acrobatic kung fu

J

Josephk

hey, what are the most acrobatic styles of kung fu? i know the northern styles are more acrobatic than the southern, but specifically, which styles?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your looking specifically for acrobatics I would advise looking into some wushu. Wushu is very flashy, very acrobatic and fast. Jet Li is extensivly trained in wushu.

I must add, wushu is not known for its fighting or effectivness in self defense. I'm not saying it isn't usefull, but that simply is not the focus as in some other systems.

7sm

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Wah Lum Praying Mantis is pretty acrobatic, though not nearly as so as Wushu.

OP
J

Josephk

i'm not so much looking for practical self defence, i can get exactly what i need for that from the karate i do, and i also want to try 7star, i just want to do some fun stuff.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Most Praying Mantis styles are pretty fun, but they're practical self-defense too.

If you dont want the practical self defense, then Wushu is the way to go.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you would do well to try 7*. It is deffinatly fun, and quite hard as well. Its challenging and some of the principles will surprise you how they will add to your self defense applications as well.

7sm

OP
R

RHD

Try Eagle Claw/Ying Jow Pai. Very acrobatic but may also give some insight into tuite techniques for your Karate.
Mike

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Ah yeah, I forgot about Eagle Claw.

Eagle Claw is VERY acrobatic. Lots of high jumping and flexibility there.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't say eagle claw is more acrobatic than wushu. Actually I don't think it is even as acrobatic, it is very effective however, if done correctly.

7sm

OP
J

Josephk

i think i'd prefer to do kung fu, rather than wushu, i'm definately going to try 7*, but i'd also like to do a style to improve my movement and agility. thanks for the responses so far by the way

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think your confusing wushu a bit. Modern Wushu is a system of Kung Fu. Kung Fu is a generic term given to all the Chinese Martial Arts and wushu is deffinatly a CMA. I wish you luck in your serach and eventual training.

7sm

OP
J

Josephk

i know what you mean about wushu, i meant that i want to do a style which is a real martial art, not a sport if you know what i mean, no disrespect intended towards wushu tho

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I myself already practice a style of kung fu which even though has some acrobatics in its syllabus we don't actually do because my instructor concentrates on more practical aspects! But a while a go some of us were shown by our instructor the mechanics behind a back flip, going into a handstand, using another person as a guide! But the thing is its quite scary because I was scared of hitting the floor! We really don't do alot of this, but I can do basic cartwheels now but I would like to be able to do 1 handed cartwheels and aerial cartwheels, back extentionsion rolls, and back flips.
However I realise these movements are only for films but they do look amazing and they do require a lot of skill.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinion of flips and such is that the beter you know your body, the better you will be at using it to your advantage in a situation that calls for it. Of course a backflip isnt going to be used in a fight, but havingthat ability may help you yield or avoid a certain attack. Just having the muscle and flexability could add to your advantage.

7sm

Latest Discussions