American Kenpo Techniques...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
As a former (I don't know, it's hard-wired) wrestler, I have real problems with this technique. Why go for the far base leg after parrying/blocking the right-hand strike?

I did this textbook for my test, but honestly, the lead leg is the logical target. Block, plant shoulder in the solar plexus, and sweep the heel of the LEFT lead leg instead. Adapt or graft techniques like bowing to buddha or get an achilles lock instead of those minor strikes to the inner thigh. This was one particular technique that I think EP got wrong due to his lack of experience with other ground systems. One of the few.
If you get him in mid step through, he is in a horse stance; so, Maybe your not getting the idea yourself. :asian:
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
As a former (I don't know, it's hard-wired) wrestler, I have real problems with this technique. Why go for the far base leg after parrying/blocking the right-hand strike?

I did this textbook for my test, but honestly, the lead leg is the logical target. Block, plant shoulder in the solar plexus, and sweep the heel of the LEFT lead leg instead. Adapt or graft techniques like bowing to buddha or get an achilles lock instead of those minor strikes to the inner thigh. This was one particular technique that I think EP got wrong due to his lack of experience with other ground systems. One of the few.
And even if he doesn't step through and you naturaly moved up the circle, he would be in a horse stance. :asian:
Sean

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
That is correct. It can be a step through punch but you have to get in there, strike the groin to cause the leg to negate the step through. Otherwise you are in a predicament where this might not be the best tech to execute.
Sean

You are anticipating the step through at this point? Doing that is dangerous. Wouldn't it be better to use a new set of rules for the altered position of the opponent on the attack. If you blaze through this with the intention of beating his step through with your step through the average practitioner will get caught with the leg to the groin. This ( I think?) is what some people have trouble with. Remember different skill levels and different understanding of the Systemic rules, or anatomical rules for that matter. See the thread "Reading Parker's II" for more on anticipatory moves and such.... Just my two cents...
:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try it against a left jab, right cross combination. Right hand responds as in Circling Fans (or parries or traps or blocks), then your left hand picks up the right.

Think about the opponent in a boxer's stance, NOT a right leg BACK, left Neutral Bow. The technique works against what I call, a more conventional street attack. It is only Kenpo guys dummying, who throw a punch and end up turned sideways (to protect the groin) ... Try to bring some life into it, and it can be effective and fun. If the opponent's legs are squared up, you get a nice (not minor) knee strike as you check his leg ... or on a big opponent, the knee can lift their leg and assist getting it up to the left hand, as verses the more Ideal Phase high low left hand pull, right elbow strike (push).

-Michael

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sumdumguy said:
You are anticipating the step through at this point? Doing that is dangerous. Wouldn't it be better to use a new set of rules for the altered position of the opponent on the attack. If you blaze through this with the intention of beating his step through with your step through the average practitioner will get caught with the leg to the groin. This ( I think?) is what some people have trouble with. Remember different skill levels and different understanding of the Systemic rules, or anatomical rules for that matter. See the thread "Reading Parker's II" for more on anticipatory moves and such.... Just my two cents...
I didn't say beat his step through with mine, I said beat it with the reverse sword hand to the groin. :asian:
sean

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
We are obviously not on the same page here, nor do I feel that we will ever be..... enjoy your Tech's however it is that you do them...
:idunno:

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

DarK LorD
Stated with your usual amount of condecension and lack of explanation. If one of EPKs principles is economy of motion, then why go for the far leg when the heel grab and takedown are much closer for the near leg? You can just as easily check the arm across the body as risk a returning elbow strike and/or guillotine choke the conventional way. Please enlighten me.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
And even if he doesn't step through and you naturaly moved up the circle, he would be in a horse stance. :asian:
Sean

Maybe I learned the technique differently than you--I wasn't aware that there's a step-through in the textbook attack. I learned it as a reverse punch, right leg back. If it's a true reverse punch, then he'll have to be in an engaged forward bow position. With the block, I can continue to check his right hand across the body, then plant my left in his hip (he's way off balance now) and I can do a single-leg on the lead.

It's just my opinion. I'll retract the "I think EPK was wrong" statement, just because it sounds like sacrilege and hubris. I would just do something different, since the technique never mixed well with my personal style. Which I thought kenpo was all about.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
Stated with your usual amount of condecension and lack of explanation. If one of EPKs principles is economy of motion, then why go for the far leg when the heel grab and takedown are much closer for the near leg? You can just as easily check the arm across the body as risk a returning elbow strike and/or guillotine choke the conventional way. Please enlighten me.
Only your perceptions of the art, maybe you haven't contrasted your ideas with how others do this particular technique and why.

DarK LorD

Latest Discussions