American Kenpo Techniques...

OP
B

Big Guy

Yes you can go in to many things all it does is show you all the things you can do and what if's. WE would all use different things. But you have to learn it all to play with a full deck. In Dance just use your right knee to pop his right leg up and out of the way to stop his foot from getting between your legs

OP
B

Big Guy

The way I do the technique is I step in left neutral, with a left inward block rotating into a modified neutral delivering a backfist or hammerfist to the mid-section, preferably the groin. Left hand stays in check then contours down the back as I do a right knee to the inside of their right thigh causing it to move outside of my center line and w/ the knee strike it brings their right leg up to my hand so I don't have to bend as much. As I do this I deliver a right forearm strike to their solarplexes or pectorial area. As they fall to the ground on their back my left hand maintains control of their right leg by hanging on their ankle and wrapping their toes around my left hip, pinning it to my hip w/ my left hand and putting pressure on their right knee w/ my right leg in a cross stance. At this point I can end the technique by breaking their knee. But if I choose I can continue w/ the standard technique of the backfist to the calf and finger whip to the groin. As most people consider the extension an extension it is actually the original technique. Up to this point all we have done is a take down w/o getting an unintentional kick to our groin. Thank you for Listening to my Mouth.:soapbox: :eek:

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey,
Triggered sounds good to me. Post this one armed tech up and lets rip it apart.
Mace :asian:

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now I know that dance of death is written with the right leg back and I'm also able to do it with the leg forward, but my question is would you do this tech with the leg forward and is it necessary to learn it that way. You will either be forced into a twist stance to get around the leg or try and drive through the leg where you could crunch your own groin with their foot on the takedown. Now wouldn't it be better for the student to explore grafting rather than force one tech that isn't suited for the attack?
Mace

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I know that book version lands a foot in the cookies with the leg forward, but what I'm curious about is how far will you go to pull the tech off when you have other options available that might be easier to do and equally as effective. Circling the horizon in reverse fits here if the legs forward and you initially go to the groin, which leads into or is initially flashing wings. So is it necessary to learn the "book" modifications to pull this tech off in the "what if" phase if there are so many other, more readily accessable, options?

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Big guy,
I definitely like the knee strike to the knee or thigh to cancel the groin shot (to self), but have you ever tried instead jamming the opponent with a forearm into the armpit to lift your opponent and lighten the legs and then a forearm strike downward to the sternum/ solar plexis as you sweep the leg? It devastating and cancels the self groin shot worry.
Just a thought
Mace

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cool, so its basically book version with areas of expansion. I like the foot/knee work on the opponent!
Mace

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Gou,
Are you going to post up the details for Triggered Salute?
Just curious?
Mace

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob_Broad said:
I have always loved Dance of Death, but I prefer to stomp to the groin instead of the handsword. You are also in position at this point to flip the attacker over to go into the extension.
How you gonna stomp the groin when you have your opponent's butt up on your knee?
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Big Guy said:
Dance of Death as the book say is not Dance of Death it is the take Down. If you do it the way the BOOK says you may get a foot some place you do not want! :D
If you do it the way the book says there is no foot to worry about. :asian:
Sean

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Didn't we do dance of Death on another thread? I know we did becuase I said something about the whole leg and foot in the cookies thing..... but....
:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sumdumguy said:
Didn't we do dance of Death on another thread? I know we did becuase I said something about the whole leg and foot in the cookies thing..... but....
I thought I would rehash an old thread, and, of course, comment. :uhyeah:
Sean

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alright I snagged this from Paul Woods site, thank you Paul Woods.

this will give us the same version of the technique to at least start the inquisition.... here it is according to Mr. Woods site.

DANCE OF DEATH (front straight right punch)
this is the first problem, no clarification of opponents position before or after the punch.

1. Standing naturally, step forward and to your left to 11 o'clock (into a left neutral bow) with your left foot (to get out of the line of attack). Simultaneously strike to the outside of opponent's right punch with your left inward block as your right arm rests and hangs naturally to the right of your body.
2. With your left hand still guarding (with a left bracing angle), strike to the opponent's groin with a right upward vertical reverse hand sword while pivoting into a left forward bow.
3. Immediately step through and to your left to 10 o'clock into a right neutral bow with your right foot (to buckle opponent's right knee) as your right elbow strikes horizontally and into opponent's right ribcage while your left hands grabs back of opponent's right knee and pulls toward you so that your left hand grab concludes the grab (after sliding along the leg) at your opponent's right ankle.

let the whoopla begin.... Keep it clean and fun lol....

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sumdumguy said:
1. Standing naturally, step forward and to your left to 11 o'clock (into a left neutral bow) with your left foot (to get out of the line of attack). Simultaneously strike to the outside of opponent's right punch with your left inward block as your right arm rests and hangs naturally to the right of your body.
2. With your left hand still guarding (with a left bracing angle), strike to the opponent's groin with a right upward vertical reverse hand sword while pivoting into a left forward bow.
3. Immediately step through and to your left to 10 o'clock into a right neutral bow with your right foot (to buckle opponent's right knee) as your right elbow strikes horizontally and into opponent's right ribcage while your left hands grabs back of opponent's right knee and pulls toward you so that your left hand grab concludes the grab (after sliding along the leg) at your opponent's right ankle.

let the whoopla begin.... Keep it clean and fun lol....
That's a big transition from 11:00 left neutral bow to 10:00 right neutral bow, but it makes sense to me. It would continue pushing the opponent back. I've seen some students do a single switch step from left to right bow around the leg rather than moving forward with the step through. Would there be a reason why a single switch may be more preferable than a step through?

- Ceicei

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
That's a big transition from 11:00 left neutral bow to 10:00 right neutral bow, but it makes sense to me. It would continue pushing the opponent back. I've seen some students do a single switch step from left to right bow around the leg rather than moving forward with the step through. Would there be a reason why a single switch may be more preferable than a step through?

- Ceicei
The strike to the groin is to be completed before the step through is completed. The leg is not supposed to be there to work around.
Sean

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, TOD you are executing the tek with the opponents right leg back? Specifically right! We have to clarify this for everyone to understand why you keep insisting the leg is not there.

[qoute]ceici
[/quote]

This is where the exact position and attack of the opponent comes into play. Conceptual vs finite. Your method will work and does work with the opponent executing a step-through punch. The original version (no step-through) uses the angel from 11 to 10 to align ourselves properly with the opponent for the follow up strikes after the take down.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sumdumguy said:
So, TOD you are executing the tek with the opponents right leg back? Specifically right! We have to clarify this for everyone to understand why you keep insisting the leg is not there.

[qoute]ceici

This is where the exact position and attack of the opponent comes into play. Conceptual vs finite. Your method will work and does work with the opponent executing a step-through punch. The original version (no step-through) uses the angel from 11 to 10 to align ourselves properly with the opponent for the follow up strikes after the take down.
:asian:[/QUOTE]That is correct. It can be a step through punch but you have to get in there, strike the groin to cause the leg to negate the step through. Otherwise you are in a predicament where this might not be the best tech to execute.
Sean

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
As a former (I don't know, it's hard-wired) wrestler, I have real problems with this technique. Why go for the far base leg after parrying/blocking the right-hand strike?

I did this textbook for my test, but honestly, the lead leg is the logical target. Block, plant shoulder in the solar plexus, and sweep the heel of the LEFT lead leg instead. Adapt or graft techniques like bowing to buddha or get an achilles lock instead of those minor strikes to the inner thigh. This was one particular technique that I think EP got wrong due to his lack of experience with other ground systems. One of the few.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
This was one particular technique that I think EP got wrong due to his lack of experience with other ground systems. One of the few.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

DarK LorD

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

DarK LorD

Oh, feel free to chime in and say absolutely nothing anytime you want there Clyde.
:CTF:

Latest Discussions