in the way of danger

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
i know not to many will share this opinion. however i know there has to be a few.

who will actually put themselves in harms way just to fight or protect yourself??

not that fighting is good, but who actually likes it. i take traditional tkd with a twist of kung fu, hapkido, and judo. and i actually put myself in the way of danger just to fight. i don't know what else to say. i like to fight when i'm not the one starting it. i like getting punched at and actually getting punched gives me an adrinaline rush. i wish i could say i train so i don't have to fight. but with all honesty, i set myself up to get picked on and i put myself in positions to defend myself. i don't know why. i'm almost thirty with 4 children. but to me is a great rush to find a bad spot in town and wait to get messed with. i don't start trouble, i just encourage trouble makers to mess with me. i suppose thats just as bad. but i like it.

am i the only one out here who likes to challenge todays style of punks!?

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not this kid.

Around here it would be a good way (if not a sure way) to end up taking a dirt nap. I think it would be irresponsible of me to behave in such a manner.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I'm not a masochist and I will absolutely will not fight until driven to. To put myself in harms' way? For what purpose?
Some B&B is shouting at me from across the bar wanting/threatening to kick my ***? No.

Some kid or adult is clearly not able to defend themselves adequately. Perhaps. Definitely for a kid... the adult ... all depends upon circumstances.

I learned MA for SD reasons. I continue MA-training (whenever/where-ever I can get it) to keep my skills where they need to be to SD and to further my spiritual growth in relation to mind/body/spirit relations.

To go "Yeee-HAW!! Hot Damn! A fight!" ... that's the old me... very old me... now-a-days... it's more akin to... aww rats!

:asian:

OP
P

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
the way i see it is alot of these punks out here are just waiting for a victim. most victims wont even try to defend themselves. why not surprise them. i guess i do express such impractical behavior but its better then being caught off guard

with respect
painstain

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
to me is a great rush to find a bad spot in town and wait to get messed with. i don't start trouble, i just encourage trouble makers to mess with me. i suppose thats just as bad. but i like it.

I hope you get stabbed.

Well, no thats not entirely correct. I don't want you to get stabbed. I just think it'd serve you right.

OP
P

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
ok for the record for those of you who think i may be getting into something more dangerous then i realize.

ive been stabbed while being robbed when i was sixteen.
i have been shot at more than a dozen times growing up in denver
i have had the back of my head repaired from brass knuckles
i have had two ribs broken by a bat in a gang fight that i was NOT envolved in.
not to mention i was one of those kids who got their shoes hat and coat took on a weekly basis.

so before you go say that its just a matter of time before i get stabbed, or even if you hope i do. don't think i'm getting myself into something i know nothing about. i grew up with all these punks and all these thirty year old peaceful mAists. i' just not at a part of my life where i can say i'll stand back and do nothing like most of the world would and wait for someone else to get victimized other than me. i would rather it be me than my sister or mother or your sister or mother. it can happen anywhere no matter where you live so you can't where the protection of a great enviroment. but you can ignore, or refuse to ignore.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
ive been stabbed while being robbed when i was sixteen.
i have been shot at more than a dozen times growing up in denver
i have had the back of my head repaired from brass knuckles
i have had two ribs broken by a bat in a gang fight that i was NOT envolved in.
not to mention i was one of those kids who got their shoes hat and coat took on a weekly basis.

Wow, you sound really tough!

:rolleyes:

What does that make you? Doubly stupid for knowingly placing yourself in potentially deadly situations just for kicks.

"Hmm, I feel a little lackluster today. I might go and have some gang-members try to stab me, that should perk me right up!"

i' just not at a part of my life where i can say i'll stand back and do nothing like most of the world would and wait for someone else to get victimized other than me.

So join the police force.

it can happen anywhere no matter where you live so you can't where the protection of a great enviroment. but you can ignore, or refuse to ignore.

Ah, I see now. Since people can become victims of crime, the most logical thing to do is increase our chances of becoming victims of crime.

Seriously, if you want to try and prove how big your jingle bells are, become a professional fighter. If Pride and the UFC aren't 'real' enough for you, start moonlighting as a bouncer.

If you want to help people and reduce crime, join the police and start locking up criminals.

All you're doing at the moment is putting yourself at risk of serious injury or death, just for thrills.

OP
P

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
hah, you talk about the police like they actually do something. they are the worst gang i've ever delt with. and its not about being tough, its about ..... welll hell i guess it is. are you saying your not?

OP
P

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
or maybe you think you are.... and still do nothing. i mean if you train for years, yeah your tough, doesn't mean your willing to do anything. you can't use the police as if they were good. were are you from, where police are where they are actually needed. i don't live in that world i'm on earth, where people do nothing!

with respect
painstain

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
hah, you talk about the police like they actually do something. they are the worst gang i've ever delt with.

So join up, root out corruption and improve the efficiency of the entire organisation. At the worst the corrupt cops will try and kill you, but you seem to get a kick out of that so it's a win-win scenario.

and its not about being tough, its about ..... welll hell i guess it is. are you saying your not?

I'm secure enough in my opinions of myself that I don't need to prove how tough I am by actively encouraging criminals to assault and mug me.

OP
P

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
clueless!!!

of course with respect
painstain

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
clueless!!!

of course with respect
painstain

How so? Because I assume the police force is more effective at reducing crime than your needless acts of vigilantism?

Well call me crazy then...

OP
P

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
i'm not going to go into what i think of the police force other than i think they sell their soul for a badge and a gun. i don't go around bustin crimes. i just don't allow myself to get bullied. accept of course by the police. i wouldn't give up fatherhood to try to stand up to some young untrained or old too trained crooked cop. nor am i saying every cop is like that. there just aren't enough good ones to make up for the power trippin trigger happy nazis!

with respect
doug

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
i don't go around bustin crimes. i just don't allow myself to get bullied.

No, you deliberately seek out violent criminals and attempt to have them attack you. Completely different from not getting bullied.

i wouldn't give up fatherhood to try to stand up to some young untrained or old too trained crooked cop.

But it's okay to give up your life to prove to yourself how tough you are?

I think your priorities need to be re-examined.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
painstain said:
....i wouldn't give up fatherhood to try to stand up to some young untrained or old too trained crooked cop.

So you're saying you would give it up just to get your kicks (pun intended) trying to intimidate would-be gangsters? I say "would be" because the real thing would've pulled your card a long time ago and not even felt bad about it.

Don't believe me? Come to Gary and try talking smack.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
painstain said:
i know not to many will share this opinion. however i know there has to be a few.

who will actually put themselves in harms way just to fight or protect yourself??

not that fighting is good, but who actually likes it. i take traditional tkd with a twist of kung fu, hapkido, and judo. and i actually put myself in the way of danger just to fight. i don't know what else to say. i like to fight when i'm not the one starting it. i like getting punched at and actually getting punched gives me an adrinaline rush. i wish i could say i train so i don't have to fight. but with all honesty, i set myself up to get picked on and i put myself in positions to defend myself. i don't know why. i'm almost thirty with 4 children. but to me is a great rush to find a bad spot in town and wait to get messed with. i don't start trouble, i just encourage trouble makers to mess with me. i suppose thats just as bad. but i like it.

This is gonna be a tough one to respond to, and I hope you will bear with me.

You mention you are a father.

with that in mind, are you able to understand why i view this desire to go out and risk your life/health as selfish?

Suppose you go out one night and engage in the activities you mention.

Okay--you gave us a list of things earlier that have happened to you that you survived to prove you "know what you're getting into". Fine. You've been a lucky guy so far.

If all you are going to trust to is luck-----then for your kids' sake, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Luck runs out quick, though. You step up to the table to gamble one last time, and the next thing you know.............."Snake-Eyes". End of the line.

Suppose this happens. Your luck runs out--maybe even during your next pub crawl--you run into that knife from behind, or there's finally too many at once or you just happen across that Random Punk Who Just Got Lucky(TM)--and you die.

What's your funeral like?

Do the kids also have their mother in their lives? If not, who will raise them right? If it's just you as their parent, what kind of emotional scarring do you think that will leave on them when the supporting figure in their life is not only gone, but was taken from them by violence?

You haven't mentioned their ages, but suppose they are old enough when this happens to understand that their father knew what he was doing, and rather than remain part of their lives, he chose this fate with both eyes open? What do you think that would do to them?

Or don't you even care?

What do you think this will do to them? And to your entire family? What are the expressions on your kids' faces when they see your remains in that funeral home and it sinks in that Dad's gone?

You mention you wouldn't give up fatherhood to tangle with a cop. That says to me you DO care for your kids. Fine. Love them enough to LIVE for them, not DIE for them. There is nothing you can do for them when you're dead.

If you don't care about your own life, neither do I. But do you understand why I find it extremely frustrating that you don't seem to realize that once you become a parent it's more than just YOUR life?

Are you able to understand why I have said what I said?

Please consider it.

OP
P

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
hah!! its funny you won't fight for whats right but you say come to gary and find out. well gary, if you were a gang banger, and now you train, than you would be talking to a mirror. if you were a bange r anow ypour not, then your just like every martial artisists that says you used to be a black belt. and if your out to find a victim, then i might just meet you someday.

with respect
painstain

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uhmm..no. I am sorry for the confusion. Gary Indiana is the murder capital of the US..some say the world. Very rough neighborhood and I'm on it's front step.

I have never been a banger,but I have had more than my share of run-ins with them and each time I have been extremely fortunate to have survived. There's no need to tempt fate,especially when it can come knocking so easily.

OP
P

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
andy

i didn't say i make the smartest choices. i don't go to pubs or bars or parties by the way. i do far little then my previous posts would indicate. the point is, if i can stand in the way of this guy with no skill looking for crack money and your wife, or mother or daughter, then you would be thankful. whats his face that i was argueing with is just trying to look like some great guy that wouldn't risk his own neck, ANd hey, thats fine, i'm just sayin i will. like i said to begin with i don't expect many martial artists to agree with me. doesn't matter. if it was your mom or daughter or wife or sister anyone would be thanking me. i thank you for your concern. its much better than say you wish i got stabbed.

with respect,
doug hilton

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
painstain said:
i'm almost thirty with 4 children. but to me is a great rush to find a bad spot in town and wait to get messed with. i don't start trouble, i just encourage trouble makers to mess with me. i suppose thats just as bad. but i like it.

Almost thirty with four children? That seems kind of advanced in years (I'm not saying 'old') with too much responsibility to have that type of mentality. It's funny that you consider the others like you the 'punks'. Are you supposed to be above them somehow?

Just curious,
crushing

Latest Discussions