and the worst rock band in history is...

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i've given this a lot of thought since my last thread on this subject (see "is music getting crappier?") i think that, ultimately, the blame for the current state of music can be placed on the shoulders of one band...

creed.

here is a band that lacked originality, musicianship, or any substance whatsoever in their lyrics. in the wake of grunge, they took advantage of the new lack of emphasis on musicianship to combine a droning, generic guitar sound with vacuous melodramatic lyrics sung by a cheap eddie veddar impersonator.

hinder. buckcherry. rev theory. nickleback. theory of a deadman. daughtry. check the music collections of any of these "bands" & i guarantee you will find an infestation of creed albums.

so here's to you, creed. & thanks so much for forming alter bridge after what's-his-name left. god forbid that the world be left without a creed clone comprised mostly of original members.

jf

Kryshah

White Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more man. I think that todays entire music scene suffers from this though. It's a cookie cutter mentality. The music industry seeks a formula rather than just good music. This is especially true among pop artists, though I do agree that rock is definately on the decline. I applaud artists like Trent Reznor for giving the big finger up to record labels and doing his own thing. I think that the best rock recorded is a product of the seventies. Zeppelin didn't worry about digitally enhanced vocals, Queen didn't use drum machines to enhance a performance, and the Doors didn't give a damn if anyone appreciated thier lyrics or not. Music has become far too commercialized, and those of us that appreciate quality suffer. As a musician, I find the trash on the airwaves today insulting.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is an interesting thing to see, watching younger folk of today actually enjoying the music of the 50's-60's-70's and even 80's. You mention Beatles and they know exactly who you're talking about, you play any of their songs part way and switch it to another station and they'll want you to switch it back.

That says something, it says a helluva lot.

I'm gonna just guess that today's rock is going through a phase (as it has in the past some positive some better) and hopefully artists will realize what music is really about. Self expression.

Have to wait and see I reckon.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though I agree with every word in the OP, I feel that this thread is incomplete without mentioning the sheer epic wrongness that is Coldplay.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I'll just say this: Creed is no Jonas Brothers.
icon10.gif

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
As crappy as Creed was, I say go to the source.

Nirvanna

worst
band
ever
to
be
popular

Them thars fightin' words. As a guy who got to see Nirvana around when "Bleach" was released, no effin' way. If you are talking about bad popular music, can you really say Nirvana is worse than say Matchbox 20 or the Spin Doctors? Bleah.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
not worse per se, but Nirvanna was to creed as Vader was to Luke

Spin doctors are just the idiot cousins

and there is ONE matchbox 20 song i like.

Get it back to good

other than that they need to die

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth that is hilarious :roflmao:

and I have to say The Killers
definitely one of the worst.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
while nirvana's music was simple, it was melodic & interesting (to me at least). it was good to see a little punk infused into the popular rock.

the real problem with nirvana is that it went on to spawn foo fighters.

jf

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You probably never heard of them, which is an indication at to how bad they were. I saw them New Year's Eve in San Francisco's Cow Palace. They were a warm up band for "Gamma" featuring Ronnie Montrose and Blue Oyster Cult in 1980. They were booed and had things throw at them the entire concert, the lead singer said at one point, "Your a tough audience" Well, they didn't boo or throw things at Gamma or Blue Oyster Cult, maybe they weren't very good.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
while nirvana's music was simple, it was melodic & interesting (to me at least). it was good to see a little punk infused into the popular rock.

the real problem with nirvana is that it went on to spawn foo fighters.

jf
See, now I think Dave Grohl was the real (only?) talent in Nirvana. I'm not a big fan of most of the Foo Fighters stuff (Let It Die is pretty cool, though), but his Probot project was interesting.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
kreth i think we established while discussing metallica that you & i are pretty opposite musically :) . my real beef with grohl was that he took a perfect band like kyuss & turned it into queens of the stone age. i haven't heard probot.

jf

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dudes.

The worst rock band IN HISTORY?

I think we would be remiss if we did not mention:

The Pretenders: Chrissie Hynde has to be the great grandmama of today's whiny chick singer bands.

The Cars: Some people should just not sing. Or write.

And are you forgetting...CULTURE CLUB! These guys took themselves seriously.

For a more contemporary contender, I submit to you that The Moldy Peaches are a serious threat to the title.