from here. ;)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ladd was going into goal, and an Oiler hit him into the goalie. No penalty was called, and it looked innocent. injuries are a sad part of the game. Strange seeing that kind of injurie. I initially thought he injured his shoulder. He sure his the post hard.

Kensai said:
Gutted. I left it at 3-1, and thought it'd be ok from there. Is there any evidence of foul play in taking "Roley the Goalie" out? Seems a bit suspect... I heard he got run, and had his hand caught in the net, AND did his knee in... *scratches head*... Oh well, I can only hope the Oil destroy them from here. ;)

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I left the game at 3-1, thinking, "Ha, they've got this in the bag now..." How wrong can you be eh? :( Then on the way to work, I knew I'd see the score somewhere ( I taped it to watch later), and chuckled to myself "bet they lost 5-4, nah, that'd never happen"... :(

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kensai said:
I left the game at 3-1, thinking, "Ha, they've got this in the bag now..." How wrong can you be eh? :( Then on the way to work, I knew I'd see the score somewhere ( I taped it to watch later), and chuckled to myself "bet they lost 5-4, nah, that'd never happen"... :(

Carolina has had alot of comebacks this year, for sure... however, this was one of the biggest ones. What is nuts is they are 7-4 when opponent scores first! Their third period scoring has been amazing, including last night they outscored their opponents 22-9 in the third period. Needless to say, stick to your seats :)

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Carolina has had alot of comebacks this year, for sure... however, this was one of the biggest ones. What is nuts is they are 7-4 when opponent scores first! Their third period scoring has been amazing, including last night they outscored their opponents 22-9 in the third period. Needless to say, stick to your seats :)

Amen to that. :) Overall though, the Canes don't strike me as having any real MAJOR league names, sure they have a few BIG names, Brind-Amour etc, but no Lecav, St Louis, Iginla, Di Pietro, Sundin, etc etc.. Recchi, good, war horse, Weight? The same. That said, it was a pretty intense game, I just want the Oilers to come back from this.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Amen to that. :) Overall though, the Canes don't strike me as having any real MAJOR league names, sure they have a few BIG names, Brind-Amour etc, but no Lecav, St Louis, Iginla, Di Pietro, Sundin, etc etc.. Recchi, good, war horse, Weight? The same. That said, it was a pretty intense game, I just want the Oilers to come back from this.

Give Staal some time. His name is going to be big. Brind'Amour is pretty big. I think Cole has the potential to be huge too, he is still maturing. We just got Recchi and Weight this season, hoping to get a cup, but we were doing fine before them. Big names change over time, thats the nature of the sport.

No huge names yet, but you don't need them to win a cup... :)

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Give Staal some time. His name is going to be big. Brind'Amour is pretty big. I think Cole has the potential to be huge too, he is still maturing. We just got Recchi and Weight this season, hoping to get a cup, but we were doing fine before them. Big names change over time, thats the nature of the sport.

No huge names yet, but you don't need them to win a cup... :)

That's my point! :) Refreshing isn't it. 2 franchises that aren't "big market franchises" in the finals, and giving each other hell too. Although I don't normally support the Oil, I always back the Canadian teams if they're playing. ;) You an actual Canes fan Mrhnau? :)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kensai said:
That's my point! :) Refreshing isn't it. 2 franchises that aren't "big market franchises" in the finals, and giving each other hell too. Although I don't normally support the Oil, I always back the Canadian teams if they're playing. ;) You an actual Canes fan Mrhnau? :)

LOL

I live about 5 miles from the stadium! Been a hockey fan forever. Followed the Raleigh Ice Caps before we got the NHL team. Can't afford to go to too many games though. Especially the playoffs, when they jack up the prices. Its been fun introducing my wife to the game. She has gotten to enjoy it quite a bit. Raleigh has grown into the sport. We have alot of northerners who migrated south and brought their love for the game. Locals are still catching on I think and have become fairly educated in the game. I think this is common for alot of non-traditional locales.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
LOL

I live about 5 miles from the stadium! Been a hockey fan forever. Followed the Raleigh Ice Caps before we got the NHL team. Can't afford to go to too many games though. Especially the playoffs, when they jack up the prices. Its been fun introducing my wife to the game. She has gotten to enjoy it quite a bit. Raleigh has grown into the sport. We have alot of northerners who migrated south and brought their love for the game. Locals are still catching on I think and have become fairly educated in the game. I think this is common for alot of non-traditional locales.

As Kiwis would say "good on yer". Yeah, my mrs and her daughter are quite into it now too. They come from a soccer background (yawns), and rugby (totally rocks!), so this is new for them too. Well, in that case, as you're an actual fan, I wish you and yours the best of luck... May they come 2nd. ;)

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whew..that was tiring to even watch..I'm rooting for Carolina and the Fiance' is going for Edmonton...lot of emotional ups-n-downs in that one,boys.

Ward put on a clinic last night..I had Roy flashbacks when he was on form..just amazing to watch. I feel bad for Roloson..but it was his teammate that +checked the guy into him..those posts aren't very forgiving.

Staal is going to be a top ten forward,you watch..I'm hoping we get his brother in the draft and he turns out the same. I'm really looking forward to the next one..if it's even half as good it'll still be worth watching. Here's hoping Conklin can suck it up and make a series out of it.:cheers:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go Edmonton!

I still want them to win, and wish their goalie the best in his recovery.

Latest Discussions