An instructor who has never fought?

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
However, I do have some empathy with the statement that sports martial arts are not as effective for RBSD. Playing for sport is one side, playing for real is different. There are many quotes on this forum along the lines of 'train as you expect to act'. :asian:

That reasoning cuts both directions though. If you act the way you train, then it follows that you'd pull all your strikes, or choose more appropriate classroom techniques, or be stymied by the fact that your opponent isn't all decked out in red gear.

In other words, virtually nobody trains the way they actually expect to fight. Not if the definition of "fight" is this impossible-to-quantify-worst-case-scenario-on-the-streets thing that everyone talks about. I don't think I've ever seen an RBSD class where people actually gouge each other's eyes.

It's all an approximation.

Stuart

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
So long as I get the same quality instruction that the top dog gets,I make it work! vision! chutzpah! belief! EBMAS works for you but only if you work for it,and don't forget the most important tool the mind...(and even if I get my butt kicked,I can still buy a guy a beer) reverse psychology)

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If your going to ask the question, you might also want to know the out come of his / her fights.
if thats important to you, you will not want to train with some one who got his / her *** handed to them every time.
Most martial art teachers have most likely not been in fights, like most people have not.
If you train because you want to be a tough guy/girl, your going about it all wrong. Just go out and fight, go to prison & fight for your life.
If you want to learn the art, it dosen't matter if the teacher has been down and dirty.
When it comes down, your ready or not, if you keep your head you'll do the best you can. if you don't you have less chance.
It's down to you, it dosen't matter then if your teach has or not , it's about you.
Do you have the Hart for it .

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the danger lies in everybody not really knowing if the techniques as taught are really going to work. If you have never used it in a fight and the instructor hasn't used it in a fight, is faith in it's effectiveness going to be enough?

That being said though. I think it's more in HOW you train than in WHAT you train. If you train against resistance, train at speed and with intensity you should be better prepared than someone who does not regardless of how "deadly" the technique is supposed to be.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your going to ask the question, you might also want to know the out come of his / her fights.
if thats important to you, you will not want to train with some one who got his / her *** handed to them every time.
Most martial art teachers have most likely not been in fights, like most people have not.
If you train because you want to be a tough guy/girl, your going about it all wrong. Just go out and fight, go to prison & fight for your life.
If you want to learn the art, it doesn't matter if the teacher has been down and dirty.
When it comes down, your ready or not, if you keep your head you'll do the best you can. if you don't you have less chance.
It's down to you, it doesn't matter then if your teach has or not , it's about you.
Do you have the Hart for it .
Very good point. You can always tell who has heart by the way they train. If a student can take all you dish out, is not afraid to get hit, and looks forward to sparring night, that's where I'll put my money. There is only one problem though, it makes no difference if your instructor fought or just taught because no one knows for sure, until that time, your butt, is on the line and it is you or them.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would NOT like to learn how to fight/defend myself from someone who's never fought/defended himself.
I'd rather rely on learning from someone who knows what they teach works due to their BTDT factor, instead of someone who thinks what they teach should work theoretically.
Whats funny is I got suspended from another forum for saying this on the exact same subject!

Franco

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would NOT like to learn how to fight/defend myself from someone who's never fought/defended himself.
I'd rather rely on learning from someone who knows what they teach works due to their BTDT factor, instead of someone who thinks what they teach should work theoretically.
Whats funny is I got suspended from another forum for saying this on the exact same subject!

Franco
As a general rule, I agree with you; my preference would be to have an instructor with some kind of practical experience.

The only caveat is that there is really no way to verify any claims made by the instructor regarding his or her having fought or defended themselves. Keep in mind that the OP states that competition does not count and refers to an instructor who has never fought outside of competition or sparring in the gym. So a champion MMA competitor who has never been in a "street fight" would fall into this category.

Having had some practical experience outside of the ring and outside of the dojo, I can pick out techniques that are unrealistic and/or for show/competition only from those that have actual practical application. That is more important to me than the instructor's street record because I cannot verify street record.

My question to you is whether or not you consider competition or tournament fighting to count, including MMA tournament fighting, to be fighting/defending one's self.

Daniel

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think a martial arts instructor needs to have "street cred" to teach a martial art any more than I'd expect a boxing trainer would need it.

I've had instructors who claimed to have had it (he also had some rather absurd rank claims so the fight claims might not be true), and instructors who freely admitted never having been in a real fight since taking up martial arts, I've learned from all of them.

Now, if someone is teaching a strictly real world self defense class I'd expect them to either have a decent amount of personal experience OR have observed and studied real life encounters. Maybe that seems like splitting hairs to some, but it makes sense to me. :)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan Inosanto would say to look for the instructor that can teach the concepts to you.

His father introduced him to a lot of instructors and encouraged him to look for the person that can translate the techniques in a meaningful way.

Instead of looking for the best fighter, seek out the best teacher.

Sometimes we get lucky and find both in one person.

Latest Discussions