A retorical question

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If Martial Artist do not believe in fighting then why train yourself to fight?

If Martial Artist are trained not to fight then why fight at all?

If Martial Artist are trained not to be in an uncomfatable stituation then why are they?

Terry

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that some MAtists dont belive in fighting, but train to fight just because of the philosophy (SP?) of their martial art.

dtfrank

White Belt
Reaction score
There are lots of reasons for taking MA. You may not want to fight, but in this day and age you might certainly be put in the position to protect you and your family. There is also all the other reasons from exercise and to gain a further understanding of the philosophy behind the martial artsl.

David F.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

If Martial Artist are trained not to be in an uncomfatable stituation then why are they?

Terry

I would venture that a martial artist doesn't fight needlessly.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would answer, but you said it was a rhetorical question so you are not expecting an answer. But since I already did in fact give an answer, why stop there

terryl965 said:

Who says they don't believe in fighting?

terryl965 said:

Martial artists are trained to fight, the philosophy behind it says to avoid fighting if possible, aka runaway if you can. Because fighting is, and was, a very serious thing in the old days, people died in fights and still do. I could go into a long story from an old bagua guy I once talked to on the seriousness of fighting, but I did that once before somewhere on MT and I do not wish to bore you all again with it.

terryl965 said:

This one I do not understand at all, sorry.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score

Terry

well first of all i beleive in fighting.
second i train to fight.
third, i like uncomfortable situations

i train with my wife and kids, so some part of it is a family thing. but another part of it is i likee challenging myself. i feel like i have to train just to keep me from going out and finding people who mean to harm someone. and sometimes i do. i like fighting. but i don't like starting fights. i know that doesn't make much sense.

with respect
painstain

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I would answer, but you said it was a rhetorical question so you are not expecting an answer. But since I already did in fact give an answer, why stop there

Who says they don't believe in fighting?

Martial artists are trained to fight, the philosophy behind it says to avoid fighting if possible, aka runaway if you can. Because fighting is, and was, a very serious thing in the old days, people died in fights and still do. I could go into a long story from an old bagua guy I once talked to on the seriousness of fighting, but I did that once before somewhere on MT and I do not wish to bore you all again with it.

This one I do not understand at all, sorry.

The question is wht do some go out into elements they are not comfatable with, I.E.different area of town and such.
Terry

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train to fight because i have had to befor
I train to fight because **** happens sometimes
I try to stay out of uncomfortable situations but (see #2) and sometimes our jobs may put is in situations that are not the best

JC2005

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

Terry

I think over-all the mental training that one can recieve from taking MA is better then the physical aspect. the focus, self-discipline, and self-control that you get in my opinion something that everyone should have and taking MA certainly helps. dont get me wrong the physical aspect of training is amazing and if you ever had to defend yourself or someone else you would feel more confident then someone who is untrained. but taking martial arts has helped in many different aspects of my life, I had more focus and self-control in school. I had more self- discipline, and the confidence boost I had shocked some of my friends at school. before I started training I was that little skinny kid in the back of every group but I am the leader of my friends that I hang out with.

JC2005:)

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
What qualifies as fighting?

Are we trained not to fight?

I don't understand the question.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

Terry I can only answer these from perspective and thats it.

1- I believe in fighting, for the right reasons. My pride is not the right reason, my safety and that of my loved one's is...

2- You don't always have a choice in whether you can fight or not, stuff happens and dispite what most people who lack real life experience tell say violence is a solution.

3- You can not exist solely in your comfort zone, otherwise you are living in fear of change which is the only constant.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
The question is wht do some go out into elements they are not comfatable with, I.E.different area of town and such.
Terry

Thank you for the clarification.

My answer, you can't spend life locked in a closet.

I do not feel, in most cases, that they are going out to a bad area looking for trouble, they just happen to be in a bad area and trouble finds them.

Everybody whether it is a martial artist or non-martial artist has to go places they do not necessarily want to be, that's life.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

Terry
#1: The reason that I (the only person I can account for) train to be a "Warrior" is that ONLY a warrior can chose to be a pacifist....
NON-warriors cannot chose it, they are condemned to it.

#2: Because there are things in this world that are worth struggling to protect.

#3: Because those type of situations cannot always be avoided. The training to avoid them keeps us responsible for how we handle our lives. The training to overcome aggression makes us repsonsible for how we defend those lives.

Your Brother
John

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul B said:
I would venture that a martial artist doesn't fight needlessly.

Perfect. Couldn't have put that better if I tried. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Our brain still functions as "FIGHT OR FLEE"

Learning the martial arts...gives you more choices...to fight back or run! Does this make sense? Our world has a lot of growing up to do yet.

We are taught not to use skills for 'Bullying, or to take advantage of the weak".

To build our body,mind and spirit, be a stronger and better person. ...Aloha

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

Terry

Some arts have a combative feel and also a dueling feel so fighting or competition is part of the training.

Others teach peace and tranquility as part of their philosophy and so the idea of martial arts as being for self defense only is part of the cultural aspect.

The more age one gets and the more one understands who much one does to know then they begin to realize the risks and dangers and avoid the situations that confratations occur from.

Latest Discussions