Already a Black belt?

OP
S

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think what prompted us to have a bit of fun with this thread is that we're not too hung up on belts and ranks here. In other words, very few of us care about rank. We're mostly mature adults who train because we love it, not because we love rank.

You walked in and more or less said "I'm a black belt, are you?" and left it at that. What did you think was going to happen? Did you think that was going to give you instant street credibility?

I had a black belt 15 years ago. Had to stop training. Now I'm back and started all over again just over two years ago. Doesn't make me a better person nor worse person. Doesn't make me a better or worse karateka than anyone else.
Hey, thanks for the explanation, I don't care about rank either. I love what I do and I will stand for what I do.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the explanation, I don't care about rank either. I love what I do and I will stand for what I do.
You don't care about rank yet the first thing you did on here was tell us you're a black belt and didn't say anything else....hmmm

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a new member on this site where it says that I am a white belt.
The "belt rank" system here on MT is simply an entertaining and subject-specific way to gauge how many posts have been made by any given user. It doesn't rate martial skill. It doesn't even rate ability to post, never mind quality of posts. Just the ability to click a "post now" button.

I look forward to meeting you all
I'm in the U.S. Planning on travel? ;)

You're fortunate. I was about to bust out the tired old joke, "You're in Australia? I know someone there. Do you know them?" :D

As for the "I'm a Black Belt" thing, well, yeah what they all said above. I've got a couple of those black dyed pieces of cloth. I had to work hard to get them but, well, it wasn't magic. I've known any number of people with similar looking pieces of cloth who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag if they were equipped with a pair of scissors, an instruction book, and an assistant. I've known people who didn't have one of those pieces of cloth who were total, flat-out, fighting machines. Show me your skill (or knowledge) instead of your belt. One impresses me, the other doesn't. <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train in Karate, GKR to be specific where I earned my first dan black belt. However, I am a new member on this site where it says that I am a white belt.
I also train in Taekwondo, and Hapkido where I have only just started out.

I look forward to meeting you all,

Brmty2002.

As I expect you have figured out, the assigning of a belt rand has to do with the number of posts.

Are you at a school that teaches Karate, Taekwondo, and Hapkido, or do you study at more than one school? How do you think you are doing training in all three?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost bought some suspenders last fall. That was when I realized that I was beyond being like my dad and I was dressing like my grandfather

Reading that through British eyes it comes out very weird :D, here ladies wear suspenders to hold up their stockings ( those old fashioned things that men like to see so much :smuggrin:) gentlemen wear braces to keep their trousers up, if they are pessimists they wear a belt as well hence the expression when you are being very careful 'it's a belt and braces situation'.

I now have visions of your family dressing like they were in the Rocky Horror show......:D
(or like lumberjacks.)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading that through British eyes it comes out very weird :D, here ladies wear suspenders to hold up their stockings ( those old fashioned things that men like to see so much :smuggrin:) gentlemen wear braces to keep their trousers up, if they are pessimists they wear a belt as well hence the expression when you are being very careful 'it's a belt and braces situation'.

I now have visions of your family dressing like they were in the Rocky Horror show......:D
(or like lumberjacks.)
Is this where we start talking about lift/elevator, torch/flashlight, and follow up with a discussion about pants before we all end up laughing hysterically about two nations separated by a common language?

I love those. After that can we move on to differences between cursing?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this where we start talking about lift/elevator, torch/flashlight, and follow up with a discussion about pants before we all end up laughing hysterically about two nations separated by a common language?

I love those. After that can we move on to differences between cursing?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

We can discuss that if you like lol, I was trying to lighten the atmosphere, had enough of heavy threads.
When I started karate I only wanted five belts, one each for the arms, one each for the legs and one for a blindfold..................

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

(or like lumberjacks.)

Sounds like the basis for a Monty Python skit.
Kirk

its not always i can respond to two posts with one reply ...but when i can ,,, i sing the lumber jack song.

OP
S

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As I expect you have figured out, the assigning of a belt rand has to do with the number of posts.

Are you at a school that teaches Karate, Taekwondo, and Hapkido, or do you study at more than one school? How do you think you are doing training in all three?

I train at three different schools, GKR for Karate, Seon Do Kwan, for Taekwondo and Bushido Martial Arts for Hapkido. all in Adelaide Australia. Yes you all read that correctly, I am Australian.

Now I would greatly appreciate it to quit giving me s**t about what I do :)

Thank you,

Brmty2002

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train at three different schools, GKR for Karate, Seon Do Kwan, for Taekwondo and Bushido Martial Arts for Hapkido. all in Adelaide Australia. Yes you all read that correctly, I am Australian.

Thank you,

Brmty2002

My question was what do you think are advantages or disadvantages, if any, to studying 3 different martial arts at the same time. While I am at it, are you belted in all three arts? That would be an accomplishment.

I don't know what you mean about harassing you about what you do. I haven't. The closest I have seen is commenting on your opening post. It would seem rather terse to many of us. It did not me anyway. But I didn't comment on it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The closest I have seen is commenting on your opening post. It would seem rather terse to many of us.

It was terse and uninformative. it didn't leave us anything to discuss so we made up our own conversation, frivolous maybe but we were communicating with each other, humour lightens the atmosphere and makes threads less combative.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you all read that correctly, I am Australian.
We've got a number of Australian members who are active in this forum.

I don't believe anyone is giving you s**t. Oftheherd1 was just trying to ask some questions to get a conversation started, since your original post was so terse that it gave nothing to discuss. (This is why some people were making random jokes in the thread - what else was there to say?)

You might want to start over with a post in the "Meet and Greet" subforum. Something like:

"Hi, I'm Brmty2002, from Adelaide, Australia. I've been practicing martial arts for x years, I've earned my black belt in GKR karate which I am still studying, but I have expanded my studies to include TKD and Hapkido, which I have been doing for x period of time. I enjoy training for reasons x, y, and z and am looking forward to discussing various topics with you guys."

After that, a bunch of us usually jump in to say "Welcome to MartialTalk" and maybe ask some questions about your background. Then you can go on and participate in different conversations and we'll have an idea of where your perspective is coming from.

BTW - the membership here ranges from people who are just starting out to folks who are high level instructors in multiple systems. Just saying "I'm a black belt" doesn't mean much (especially without information on what that black belt is in.) Once we know you, then we have reason to care when you achieve a promotion which is meaningful to you. Your original post was sort of like walking up to somebody you don't know in the park and saying "I'm a black belt" and then just walking off. It's hard to know how to respond to that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your original post was sort of like walking up to somebody you don't know in the park and saying "I'm a black belt" and then just walking off. It's hard to know how to respond to that.

You say.

"Yeah but are you a 4 stripe white belt?"

OP
S

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lets try this again.
Hi, I'm Brmty2002, from Adelaide, Australia. I've been practicing martial arts for 6 years, I've earned my black belt in GKR karate which I am still studying, but I have expanded my studies to include TKD and Hapkido, which I have been doing for 3 weeks now. I enjoy training for my fitness, knowing how to self defend and making new friends and am looking forward to discussing various topics with you guys.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets try this again.
Hi, I'm Brmty2002, from Adelaide, Australia. I've been practicing martial arts for 6 years, I've earned my black belt in GKR karate which I am still studying, but I have expanded my studies to include TKD and Hapkido, which I have been doing for 3 weeks now. I enjoy training for my fitness, knowing how to self defend and making new friends and am looking forward to discussing various topics with you guys.

Welcome, but sorry we have already met our quota for Aussies

canstock33619809.jpg

Just kidding ;)

Latest Discussions