Angus Trim Katana clones...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Angus Trim's katana clones? I'd be interested in hearing what any of you have to say about these.

Thanks!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Michael,
I've played with some of Scott Irey's stuff from ASA Swordworks made with Angus Trim clone blades a while back. Very nicely done in my opinion. Better than the Chinese made stuff. That being said, I don't know if they are still in business or not. There was a lot of swirl a while back about it but, since I wasn't in the market at the time, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. You'd have to email them directly.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Michael,
I've played with some of Scott Irey's stuff from ASA Swordworks made with Angus Trim clone blades a while back. Very nicely done in my opinion. Better than the Chinese made stuff. That being said, I don't know if they are still in business or not. There was a lot of swirl a while back about it but, since I wasn't in the market at the time, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. You'd have to email them directly.

will do, I haven't looked at his website lately (Angus', I don't known anything about Scott Irey), but I hope he is, I do like his European stuff.

In your opinion, what do you feel made this stuff better than a lot of the Chinese stuff? What are the typical problem points with the Chinese stuff that you felt was better done with the Angus Trims?

thanks again

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Angus is still around, although he's selling through someone else now. I've never played with one of his traditional wrapped katana but the tactical one is awfully nice. Truthfully, I've never tried one of his swords that wasn't a pleasure to handle. The guy is just flat out good.

Matt

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In your opinion, what do you feel made this stuff better than a lot of the Chinese stuff? What are the typical problem points with the Chinese stuff that you felt was better done with the Angus Trims?
The swords were just a lot better than the majority of the Chinese blades. The Chinese still hammer their blades out, so the lines and balance can vary alot depending upon how good the particular person that made a particular blade is. Angus Trim machines his blades. He carefully measured several different antique blades and then wrote programs to mimic them in dimension and weight. Scott Irey and ASA Swordworks then took these blades, carved tsuka and saya, laquered and wrapped. The overall look was much better, the fittings were better quality than the majority of the Chinese stuff, and the workmanship was better. However, as I said earlier, I don't know if ASA Swordworks is still in business or not. You'll have to ask them.

I've played with a couple of Angus' European blades. I agree that they feel good in the hands, and cut really well.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Michael,

I do recall ASA, I had forgotten their name and checked their website yesterday. They make some pretty nice looking stuff. I've never handled anything they've done, but it looks wonderful, both the Katana style pieces and the European.

I've got a few European blades made by AT that I'm building my own hilts and scabbards, I think I do OK with it, but their stuff is definitely cleaner. Good stuff!

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions