Aikijujitsu and Pressure Points

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Nice clips :)

The pressure points in the arms can be very useful for gaining an edge when executing throws too.

Wado and ju jutsu is a great combination to train in:karate:

Yes Cirdan, that is very true, wado and jujutsu is very good combination, in fact my sensei said that wado is already jujutsu, also the 2nd grandmaster said that wado is both wado-ryu karate and wado-ryu jujutsu kenpo, as he said in his website www.wado-ryu.jp

so you are already learning two arts with the price of one ;)

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to respond. I was out of town for the weekend!

It's true my wife will just look at you! I have done several severe joint locks, (in Kamishin Ryu we do not use the Hakko Ryu names) and have had her say "that feels wierd, I can feel my joint seperating" (never in formal class though). I usually will throw her down in class and do the classic Kote Gaeshi hold down with the foot and she just stares at you, (this KILLS everyone else I know). She can pin her fingers back on her arm, VERY flexible joints. The problem is that the pain is designed to warn you of impending damage to the joint. She feels nothing but pressure on the joint and she knows that it is about to break, just no pain. I have taught her that she will feel tremendous pain if her joint gets broken so she has learned to let the pressure come slightly to the joint then "go with" the pressure to keep from damage. She is rare, I have only seen 2 people like her since I have been teaching. As far as the pressure points, she does not feel them either. Although she is rare, you never know when you will face someone like her so I feel that pressure points should be only used in conjunction with other solid technique. We use pressure points only as an "aid" to the technique.

Darrell Collins
Kamishinkan Dojo

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
well it's both a blessing and a curse to have such flexible joints. Blessing because it will help her in executing kaeshiwaza (reversing aiki joint locks). A curse because she will never know when damage starts accumulating. I hope you train wisely. Anyway, I respect all woman who takes their martial arts training seriously, and your wife is surely one of them! :)

So, what's the structure of your Kamishin aiki jujutsu? Do you use Aikido-like terms like ikkyo etc? And at which rank will you start learning pressure points/kyushojutsu?

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes my wife trains hard. She trained up until a week before our first son was born and she is 6 mos pregnant now and still trains (very restricted, mostly forms and structured partner training).
As far as our Aikijujutsu training. Kamishin Ryu is organized very similar to Hakko Ryu in that it has Shodan, Nidan, etc waza lists. These lists are relatively short lists (usually 15-25 techniques per list) plus each techniques variations and different applications. We do not use the Aikido (or Aikijujutsu) style Ikkajo or Ikkyo. Our first technique is called Kamishin Shomei Odori then Kote Shomei Odori, Te Hana Odori, etc. Each name is given as a sort of identifier of the technique layout or underlying principle.
As far as PP training it begins roughly around the Gokyu step. Basic pressure point assists to the locking technique, usually at this point for pinning techniques. Usually Sankyu level we get into the beginnings of striking PP techniques. These levels are the basic levels, at times a lower student may be shown a technique involving PP, but the deeper explanations are skipped until the student is more proficient.
Kamishin Ryu does not go as deeply into the PP/Meridian training as does Hakko Ryu. From what I have seen of Hakko Ryu it is a fundemental part of the training, in Kamishin Ryu it is more of a "helping assist" to the waza.

Darrell Collins
Kamishinkan Dojo

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Darrel,

Thank you for the Kamishin-ryu descriptions. Sounds very hakko-ryu-ish :) Whaddya say if I start a new thread where you and I could describe our arts & note the similarities and differences, for the benefit of all these good people here at MartialTalk? Sounds good?