Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An open letter to those protesting the war in Iraq:

I don’t agree with the reasons I’ve seen either. There are certainly other causes or risks closer to home to be dealt with. Our economies at a low, businesses are failing, homelessness and unemployment are rising. In the west, a hostile nation has weapons that can easily reach our western shores. So, why are we in Iraq?

“No Blood for Oil” you cry.
It’s not about the oil.
We get less than 11% of our oil from the Middle East.

“No Blood for Israel” you cry.
It’s not about Israel.
Israel has been told to keep out of this conflict, and allow US forces to handle it.

So…what is it ‘really’ about?

Its about a dictator who for over a decade has refused to comply with the demands of a world body whose goals are peaceful resolution.

Its about a sadist who maintains dungeons and torture that would shock the Spanish Inquisition.
Witnesses had told them about prisoners of the regime having finger and toenails torn out, being given electric shocks to the genitals, tortured with boiling water and beaten.
Women were suspended by the hair or legs in front of their families and raped while their husbands were forced to watch.
Saddam's son Qusay – the head of Iraq's security and intelligence agencies – had administered mustard gas on prisoners, including a 12-year-old boy whose father heard his screams from a neighbouring cell, they were told.
Saddam's special adviser Barzan al-Tikriti, Iraq's former representative on the UN Commission on Human Rights, had personally taken part in the torture of detainees before their execution.
One witness, who spent 15 years in jail after being accused of using a false surname, described a particularly horrific method of execution: "There was a machine designed for shredding plastic. Men were dropped into it and we were . . . made to watch.
"Sometimes they went in head first and died quickly. Sometimes they went in feet first and died screaming. It was horrible. I saw 30 people die like this.
"Their remains would be placed in plastic bags and we were told they would be used as fish food."

Its about a government that forces its people at gunpoint to wave their flag.
In the US, no one makes you wave a flag, or turn out for a parade. In Iraq, if you don’t you may pay with your life.

I’ve heard it said that we’re only in it for the $$ that will be pumped into the big corporations. Maybe. But..Iraq has been decaying for over a decade. Its infrastructure is broken down, jury rigged, obsolete and backwards. It will take hundreds of billions of $$ to update and repair…Estimates run into the decades time wise. Its definitely not a good short term venture.

The United States is doing what it has to do.

Who gave us the right? The rest of the world did. By sitting there in committees, and debates, and giving Saddam chance after chance after chance. How many chances do you give before you say enough is enough? How long do you wait? The rest of the world gave us the right by sitting there on their asses and doing nothing, or worse.
When no one else would step up to the plate, we took charge.

And now, people are crying because a few dozen soldiers have died…screaming about the cost.

Hogwash!

The United States Military is the finest trained, best equipped, and most motivated of any in the world.

Despite what you may think of George W. Bush, and his government, the generals in the field will not spend their mens lives foolishly. The fact that we have to date covered over 200 miles into enemy held territory and only suffered light losses is a testament to the training, and equipment and planning that is going on. We must be prepared for higher losses, especially if they are forced to take cities. The British lost just under 240 KIA in 72 days in the Falklands. During WW2, The Allies sustained about 22,800 casualties in their conquest of Sicily. The Axis powers suffered about 165,000 casualties, of whom 30,000 were Germans. Remember, Sicily is only 110 square miles, slightly less than twice the size of Washington, DC and took 38 days to conquer. Iraq is 271,596 sq miles. Thats a lot of ground to cover.
Despite what you may think of this war, or what you may personally believe is behind it please support our troops. They are doing what we can or will not. They deserve our support, our prayers and our well wishes. It is because of their bravery and sacrifice that we can enjoy the freedoms we have. It is because they go to places like Bosnia, Serbia, Afghanistan, and Iraq that we can sit at home in comfort and complain. When you have donned the uniform, and gone thru the training, and put your time in, perhaps then you can judge them. But for now, whether you support the cause or not, support the troops.

Protest all you want. Hold your candlelight vigils, march in the streets, wave your flags, whatever. But, do it peacefully. And, when this war is over, welcome those brave souls home with open arms. They will have been through a hell we can not imagine, nor do we want to. Give them your love, support and prayers. They deserve it.

Peace.
:asian:

M

Master of Blades

Very cool post Kaith.....I really enjoyed reading :asian:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That was beautiful, Kaith. My feelings exactly :) You took the words outta my mouth (and heart). Thanks so much for writing that :asian:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Protest all you want. Hold your candlelight vigils, march in the streets, wave your flags, whatever. But, do it peacefully. And, when this war is over, welcome those brave souls home with open arms. They will have been through a hell we can not imagine, nor do we want to. Give them your love, support and prayers. They deserve it.

Peace.

I dont agree in the war. But I do agree with this statement Kaith has written.

/Yari

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nicely stated post.

Now that hostilities are underway, it's time to finish up with this war ASAP, eliminate the thugs in power and bring about the necessary humane changes needed in Iraq to help innocent Iraqi citizens.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am fully behind the reasons why we are doing what we are doing. There is a part of me that resents very deeply the countries who would not stand by our decision to do the harsh things that must be done to rid the world of this kind of tyrant.

My resolve was sealed after watching the Al Jazeera video clip of dead American soldiers... This clip is not on CNN, nor on local news. I watched it on the internet, forwarded to me by a like-minded colleague. In the video it is clear that at least two soldiers were executed by gunshots to the head. They displayed the bodies laid side by side, and one Iraqi man had the largest grin on his face I have seen while he repositioned one body for the camera...

No right minded person wants war. But sometimes, as I tell my children when I admonish them for failing to clean their rooms, just sometimes we have to do things we really don't want to do...

The tree of Freedom must often be watered by the blood of Patriots. Our founding fathers knew this, and it is no less true today than it was at the creation of our nation.

Godspeed to the men and women who are serving not just our nation, but the whole world, by sacrificing in this way.

Gambarimasu.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very nice post, Kaith.

I was just telling a co-worker today that it really isn't important for U.S. citizens as individuals support the war or support the President. However, it's of utmost importance that we support the men and women who are doing their duty in a hostile, foreign land. You can protest the war all you want for all I care, but never waiver in your support for our troops. They're the reason you continue to have the right to protest.

Cthulhu
bit tired from work and not sure I'm entirely coherent

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think we were right to go in in the first place. But now that we've started it, we need to finish it. Completely this time.

I may not agree with the war, and I may not be overly fond of the guy sitting up in the white house with his finger on the button, but I do support our troops. They're following orders and doing what they are told is necessary to protect our national security. I have friends over there that I send letters to daily.

I support the troops by hoping they finish their mission as quickly as possible and come home safe. And that, Kirk, was my motivation for posting KIA and MIA/POW lists.

-Nightingale

K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472
Personally, I don't think we were right to go in in the first place. But now that we've started it, we need to finish it. Completely this time.

I may not agree with the war, and I may not be overly fond of the guy sitting up in the white house with his finger on the button, but I do support our troops. They're following orders and doing what they are told is necessary to protect our national security. I have friends over there that I send letters to daily.

I support the troops by hoping they finish their mission as quickly as possible and come home safe. And that, Kirk, was my motivation for posting KIA and MIA/POW lists.

-Nightingale

You support them, yet call them criminals? On kenponet, IMO
you've made it painfully clear that you don't support war, for any
reason. You've made it clear that the govt or people in ANY
position of authority should never use the word "God" in
front of children. You're in a position of authority here now.
Your signature file is far more offensive than the use of a word
that refers only to love of your fellow man, respect to others,
love of nature, and all things good in life. Are you telling those
that you send letters to, that you feel they're committing some
kind of crime? Are you sending letters to the women of Iraq,
telling them about the "crime" of us rescuing them from
persecution, rape, starvation, and watching thier children die?

I'm not trying to start some flame war here. You're entitled to
your opinions on this whole shebang. I just think posting what
you did in the MIA/POW thread, with the signature you have is
most disrespectful. You've called my father, my brother, my
uncles, my grandfather ... criminals. It's MY opinion and mine
alone. When a reverent post is made ... I feel that irreverent
posts should be deleted, or made into thier own thread.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Say it ain't so Nightingale.....

Criminals? Kind of FAR FETCHED isn't it?

They are warriors. Prpfessionals. They do a job for America, at the command of an elected civilian leadership. They don't choose when to fight, who to fight againts.

The American military is among the most professional services.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how you define 'crime'.

It is a crime to fight for what you believe in? Is it a crime because of the senseless waste in life? Is it a crime because those who are at the top so rarely face the concequences of their actions?

Which is more criminal?
If GW loses this war, he gets to be a 1 termer, with a nice pension, benifits, speaking fees, and possibly a library named for him.

Of course, the 300,000+ US/UK troops there will pay for it with their lives. Remember, the majority of these are 18-26yr olds...our future.

The otherside of this is we're dealing with a madman (many actually) who think rape is fun, acid baths are a hoot, and feeding children into wood chippers is a fun weekend outting.

so, how do we define 'crime'?

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no chance we can lose this war. It is a simple fact based on how much intelligence we have gathered about Iraq over the last 12 years, how much we have improved our fighting capabilities and how much Saddam's war machine has laid waste due to lack of training and spare parts since Gulf war I. It is even more one-sided than the last time around.

The psychology is not hard to understand. Once it is clear that Saddam is not going to prevail, the whole thing will collapse in an instant. Right now, you have a population that has been terrorized forever by Saddam's henchmen. They remember how the US let Saddam stay the last time around. So, you have all fence sitters now. They will watch and wait to see.

The US is not unlike the Roman legions. They might suffer losses and set back. But they continue to grind on.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I think it all depends on how you define 'crime'.

It is a crime to fight for what you believe in? Is it a crime because of the senseless waste in life? Is it a crime because those who are at the top so rarely face the concequences of their actions?

Which is more criminal?
If GW loses this war, he gets to be a 1 termer, with a nice pension, benifits, speaking fees, and possibly a library named for him.

Of course, the 300,000+ US/UK troops there will pay for it with their lives. Remember, the majority of these are 18-26yr olds...our future.

The otherside of this is we're dealing with a madman (many actually) who think rape is fun, acid baths are a hoot, and feeding children into wood chippers is a fun weekend outting.

so, how do we define 'crime'?

1. An act committed or omitted in violation of a law forbidding or commanding it and for which punishment is imposed upon conviction.

2. Unlawful activity: statistics relating to violent crime.

3. A serious offense, especially one in violation of morality.

4. An unjust, senseless, or disgraceful act or condition:

I don't like referring to my brethren/family/friends in any of those
definitions. Number four, without the word disgraceful, albeit still
bad IMO, can be a matter of opinion, but still (IMO) doesn't belong
in a reverent thread. And saying that sparring the lives of so
many women, and children is unjust or senseless, is laughable.

"That depends on what your definition of the word 'is', is."
-- Bill Clinton

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
There is no chance we can lose this war. It is a simple fact based on how much intelligence we have gathered about Iraq over the last 12 years, how much we have improved our fighting capabilities and how much Saddam's war machine has laid waste due to lack of training and spare parts since Gulf war I. It is even more one-sided than the last time around.

The psychology is not hard to understand. Once it is clear that Saddam is not going to prevail, the whole thing will collapse in an instant. Right now, you have a population that has been terrorized forever by Saddam's henchmen. They remember how the US let Saddam stay the last time around. So, you have all fence sitters now. They will watch and wait to see.

The US is not unlike the Roman legions. They might suffer losses and set back. But they continue to grind on.

If the comprised U.N. that's opposed to our being Iraq, joined
together, and took up arms against us, then that's a whole HUGE
can of worms ... it's possible we could lose.

And a STRONG public opposition in this country, could lose the
war.

F

fist of fury

All these men and women that sign up do so with the knowledge that they may have to lay down thier lives one day. They may not agree as to why but it's thier job and if they weren't willing then they wouldn't have signed up.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
If the comprised U.N. that's opposed to our being Iraq, joined
together, and took up arms against us, then that's a whole HUGE
can of worms ... it's possible we could lose.

And a STRONG public opposition in this country, could lose the
war.

LMAO! Fat chance that will EVER happen! The UN is IMPOTENT! It couldn't take up arms to swap a fly! lol Against the US, which pay 25% of its operating expense? Kirk, you need to stay away from the Tequila. :D

The STRONG public opinion is to FINISH the mass murderers in Iraq.

Status
Not open for further replies.