A serious question to adept martial artists about physical fitness...

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Without actual, tangible credentials, no one is going to put faith in you. Or at least no one in their right mind will. Why do people put faith into what Mike Boyle, Mike Clark, Juan Carlos Santana, et al say? Because they have an actual scientific education from an actual accredited and respected university, have passed certification/board exams, have worked under and alongside high level people within their field, and have proven the results of the work they’ve replicated and the things they’ve developed on their own. And they’ve proven time and time again beyond “I went from lifting X lbs to Y lbs in Z weeks” “all my friends say I’m great” and “I’m destined for greatness.”

As far as any one keeping an open mind about what you’ll teach them, didn’t you say a closed mind is a “virtue” and “incorruptible?”

You’re on another level, I guess. Everyone should keep an open mind about training EXCEPT you.

Got it. Where do I sign up, Mr. Koresh?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you was what Jesus said. I can't be open-minded unless you people would be open-minded to me first. It's the Golden Rule that is taught in four major religions. They call it "reciprocal respect."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly, I prefer rowing over running. Running is not really healthy for the knees, believe it or not. Long-distance running, that is. It's a "ballistic" movement that hits your joints worse than heavy squats.
rowing wears the shoulders out though, so its pick you poison,
I'm weary of getting into a serious discussion with you as it seems you are not actually serious?

but Il try and then see if its worth doing.

you want to build your cardio base for what you expect to have to do. Ticking along at 40 % of mhr for 10 miles is of limited use to a fighter, where what you are likely to need is say five minutes of near flat out cardio, so five minute sprints are more useful to you than five miles. Of course. You can do do five. Miles with a series of sprints built in and get the best of both. or a miles in 200 meter sprints is good with a 100 metres of jogging inbetween

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again -- you're making a claim. SUPPORT IT. What are YOUR credentials. Why should we believe YOU know more than anyone else?

Your credentials are what? Oh you lift weight's. Big deal, no one here is impressed!

I already mentioned my credentials in some previous posts. But I'll go and mention them again now...

1. Competitive powerlifter in my teens. 455-pound deadlift, 405-pound "power" squat, and 275-pound bench press. All at age 17.

2. Last year, I took my squat up from 335 pounds to 405 pounds in two months. Most people would take them at least 6 months to do that. Also, this is a different kind of squat. Olympic-style, with a pause at the bottom, as opposed to powerlifting-style as I did as a teen.

3. I've been in 13 total street fights from elementary school to my early twenties.

4. Boxed for about two months. Beat up a kid a year older than me. I was 14 years old and he was 15, and he was training in boxing for a year. But I'll be fair here... I hit the back of his head, which is a no-no.

5. I once wrote an article to a vertical jumping website that got posted for a week. To be fair, it was taken down because I failed to cite my sources. However, it was posted. That says something.

And most importantly...

6. It's my destiny to become awesome.

No credentials here.

This entire thread feels like a Dunning-Kruger case study.

Yes it does. :)

Frankly Zombacolypse your just a dude who lifts a bit. Not a coach, not really elite, not very informed and so on. That is why you are getting push back here. As mentioned by several people here many martial practitioner's and mma coaches actually understand weight training and have actual certifications. Yet, per your own admission you watched some TV and videos on the internet and your a garage type power lifter and you expect us to take your opinion seriously? If you want to be taken seriously get some credentials, certifications, college degree, etc. Then people might actually take what you say with some credibility.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Your credentials are what? Oh you lift weight's. Big deal, no one here is impressed!

No credentials here.

Yes it does. :)

Frankly Zombacolypse your just a dude who lifts a bit. Not a coach, not really elite, not very informed and so on. That is why you are getting push back here. As mentioned by several people here many martial practitioner's and mma coaches actually understand weight training and have actual certifications. Yet, per your own admission you watched some TV and videos on the internet and your a garage type power lifter and you expect us to take your opinion seriously? If you want to be taken seriously get some credentials, certifications, college degree, etc. Then people might actually take what you say with some credibility.

Formal education is not an option for me. I neither have the money nor the willingness to take out a loan.

But there is one achievable goal that I can aim to: To be the strongest 70-year old man in history. I've already lost the opportunity to exploit the power of youth. I can't be in the Olympics. Not a chance. But to be a strong and healthy 70-year old? I can do that. I know how...

If this forum is still active after my 70th birthday, I'll share what I've learned over the years...

Doug Hepburn, the grandfather of modern powerlifting, challenged the world to exceed his old-man strength. One of his feats is a 400-pound squat at age 70. I can see myself achieving that at that age.

Just wait and see...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Formal education is not an option for me. I neither have the money nor the willingness to take out a loan.

But there is one achievable goal that I can aim to: To be the strongest 70-year old man in history. I've already lost the opportunity to exploit the power of youth. I can't be in the Olympics. Not a chance. But to be a strong and healthy 70-year old? I can do that. I know how...

If this forum is still active after my 70th birthday, I'll share what I've learned over the years...

Doug Hepburn, the grandfather of modern powerlifting, challenged the world to exceed his old-man strength. One of his feats is a 400-pound squat at age 70. I can see myself achieving that at that age.

Just wait and see...
the aging ng process has a much to do with genetics as life style, my friends cant under stand how i a chain smoking junk food eating 58 year old can be in far better physical condition than them. With there diet of brown rice and salad

your just as likely to need one of they motorised buggies to get to the shop as you are to be lifting 400 lbs, particularly if you screw you joints up lifting big now

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Because 90% of a a martial artists physical training come from doing Martial Arts:

-Sparring
-Forms
-Two Man Drills
-Bag Work
-Pad Work
-Rolling

And not lifting weights. The remaining 10% is usually dedicated mostly to skipping and calesthenics, both to build endurance.

Most martial artists aim to be light on their feet (think Bruce Lee not Rocky). To do so usually requires you to maintain a body fat percentage under 15%. For most people, their goals are usually to be lean and cut. Since Martial Arts tends to be mostly a cardio and muscular endurance workout, the resultant physique from extremely vigorous training is usually "lean and athletic" rather than "bulky".

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It does, to a very very VERY limited extent.

To push your punching power or kicking power to new heights, you have to get stronger first before anything else. Strength is the foundation of speed. You won't be able to lift a light weight fast if you're not strong enough to even merely lift it at all.

Actual martial arts training is the icing on the cake. Weight-lifting is the base.

P. S. = To hit hard, velocity must be high.
Timing and Accuracy are more important than Speed and Power.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Timing and Accuracy are more important than Speed and Power.

A ten-year old kid with perfect timing and accuracy can never hope to damage a full-grown truck driver. Size and power is a game changer.

Think of it this way... You take Bruce Lee and pit him against a mere zebra. A ZEBRA. Not a lion, not a tiger, not a polar bear, a ZEBRA. He will lose. Trust me.

The reason why wild animals can kick our butts in a fight is because of strength, size, and durability. NOT timing and accuracy. If the Incredible Hulk existed for real in our world, he'd be the undisputed champion in every combat sport out there.

Since a lot of the people here taint my credentials, let me go ahead and paraphrase what Marc Macyoung once said, a true expert... "Size doesn't matter? Sorry to disappoint you kid, but it does. Strength and size makes a difference in a fight. Bigger guys win."

"Almost all fights are won by those who can eat the most."

~Ando, from Baki the Grappler.

Here's my question to those who disagree with me. Pit Nick Diaz against Brock Lesnar. Who will win?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A ten-year old kid with perfect timing and accuracy can never hope to damage a full-grown truck driver. Size and power is a game changer.

Think of it this way... You take Bruce Lee and pit him against a mere zebra. A ZEBRA. Not a lion, not a tiger, not a polar bear, a ZEBRA. He will lose. Trust me.

The reason why wild animals can kick our butts in a fight is because of strength, size, and durability. NOT timing and accuracy. If the Incredible Hulk existed for real in our world, he'd be the undisputed champion in every combat sport out there.

Since a lot of the people here taint my credentials, let me go ahead and paraphrase what Marc Macyoung once said, a true expert... "Size doesn't matter? Sorry to disappoint you kid, but it does. Strength and size makes a difference in a fight. Bigger guys win."

Here's my question to those who disagree with me. Pit Nick Diaz against Brock Lesnar. Who will win?
Dude, you've now deteriorated into quoting a manga...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

zebra, ?????? the forum has hit a new low in silly comparisons, ok, you find that Bruce lee would most certainly lose tp a pit bull that weighs less than a third of his body weight, and most definitely to a,scorpion if it sneak d up on him

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having gotten trapped in a very boring circumstance with no option to extricate myself, and thinking anything was better than the boredom, I read the rest of this thread. :D

Wow, I think you guys being played! Just my opinion, but I would give the OP credit for expertise in one thing: being able to lead people on to keep them posting long after there was any apparent worthwhile reason to continue to do so. IMHO he's really good at that.

WOW!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having gotten trapped in a very boring circumstance with no option to extricate myself, and thinking anything was better than the boredom, I read the rest of this thread. :D

Wow, I think you guys being played! Just my opinion, but I would give the OP credit for expertise in one thing: being able to lead people on to keep them posting long after there was any apparent worthwhile reason to continue to do so. IMHO he's really good at that.

WOW!
It happens all the time here. Once a thread passes 3 pages, I leave it alone unless I'm bored.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
large rocks, ...
Before my last tournament, I moved a huge rock daily for 3 months. It was a great work out. Today, that rock is still sitting next to my drive way. Whenever I look at it, I hate it. It's just too much weight for me. Someone said that 70% of your body weight should be the right amount of weight to train.

IMO, instead of just lift up and put down a huge rock, it's better to move a less weight rock so you can have some fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

WOW!
In fairness, that's pretty easy with me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean? I don't understand your question. But I can tell you a lot of reasons why barbell lifting is in fact the end all and be all of strength training. I would argue that to the ends of the world. There is no better strength training tool out there than barbell lifting. Maybe for endurance it's a different story. But STRENGTH? It's blasphemy to say it isn't.

Here you go. serious answer.

Latest Discussions