An open letter to those protesting the war in Iraq:

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
You're in a position of authority here now.

Moderators (including administrators) are entitled to their opinions on MartialTalk. This is why official posts are signed as below. All other posts represent the opinions of the poster.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your signature file is far more offensive

Ah yes, interpret Hemingway in a simple literal manner. (Incidentally, as a Red Cross volunteer in WWI, he was badly wounded by Austrian shrapnel.) Do you know the rest of that quote?

Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified is not a crime. Ask the infantry, and ask the dead.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks, Arnisador, for clearing up that quote. I was going to point out that Hemingway was a war veteran, a breed far different from the run of the mill civilian who has never had their hide in real jeapordy.

Nightingale, you are entitled to your opinion. I am going to restrain myself, simply because I am too tired of arguing with people who have absolutely no reason to ***** about what we are doing. You profess that what we are doing is a crime. Fine. Remember that because of our "crimes" you can stand free without fear of reprisal for calling what we do a "crime." Next time you accuse us of being criminals, be sure to remember to thank us as you finish your inflammatory comments for providing you the freedom with which to vent your views.

Only those who have volunteered to protect our freedoms should have the right to vote and ***** in public about the policies of the Government, IMO. I agree fully with Heinlein (another war vet) in his take on this. If you civilians who so liberally enjoy the freedoms which you have done nothing whatsoever to earn disagree with me, then sit and swallow it the way we soldiers have to sit back and swallow your twisted views as well...

I am tired. Tired of wondering every day whether I am going to get my orders to go to Iraq. Tired of wondering whether or not Iraq will use chemical or biological weapons and my friends and I may die deaths that animals would not be subjected to. Tired of wondering if, when and for how long I will have to be separated from my wife and children. How many of you civilians who protest so loudly about our "crimes" have these concerns on your minds?

Come see me when you do...

Gambarimasu.
:asian: :tank: :tank: :tank: :tank: :asian:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
LMAO! Fat chance that will EVER happen! The UN is IMPOTENT! It couldn't take up arms to swap a fly! lol Against the US, which pay 25% of its operating expense? Kirk, you need to stay away from the Tequila. :D

The STRONG public opinion is to FINISH the mass murderers in Iraq.

No argument .. but they're possibilities, however improbable.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by arnisador
Moderators (including administrators) are entitled to their opinions on MartialTalk. This is why official posts are signed as below. All other posts represent the opinions of the poster.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Ah, yes, interpret what I said in that simple manner. The point
being was that she made it known that her opinion that when
one is in a position of authority, such as teacher, principle, dean,
soccer coach, etc ... that expressing opinions is harmful to
children.

K

Kirk

Ah yes, interpret Hemingway in a simple literal manner. (Incidentally, as a Red Cross volunteer in WWI, he was badly wounded by Austrian shrapnel.) Do you know the rest of that quote?

Why wasn't the rest included? IMO she's pushing her own
personal agenda, and would like to believe she's a hip california
humanitarian.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now, weapons are being found in schools, hospitals, homes. Red Cross access to those taken prisoner is being blocked by the Iraqis. I saw the video footage of the POWs. The ones dead all had head wounds...2 of which looked to be very close range, like, point blank. No, I'm not an expert, but I do know people who are and they confirmed those were close range impacts. There are 2 females un accounted for at this time. Those who hold them have no problem with using rape and worse. Not for any real gain, just for 'kicks'.

I am not 'for' this war. I think there are more pressing concerns. The economy thats in the crapper. N. Korea pointing nukes at our western shores that can actually hit it. Gas prices that are out of this world due mostly to US oil companies gouging us. (Spill 1 litre of oil in Iran, watch oil jump $20 a barrel. Pump 2 Bil. extra barrels in, wate 30 days for prices to come down. Thats BS, and thats gouging). At every level of government, rights are being eroded, budgets eliminated and services with them. I find it hard to feel that a nutcase on the other side of the world, who can maybe kill a few dozen people in Egypt is a risk to us here, in North America.

I definately dont like the fact its gonna take me forever to cross the border to get to Toronto this weekend...I like it less that it will take twice as long to get back into the US.

The UN is supposed to be the force for peace, yet seems to be content to discuss things in commitees forever. It has no real power to do anything. Sanctions have been imposed on Iraq for over a decade. They've done nothing towards fixing the problems. As a parent, how many times do you tell your kid to 'clean their room' before you go in with the garbage bag and do it for them? How many times do you tell Johnny to stop poking Sara before you give him a swat? If youre the UN, you take away his pudding rights, and wait til she moves out.

I don't like GWB. I have this problem with non-elected leaders. I like his 'people' even less. The US acted when it concluded that the others wouldn't. It wasn't "UN back us" it was "UN enforce this, or we will act". Most of these 'idiots' in the US gov. are college educated, with access to all sorts of information that we just do not have. As much as I do not like GWB, I think I trust his judgement better than I do some Git actor who never made it outta highschool and watches CNN.

The biggest reason for me writing the original letter was to support the troops. They didn't choose this fight. They are doing their duty to their country, despite their personal feelings. They are the ones who are facing things that we don't even want to think about. I have friends over there. I have friends in Afgahnistan. I lost friends in earlier conflicts...and I've seen the once who came home. Once you see it, it changes you. I hope I never have to see what they saw.

Despite wether you think the US is right or not, please remember those in the field in your thoughts and well wishes. I believe that enough positive energy focused at it, may shorten the conflict, and bring many home who otherwise might not have. It is my hope that this will be over soon, with minimal loss of life or injury, on both sides.

I've heard that Canada is ready to assist in the humanitarian aid, and join the fight if UN approval is given.
OTTAWA, March 26 - The Honourable Susan Whelan, Minister for
International Cooperation, today announced that Canada, through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), has committed $100 million in humanitarian assistance for the people of Iraq.
"Today's contribution demonstrates our commitment, on behalf of
Canadians, to provide humanitarian assistance to the Iraqi people," said
Minister Whelan. "There will be an immediate allocation of $20 million to UN humanitarian agencies, the Red Cross and to CARE Canada. This funding will help to ensure that war-affected Iraqis have access to clean water and proper sanitation, food and shelter and primary health care."
CIDA will continue to work in cooperation with these organizations to
plan and deliver humanitarian support to the Iraqi people, in the most timely and efficient way possible.
"We are monitoring the situation closely and are in regular contact with
our partners and our missions in the region," said Minister Whelan. "The UN and international humanitarian aid agencies are extremely concerned about the impact of the conflict on Iraqi civilians, and are taking measures to respond to humanitarian needs. Canada is committed to support their work."

We can all agree to disagree on 'was it the right thing to do'. Let us all agree in our hopes for a fast, positive end to the conflict.

Peace.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You support them, yet call them criminals? On kenponet, IMO
you've made it painfully clear that you don't support war, for any
reason.

Actually, I said that I didn't support the war without the backing of the UN. There is a difference.

also:

I chose a quote from Hemingway precicely because he was a veteran, and therefore, probably knew what he was talking about. and I didn't include the rest of the quote simply because I couldn't remember it exactly. The book I have simply had that portion, and I had read the remainder somewhere, but couldn't remember where, and didn't want to read through my entire collection of Hemingway to find it.

War is a crime because it is a disgraceful state for humanity to be in. That's why I chose that signature. I'm not calling the soldiers and officers criminals. They're following orders, and probably think they're doing the right thing. I can't fault them for that. It isn't that the soldiers are criminals, its that the state of war in general is criminal

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I've heard that Canada is ready to assist in the humanitarian aid.

Yep.

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
and join the fight if UN approval is given.

You %$#@ing d@mn well know it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why wasn't the rest included? IMO she's pushing her own
personal agenda

I can't tell you how shocking I find it to hear that someone is using their .sig file to do that.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472
War is a crime because it is a disgraceful state for humanity to be in. That's why I chose that signature. I'm not calling the soldiers and officers criminals. They're following orders, and probably think they're doing the right thing. I can't fault them for that. It isn't that the soldiers are criminals, its that the state of war in general is criminal

I can believe that, I can understand that opinion, and in some
ways agree (necessary evil .. part of human kind).

G

GouRonin

**getting on the flame proof suit to watch this one**
:flame:

K

Kirk

I can't tell you how shocking I find it to hear that someone is using their .sig file to do that.

What exactly is your intent here? What do you mean by that?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can believe that, I can understand that opinion, and in some
ways agree (necessary evil .. part of human kind).

that's it exactly...

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What exactly is your intent here? What do you mean by that?

What I suspect he's trying to point out, is that there is no such thing as a post, or a .sig, without an agenda. Complaining about someone having an "agenda" is about as useful as constantly pointing out that oranges are orange.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by qizmoduis
What I suspect he's trying to point out, is that there is no such thing as a post, or a .sig, without an agenda. Complaining about someone having an "agenda" is about as useful as constantly pointing out that oranges are orange.

Well then the consistancy request once again goes unanswered.
I was told to change my signature one time, because it offended
1 or some.

What's the agenda with yours?

F

fist of fury

The U.N. is a joke IMO just another place for politicians to lie and push thier own agenda's. War and fighting will never go away. People are people and to think that humanity will eventually evovle into a utopian state of enlightenment where we all live in this love and harmony is a waste of energy. War is necessary sometime people/goverments need thier @ss kicked to get the point across.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Thanks, Arnisador, for clearing up that quote. I was going to point out that Hemingway was a war veteran, a breed far different from the run of the mill civilian who has never had their hide in real jeapordy.

Nightingale, you are entitled to your opinion. I am going to restrain myself, simply because I am too tired of arguing with people who have absolutely no reason to ***** about what we are doing. You profess that what we are doing is a crime. Fine. Remember that because of our "crimes" you can stand free without fear of reprisal for calling what we do a "crime." Next time you accuse us of being criminals, be sure to remember to thank us as you finish your inflammatory comments for providing you the freedom with which to vent your views.

Only those who have volunteered to protect our freedoms should have the right to vote and ***** in public about the policies of the Government, IMO. I agree fully with Heinlein (another war vet) in his take on this. If you civilians who so liberally enjoy the freedoms which you have done nothing whatsoever to earn disagree with me, then sit and swallow it the way we soldiers have to sit back and swallow your twisted views as well...

I am tired. Tired of wondering every day whether I am going to get my orders to go to Iraq. Tired of wondering whether or not Iraq will use chemical or biological weapons and my friends and I may die deaths that animals would not be subjected to. Tired of wondering if, when and for how long I will have to be separated from my wife and children. How many of you civilians who protest so loudly about our "crimes" have these concerns on your minds?

Come see me when you do...

Gambarimasu.
:asian: :tank: :tank: :tank: :tank: :asian:

Nice take on the subject. Semper Fi... :asian:

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
People who naively believe that "UN Approval" is the stamp of morality and righteousness, are simply just being "naive". There is nothing more naive to say that you would support the war if the UN approved it.

The UN is a political body with each member holding close to its dear heart, the selfish interest of the ruling class behind each government. If you buy into the righteosness of "UN Approval" then you are simply turning a blind eye to the special interest groups that control the governments that made up the UN.

It saddens me that otherwise intelligent and reasonable people, can be so naive and simplistic when it comes to international politics. All those nations who oppose the war, do it out of their self interest and the special interest of big businesses in France, Germany, Russia, etc ,which happen to do billions of business with Iraq both in the past and behind the UN embargo. France, Germany and Russia are afraid that once the US gets its hands on the Iraqi archives, they will discover how much involvement these self-righteous nations have dirty corporate hands in Saddam's pockets, selling him weapons and technolgy to imprison, torture and murder the Iraqi and develop WMD. The Arabs oppose the war because liberation is a dirty word in the dictionary of dictators.

THe naive leftists who whine about how innocent civilians may be injured are simply being brain dead to the reality that innocent civilians ARE already being tortured, raped, murdered systematically in Iraq daily. Their only hope of reprieve is this war!! This is NOT the first time that leftists being stupid. They used to romantize the barbaric Soviets and communisn too. Gosh ! The stupidity of these people!

Of course, the US is not doing it purely out of concern for the wellfare of the Iraqis. We do it, b/c it is in America's interest to establish a friendly regime on top of the second largest oil reserve in the world. It is the duty of our government to look out for our national interests.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With respect to Johnathan Napalm's last post, yes I agree, and besides the patriotism that has arisen, there are certainly econonic interests involved, there's no question or doubt about that.

However, I believe we, most Americans, are also honestly concerned about the innocent civilians, and of course our troops and their well being as this war plays out... :asian:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions