Aikijujitsu and Pressure Points

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you actively use Pressure points while doing Aikijujitsu or just jujitsu and do you actively point them out, I do as it has really aproved my Aiki.

PPKO :EG: :mad: :waah:

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
How many of you actively use Pressure points while doing Aikijujitsu or just jujitsu and do you actively point them out, I do as it has really aproved my Aiki.

PPKO :EG: :mad: :waah:
I am just about to start Jujitsu, but we do work on pressure points at my current Dojo (which incorporates TKD, Grappling, Ground Fighting etc). We learn a series of points for each belt and learn how to strike them, we also brake down Hyungs (patterns), Locks etc and learn what points we are working on.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
I am just about to start Jujitsu, but we do work on pressure points at my current Dojo (which incorporates TKD, Grappling, Ground Fighting etc). We learn a series of points for each belt and learn how to strike them, we also brake down Hyungs (patterns), Locks etc and learn what points we are working on.

Very cool Sarah ask your instructor about the pressure points that release the neck as that is really cool

PPKO:EG: :mad: :waah:

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
Very cool Sarah ask your instructor about the pressure points that release the neck as that is really cool

Will do, we have worked on one on the neck but that was for a strike, we are only just beginning to work on locks (I have only been training for a year). But im sure we will be working on that more at the Jujitsu Club I am starting with this week, I am really looking forward to it.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
One of George Dillmans earliest tapes is was on grappling with pressure points. It had some great ideas.
Others will disagree with me but all of Georges' Tapes are very good and I consider them a vital part of my training.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Will do, we have worked on one on the neck but that was for a strike, we are only just beginning to work on locks (I have only been training for a year). But im sure we will be working on that more at the Jujitsu Club I am starting with this week, I am really looking forward to it.
Was it St9, St10, LI18 or another one

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
Was it St9, St10, LI18 or another one

Unsure which one, we only just touched on it, (may have been LI18 or TW17??)

Strike with slightly downward force, just past side of neck under scull, gives a tingling sensation when taped hard enough. Obviously we dont do with force.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
Others will disagree with me but all of Georges' Tapes are very good and I consider them a vital part of my training.

Would anyone have a link to check out these tapes??

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
You beat me to it George is sometimes in New Zealand keep watch on his website under seminars and he will have it posted

PPKO:EG: :ticked: :waah:
Thanks for that.
He looks familiar, does he belong to any other organisations that you know of?

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Thanks for that.
He looks familiar, does he belong to any other organisations that you know of?

No George doesn't, he is the founder of DKI (Dillman Karate International) you should try his books they are also very helpfull

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
No George doesn't, he is the founder of DKI (Dillman Karate International) you should try his books they are also very helpfull

Now I know where I have seen him before, my first Instrustor is a 6dan BB in Ryukyu Kempo under George Dillman.:ultracool

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Now I know where I have seen him before, my first Instrustor is a 6dan BB in Ryukyu Kempo under George Dillman.:ultracool
who was your 1st instructor and why don't you train with them anymore

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do use pressure points in my jujitsu...even during my judo...not during shiai...but I take my judo through my college and the instructor is a 4th dan in judo and 5th dan in jujitsu...so almost everyone that starts taking judo from him ends up learning jujitsu...some stay with judo, some focus more on the jujitsu...but to get back to my point..no one else in our judo organization does this...and i've been going to the main dojo for the summer and we were working on the goshin jutsu kata, and in the defense from a rear choke hold my uke was being awfuly stubborn, so instead of going for the standard escape, I "augmented" it slightly by striking the pressure point between the metacarpals on the back of the hand. His response was along the lines of, "OW! ...oh yeah...your one of (Sensei) Cruff's students aren't you...". I found it interesting to be identified by a technique i used...and it worked too...

A

auxprix

What do you guys think of this:

I once had a sensei (not my current) who was well versed in Aikido as well as Judo. He would sometimes teach us some of the pressure points. One day, a few college football players came into class. One was a receiver (I think) and the other was a lineman. Naturally, the Lineman was a bit fatter. The sensei demonstrated some PPs on the arms. He first did it to a receiver, who hit the ground right away. Then he attempted it on the Lineman, but couldn't get it to work.

He tried and tried, but eventually gave up. He said that it was difficult to use PPs on people who have excess fat, because it cushions the nerves.

My question is: Has anyone else experienced this? I want to know if this guy was just making excuses.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think he was making excuses at all...some people just dont' react to certain pressure points which is what can make them a risky technique...when they work...they work spectacular...when they don't, you're in trouble if you don't have a follow up plan. As for myself, I've found that quite a few pressure points don't bother me, Was the pressure point you are talking about on the forearm...because that one doesn't bother me at all, neither does the one where the ears/jaw meet..and thanks to my training some other ones are beginning to lose their effectiveness because i've become accustomed to them...they still hurt...but if i know it's coming i can stand my ground. As for excess fat cushioning nerves...yes...it can and so can muscle...everybody is different and peoples reaction to and the effectiveness of the same attack won't always be the same, the same goes for joint locks...i know more than one guy that can take there palm and lay it flat on their forearm...try a wristlock on one of these guys and they'll be grinning from ear to ear as they pummel you...

D

Disco

Agree totally with bignick. I too happen to be one of those persons that many PP techs don't work on. There also is another factor which instructors and students overlook, clothing. Depending upon where one lives and the season, certain clothing eliminates using PP's. My personal opinion on techniques is that if there are restrictions applicable, then it's not worth doing. It may seem like a great technique in training with a willing partner, but if done to someone untrained, whatever the reason, and it dosen't work as outlined, your in trouble in the real world. Now I know what some will say, you must be prepared to do a followup technique. You have already lost time and the element of surprise, what if the followup tech dosen't work either?
Just some food for thought. :uhyeah: