AGe for joint locks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your TKD school does joint locks or throw at what age do you start to teach these techs. and what is the pro's and con's for doing it at that age?
Terry

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this should be left to kids 13 and above (and i think that is too young) if not older. Kids can get seriously hurt especially when it comes to joint locks. I think with lil kids control is the major issue.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem with them learning at a young age is they tend to try and force them. This is bad if they try to go against a joint. Typically I try to start them with someone older that can bend and not get hurt. This is safer for them and for the one being thrown. I will normally start all students around age 16, but there are always exceptions. Some can be started as young as 10.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a prehapkido class. It teaches basic throwing, punching, kicking and falling. However, joint locks are not done until at least 14.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right away (but then I am not TKD )

However they do not take them to pain, just isolate the limb, set the position and that is it. No tap out, it's stopped before that.

Danger? I don't know, can't see how it is more dangerous then having them learn to kick at each others heads to be honest...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just starting to teach my 13 year old, but I'm the only one working with him. Don't really want to teach the younger ones yet, until I know they understand what we're doing, why we're doing it, and can control their power.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach them at all ages - it's a part of the curriculum. But, I have mostly adults as students and only a handful of students below age 15.

R. McLain