Adults workouts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How hard do you train your average adult when they first are starting out and when do you change up the training to full speed with them?
What about those who just wants a casual workout how do you train them?
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
How hard do you train your average adult when they first are starting out and when do you change up the training to full speed with them?

I think it depends on the adult. One of the first things I was taught as an instructor is how to read a students conditioning. Push them, but don't floor them. You want them to see improvement, but if you drive them to hard, you risk possibly turning them away or even hurting them. I have yet to see an adult student who decided they wanted to stick with it that couldn't go full out within a few months.

terryl965 said:
Terry

I know running a school makes that an often difficult question, but as things stand now, I wouldn't. There's nothing casual about martial arts. It's not something you can "sorta" be. Again though, this is a stand I may not have the luxury of taking under differwent circumstances. I don't envy those of you that have to ask yourself that question every day.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
My classes can be a bit painful at times. I always haves bruises from training. As a matter of fact, I have three new ones from last night.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

We're pushed hard from the beginning. We get a vigorous workout, at the same time, we are told to do what we can. It's an environment where we are expected to push ourselves....and, pull ourselves back when it is too much. I've had more of an issue with the latter. We are all expected to pass fitness tests every three months. Usually by that time the white belt is ready for promotion.

I can't see them keeping up in our class. It can be rough. However, if someone has a bad knee or a bad back, or is injured our instructors help them work around it.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
At our school the workouts are pretty strenuous but all newbies are told to "Do what they can" and if they cant keep up they are told to "slow down but keep moving, even if it is just slowly jogging on the spot"
Fitness levels soon increase and most are keeping up after three or four weeks.(that is if they attend regularly)

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
How hard do you train your average adult when they first are starting out and when do you change up the training to full speed with them? What about those who just wants a casual workout how do you train them?

In both cases I don't run a special class for their benefit and they're not treated any different than anyone else. I run practice one way and one way only. I realize it's a trial by fire but the ones who want to be here find a way to get through it. The ones who don't, don't. :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

This is why I love private instruction vs. the group setting.

I can work with individual fitness levels and goals, and tailor the program to fit their needs.

So, consequently, my private programs vary from really "hard" training to fairly "light."

I will add, though, that safety is always a number one concern with "hard" training. Injury inhibits the learning process more then it helps.

Paul

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We are careful that new beginners don't receive injuries but we run the class only one way. Of course, no one expects the new students to keep up but we expect them to try.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

If they're a brand new student, I think it would be best to start them off slow. If its something that they've never done before or haven't done in a long time, going slow is best to avoid injury. If they're reasonably in shape, etc. then I may push them a bit more than a complete new student.

Terry

Same as above. People train for different reasons, so unless we're conducting a private training session, where you can tailor the workout to them, I can't short change the others.

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry
I don't change the training because someone is an adult. I go at the pace that they are able to absorb it at. That's pretty much it.
Things 'speed up' when they are able too. First they need to learn the patterns of motion, then get them smooth, THEN once these are down goooood....then speed starts factoring in, not before. I'll tell students to slow down until they have these other qualities down pat.

IF they want something "Casual" then they should probably look for it elsewhere.

Your Brother
John