and the worst rock band in history is...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And are you forgetting...CULTURE CLUB! These guys took themselves seriously.
:eek:
Culture Club is *not* a rock band. Queen is a rock band. Pink Floyd is a rock band. Aerosmith is a rock band. Hell, I'd even throw something borderline in there like the Charlie Daniels Band before I considered that ready-made elevator music as rock.
Oh, BTW, Michael Jackson is not a rock star, either.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
kreth is right, i think we'd have to stretch the definition of "rock" to include those bands. besides, culture club may have sucked, but it didn't spawn a whole generation of copycat sub par, mind-numbing blather.

jf

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two words: White Stripes.

What in the world are you talking about? The White Stripes write very clever lyrics and although their sound isn't the most original thing in the world, at least it's different than most of the bands that are popular these days.

Though I agree with every word in the OP, I feel that this thread is incomplete without mentioning the sheer epic wrongness that is Coldplay.

Although they are a great candidate for worst rock band, I think they are even more so one of the most overrated bands in history.

As crappy as Creed was, I say go to the source.

Nirvanna

They were OK, again more overrated than anything else.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Led Zeppelin. (god they were bad
icon6.gif
)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What in the world are you talking about? The White Stripes write very clever lyrics and although their sound isn't the most original thing in the world, at least it's different than most of the bands that are popular these days.
Sorry, IMO they're a garage band with a full bore marketing machine.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dudes.

The Pretenders: Chrissie Hynde has to be the great grandmama of today's whiny chick singer bands.

The Cars: Some people should just not sing. Or write.

agree on the pretenders

gonna shoot you in the face on the Cars

the Cars were awesome

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
:lol: It's a good job we have the Atlantic separating us right now :samurai:

%-} (me and my pirate boy's are a ready) :rofl:

I had to throw that out there. Actually I like a few of there songs but in general they are not that good in my opinion.
icon9.gif
(hence the worst and most over rated ever)

Funny thing is that I like the foo fighters, Nirvana or course metallica and the best of all time Rage Against The Machine. I have pretty diverse taste. (Hey I like U2 and did before they were popular and love old and modern bands)

Hey I like the White Stripes as well but Kreth is right in that they are a garage band with below average talent yet they have great marketing.
icon6.gif

In a thread like this it is all about your personal taste because let's face it what makes one person tick in music certainly does not do it for every one.
icon6.gif

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Kreth about the White Stripes. They stink. However, on a technicality, they're not a "rock Band."

They're actually a duet. AND they're siblings. I mean, you can't capitalize on groupies with your sister in the same trailer, right? What kind of rock "band" is that?

I can't name one band. That would be irresponsible of me. But I can give you a Top 5:

1. Insane Clown Posse- Metal + Gangster Rap+ JNCO Jeans= Horrible, ignorant noise. Marylin Manson's adrodgynous, goth-Bowie persona is more genuine than ICP's insecure, pre-pubescent (yet over 35) image.

2. Crash Test Dummies- "MMmmmMMMmm". 'nuff said.

3. Better Than Ezra- My ex's favorite band. They are the bane of all Man's existence and will suck the will to live out of any male. Those who beg to differ are already affected by their noxious existence.

4. Gin Blossoms- They don't rock. They never did. I walked by them playing in a small tent one 4th of July in STL. They even stink live.

5. Oasis- Yes, the Ghallager brothers are rock stars in their own minds. They even feud like rock stars should. Oasis even brought "Brit Pop" back to the US in the 90's... But if I wanted someone to whine in my ear, I'd get a job at the DMV. Rockability, yes. Applied Rockingness? Zero.

5. Creed- There are waaaay too many people out there who LOVE Creed... But they keep it a secret from their friends and family. A Creed-lover might be your neighbor, a family member, or your spouse. For some unknown reason, they're everywhere. Preach hypocrisy in another medium, Scott Stapp!

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a tie between Europe and White Lion.

people, people, we're missing the point here! how often do you still hear white lion on the radio? who did the culture club influence? not only does creed suck, but they laid the groundwork for an entire following generation of suck. sure, i'll admit that i have heard worse bands than creed. but i can't think of a worse band that has left the legecy that creed has.

jf

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
people, people, we're missing the point here! how often do you still hear white lion on the radio? who did the culture club influence? not only does creed suck, but they laid the groundwork for an entire following generation of suck. sure, i'll admit that i have heard worse bands than creed. but i can't think of a worse band that has left the legecy that creed has.

jf

Actually I like some creed music. :rofl:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
3. Better Than Ezra- My ex's favorite band. They are the bane of all Man's existence and will suck the will to live out of any male. Those who beg to differ are already affected by their noxious existence.

That reminds me of an SNL weekend update quote circa 1998:

"At No. 1 on the pop charts this week was Better Than Ezra. And at No. 2 ... Ezra."

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait... who started the whole Emo thing? I know it started somewhere in the 80's... THAT band is the WORST rock band in history.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Kreth about the White Stripes. They stink. However, on a technicality, they're not a "rock Band."

They're actually a duet. AND they're siblings.
IIRC, they were actually married at one point and the brother/sister thing was some kind of twisted publicity stunt.

What's wrong with garage bands? There have been garage bands that have changed the face of rock.
Yeah, Metallica started out as a garage band covering NWOBHM tunes. Most bands exhibit a huge increase in skill once they make it big enough to become full-time musicians. I think I could play most of the White Stripes catalog on drums or guitar. :rolleyes:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya'll are LUCKY there is a "No Challenge" rule on MT or I'd be passing out Tickets fer *** Whoopins!

:angry:

Foo Fighters are probably my favorite band right now. Can't figure out why Grohl would sit back behind the drums for Mr. Courtney Love when he had 10 times the talent as guitarist, singer and songwriter.

And Zep was my favorite when I was first learning to love rock music.

Both of these bands have displayed the ability to make great music that spans a much wider spectrum than most one-trick pony bands.

That said, what is the criteria, really, for the "worst rock band" title? That someone thinks they suck? Obviously there is ALWAYS some clown who thinks ANY given band sucks.

Too subjective. Find an objective criteria and then lets continue the discussion :)