Aikijujitsu and Pressure Points

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes clothing can help you though...people always question the effectivness of judo without a gi on...well, i'll tell you something...i live in northern minnesota and most of the year people are wearing a lot heavier clothing than a judogi...everybody wears all these nice heavy winter jackes that just scream....THROW ME!!!

A

auxprix

I also think that an experienced Judoka could generate enough momentum by gripping a tee-shirt without ripping it. They could, therefore, do most of the throws gi-free. Make no mistake though, it is difficult. I've done a bit of gi free training, and wish that I had the opportunity to do a little more.

BigNick, I train at Midway Judo in St. Paul. Are you coming to our shiai in September? It's the Land of lakes Tourney.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You never know...I know some members of my club have went down there...I'm not sure what the name of the tournament was....it'd be nice to get to another shiai...I won't know until closer to the tournament...i'm a poor college student...and tournament money somtimes slips down the list of the necessities...though somehow it usually finds itself towards the top of the wants...

also i've been focusing on taekwondo recently, especially this summer...i'm gearing up for a possible black belt test in december...so that's where my attention wanders to now...although my sensei has been prodding me to take a rank test in judo as well...as i explained in another post...a lot of the time students at my dojo end up studying jujitsu...my instructor is 4th dan judo, 5th dan jujitsu...so it just kind of naturally happens this way...so we practice both equally...but our judo rank slips behind compared to jujitsu...i've been a rokyu(yellow belt) for over a year...and i know people that have been actively practicing and stayed at gokyu(orange) for over two years...although one just tested for yonkyu

thanks for mentioning it though...i'll keep it in mind

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
How many of you actively use Pressure points while doing Aikijujitsu or just jujitsu and do you actively point them out, I do as it has really aproved my Aiki.

PPKO :EG: :mad: :waah:

In Hakko-ryu and Takagi Yoshin-ryu that my sensei taught, pressure points and kyusho jutsu are used very often, mostly in form of thumb presses against certain nerves and places where vital organs are relatively close to the skin surface.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pressure points are used both where I train Ju jutsu and Wado karate. In JJ it is mostly about getting getting the best lock possible while wado teaches it mainly as part of striking and grabbing to greater effect.

(Edit) Interesting topic by the way. I guess that since we are not all built alike not all pressure points will affect all to the same degree. Having a high treshold of pain or being intoxicated will also limit how some PPs affect you. If you rely on pressure point pain to control someone in a real situation you`d better have a backup plan like another grip, striking or breaking the limb.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
auxprix said:
What do you guys think of this:

I once had a sensei (not my current) who was well versed in Aikido as well as Judo. He would sometimes teach us some of the pressure points. One day, a few college football players came into class. One was a receiver (I think) and the other was a lineman. Naturally, the Lineman was a bit fatter. The sensei demonstrated some PPs on the arms. He first did it to a receiver, who hit the ground right away. Then he attempted it on the Lineman, but couldn't get it to work.

He tried and tried, but eventually gave up. He said that it was difficult to use PPs on people who have excess fat, because it cushions the nerves.

My question is: Has anyone else experienced this? I want to know if this guy was just making excuses.

Pressure points are NOT universally effective, but they can, in MOST cases, provide a new depth of ability and layer of options in all that you do.

Your Brother
John

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you have to look at people like they are on a bell curve especially when you are discussing PP's. Some people are more sensitive on certain points but not so much on others, and vice versa. Every situation that you can think of can happen, best advise take what presents itself and don't fish for moves or points

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sensei said that certain pressure points techniques will always works, some others don't. Those which always works includes: thumbs to inguinal canals and thumbs to armpit. What do you think?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
Sensei said that certain pressure points techniques will always works, some others don't. Those which always works includes: thumbs to inguinal canals and thumbs to armpit. What do you think?

If your sensei said this then it probably is true. I`ve never trained with those points. However I would consider the possibility of exceptions like people on drugs.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
While all points work on all people the effects are not the same, it may really hurt one persone but the next person just takes it as an anoyance while either way it still sets them up you always have people that can take certain techniques this is especially true when you are in the heat of a moment

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
ah I see now. So it doesn't matter whether the opponent screams in pain or simply get distracted. because the idea was to distract, and if the opponent are hurt, it's much better. am I correct?

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
ah I see now. So it doesn't matter whether the opponent screams in pain or simply get distracted. because the idea was to distract, and if the opponent are hurt, it's much better. am I correct?
the thing to always remember don't stop until your opponent does if the technique does not work hit them again until they stop fighting the point is not to distract your opponent but to come out the victor and alive that is the point as I see it. What style do you practice

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice.

I study Wado-ryu karate, like Cirdan :)

But I also study Jujutsu. Here is my videoclip doing Jujutsu

www.geocities.com/gbi_club/denny_action.zip

(right click, save as. If server too busy, try again within 10 mins)

I am sure those throws and locks of Jujutsu will be much easier to do with additions of pressure points attacks, yes? If you look closely at my sankaku jime clip, I activate the pressure point under uke's jaw to set him up to the position I wanted him to be. what do you think?

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
Thank you for the advice.

I study Wado-ryu karate, like Cirdan :)

But I also study Jujutsu. Here is my videoclip doing Jujutsu

www.geocities.com/gbi_club/denny_action.zip

(right click, save as. If server too busy, try again within 10 mins)

I am sure those throws and locks of Jujutsu will be much easier to do with additions of pressure points attacks, yes? If you look closely at my sankaku jime clip, I activate the pressure point under uke's jaw to set him up to the position I wanted him to be. what do you think?
nice clips, and yes the addition of PP's will help you out in jujitsu, as well as any other art.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the encouragements! I am small, so attacking pain points is sometimes the only way to go :)

Off course, what I know about pain points in Jujutsu is very superficial! That's why I go to this forum, to learn more from more knowledgeable people. Like yourself :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice clips :)

The pressure points in the arms can be very useful for gaining an edge when executing throws too.

Wado and ju jutsu is a great combination to train in:karate:

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
We use pressure points in the art I train in, we use pressing and striking the points depending on the situation. Most of our pressure point background came through Hakko Ryu. My wife does not feel any pressure points (she will just stare at you), she is unusual in that she feels no pain in joint manipulations either (pressure but no pain). She trains hard and has learned to "go with the technique" to keep from damaging joints. I have also learned to be careful with pressure points, when dealing with PP you can actually affect people BEYOND just causing pain. I trained with a very high ranking Hakko Ryu instructor and he knocked me out by striking the back of my leg! I have also heard stories of intense PP training causing "the runs" and other adverse side affects.
FUN, FUN

Darrell Collins
Kamishinkan Dojo

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Kamishinkan, I study Hakko-ryu as well. I am amazed that your wife does not feel any pain when you apply joint lock. You mean, she wasn't even feel any pain from Nidan-Gi Ayadori, Nidan-Gi Mune Osaedori etc? This I must see! She must have very high tolerance of pain, or very flexible joints.

Latest Discussions