A serious question to adept martial artists about physical fitness...

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is where you and I will clash. Imposing your truth won’t work with, on, or near me. I won’t buy it. In fact, the harder you push, the less I’m interested.

I understand passion. I even understand non-religious evangelism - I’m pretty evangelical about good management and leadership. But when your passion leads you to mock alternatives simply because they aren’t your preferred approach, your mind is closed, and will close most it encounters.

I see the concept of having a closed mind to be a virtue. Such a mind is, the way I see it, incorruptible.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So are kettlebells, the plates on Nautilus machines, large rocks, and dumbbells.

Yes, of course, but barbells are at the top of the food chain. They're the tiger of the jungle and the lion of the safari.

Other weight implements have their place. It's just that barbell training should be the staple in most strength training programs.

And now... I'd like to shift this discussion to endurance training. Let's talk about that... This is a barbell's weakness to an extent. What is your opinion about that? Kettlebells are great conditioning tools and are more ergonomic than barbells.

The high-repetition power cleans that many Crossfitters do is a terrible idea. It's asking for an injury. High-rep squats, yes. But not high-rep cleans. I think this is where other weight equipments actually become better than a barbell. Kettlebell swings and goblet squats are great conditioning tools. There's a sport built around kettlebells called Girevoy. It involves one-arm snatching a heavy kettlebell for as many times as you can...

When it comes to endurance training, I'm not sure which one is better. Running vs kettlebells...

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you know better than us, why would our opinions matter?

I never said I knew better. I simply stated that I'm brilliant, which is true.

I never said that others were not as brilliant as I am. Everyone is brilliant in their own way.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

I never said that others were not as brilliant as I am. Everyone is brilliant in their own way.
Okay you are so a troll or just a total douche

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

First page post 19 I understand that this question of mine has certain implications within it. It is this one: I think I know better than you...

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay you are so a troll or just a total douche

I am not a troll and I'm not a douche.

There's a lot of things I can say about myself. The one thing that I will say most proudly though, is this...

I am destined for greatness. One day everybody will look back to the 21st century and say, "Zombocalypse really made a difference."

If you're willing to risk it, I can coach you online. I'll help you enhance your martial arts abilities through strength training. I have experience coaching others. I'll take your striking power and grappling power to new heights. All I ask for is faith in me and an open mind. I'm sure I can teach you things you haven't learned yet.

In the same way, you can teach new things to me too.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
No it's not. My brilliance is self-evident and very justified. The Dunning-Kruger effect applies to delusional people only.
please stop ...your making my drinks come out my nose.
you have no credentials.
"i pick things up and put them down"
is not a credential.

i can assume you didnt even bother looking at the links i posted. you may have noticed one of the people in the links has a....DR. in front of their name..., being a DR. in kinesiology and a professional trainer to the top athletes in the world.....now that is a credential.

like i said before your just arguing and wasting time. get off the PC and go get your self an actual education on this subject. go actually do something of value. then come back and re read everything you have written. it may be enlightening.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First page post 19 I understand that this question of mine has certain implications within it. It is this one: I think I know better than you...

No no no. I WASN'T saying that I did. I was just saying that behind my question is an assumption that I think I know better. I never directly said that I knew better. Rather, it was cleverly disguised by my very own brilliance and sharp wit.

BIG difference.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, of course, but barbells are at the top of the food chain. They're the tiger of the jungle and the lion of the safari.

Other weight implements have their place. It's just that barbell training should be the staple in most strength training programs.

And now... I'd like to shift this discussion to endurance training. Let's talk about that... This is a barbell's weakness to an extent. What is your opinion about that? Kettlebells are great conditioning tools and are more ergonomic than barbells.

The high-repetition power cleans that many Crossfitters do is a terrible idea. It's asking for an injury. High-rep squats, yes. But not high-rep cleans. I think this is where other weight equipments actually become better than a barbell. Kettlebell swings and goblet squats are great conditioning tools. There's a sport built around kettlebells called Girevoy. It involves one-arm snatching a heavy kettlebell for as many times as you can...

When it comes to endurance training, I'm not sure which one is better. Running vs kettlebells...

well no, seems as your in love. With bar bells, just put less weight on and lift it 50,100, 500 times, that will sort you endurance out,

there isn't much that is better than running for cardio, biking and rowing come close

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Please keep it civil and on-topic. Violators will be given warning points, and you're not going to like what happens when you accumulate too many of them.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not a troll and I'm not a douche.

There's a lot of things I can say about myself. The one thing that I will say most proudly though, is this...

I am destined for greatness. One day everybody will look back to the 21st century and say, "Zombocalypse really made a difference."

If you're willing to risk it, I can coach you online. I'll help you enhance your martial arts abilities through strength training. I have experience coaching others. I'll take your striking power and grappling power to new heights. All I ask for is faith in me and an open mind. I'm sure I can teach you things you haven't learned yet.

In the same way, you can teach new things to me too.
Lol like I'd take advice from some guy online who loves himself way to much

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well no, seems as your in love. With bar bells, just put less weight on and lift it 50,100, 500 times, that will sort you endurance out,

there isn't much that is better than running for cardio, biking and rowing come close

Honestly, I prefer rowing over running. Running is not really healthy for the knees, believe it or not. Long-distance running, that is. It's a "ballistic" movement that hits your joints worse than heavy squats.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Trolling
Lol like I'd take advice from some guy online who loves himself way to much

I insist that you accept me as a coach. It'll benefit the both of us. It'll enhance my leadership abilities and you'll enhance your physical prowess.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Without actual, tangible credentials, no one is going to put faith in you. Or at least no one in their right mind will. Why do people put faith into what Mike Boyle, Mike Clark, Juan Carlos Santana, et al say? Because they have an actual scientific education from an actual accredited and respected university, have passed certification/board exams, have worked under and alongside high level people within their field, and have proven the results of the work they’ve replicated and the things they’ve developed on their own. And they’ve proven time and time again beyond “I went from lifting X lbs to Y lbs in Z weeks” “all my friends say I’m great” and “I’m destined for greatness.”

As far as any one keeping an open mind about what you’ll teach them, didn’t you say a closed mind is a “virtue” and “incorruptible?”

You’re on another level, I guess. Everyone should keep an open mind about training EXCEPT you.

Got it. Where do I sign up, Mr. Koresh?

Latest Discussions