Explenation of Poomse application

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When and where do you start to teach what every application is from the vary first time you show them the poomse or after they get each and every movement down?
Terry

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a rather new discipline in taekwondo. Actually I haven't got applications for all the moves in the taegeuk so at the moment I show some applications from time to time. In 1-2 years I should have them all and then my students will have to perform them at belttests together with the taegeuk.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach applications after the student has the poomsae learned. I want the student to know which direction they are turning, what stance they are utilizing, etc. and then I can show them what they are doing (application). That helps with the depth of their understanding (IMHO).

Miles

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I teach tuls (ITF patterns) I teach a meaning for each movement - as with Miles, I think that students are better able to remember movements if they understand them. Note that I said a meaning - there is more than one use for every movement in every tul, and while I teach at least one use for each movement, I also encourage my students to find additional uses themselves, and then bring them to me. Some of their uses are not practical, but some of them are quite useful and are applications I never thought of, because when I learned the tul I was given a list of appropriate applications and that was that - my students, having not spent as many years learning that "movement x is intended for applications a, b, and c" are often better than I am at thinking outside the box, and coming up with novel applications.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I was learning a new form it was helpful for me if the application of a specific movement was explained during the course of teaching me the new poomse. This way I could better perform the movement as it was actually intented to be used, be it a kick, punch, block, knifehand strike, etc.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Cali. If I understand the reason for the strike and pattern then it is easier for me to show and perform better.